Octave/Gnuplot: set terminal windows

Greg
Hello again for my second question of the day:

I'm trying to use Gnuplot with Octave. After quite a big number of tries, I found this funny thing:

The command "peaks" typed in Octave compiled with Microsoft Visual uses the 'wxt' terminal, wheras the Octave compiled with MinGW uses the 'windows' terminal.

The situation is the following: I need to use the Microsoft Visual package, but I want the 'windows' terminal of Gnuplot.

I have created a GNUPLOT.INI in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming with the single line "set terminal windows". It works because after that, running directly Gnuplot and typing "plot sin(x)" uses the 'windows' terminal.

And the problem is that the "peaks" command still runs Gnuplot with the 'wxt' terminal. It seems that Gnuplot ignores this config file when called by Octave.

How to change this behaviour and use the 'windows' terminal when plotting from Octave?

Thanks!

Greg

Re: Octave/Gnuplot: set terminal windows

martin_helm
Am 05.10.2012 16:51, schrieb Greg:

> Hello again for my second question of the day:
>
> I'm trying to use Gnuplot with Octave. After quite a big number of
> tries, I found this funny thing:
>
> The command "peaks" typed in Octave compiled with Microsoft Visual
> uses the 'wxt' terminal, wheras the Octave compiled with MinGW uses
> the 'windows' terminal.
>
> The situation is the following: I need to use the Microsoft Visual
> package, but I want the 'windows' terminal of Gnuplot.
>
> I have created a GNUPLOT.INI in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming with
> the single line "set terminal windows". It works because after that,
> running directly Gnuplot and typing "plot sin(x)" uses the 'windows'
> terminal.
>
> And the problem is that the "peaks" command still runs Gnuplot with
> the 'wxt' terminal. It seems that Gnuplot ignores this config file
> when called by Octave.
>
> How to change this behaviour and use the 'windows' terminal when
> plotting from Octave?
>

> Thanks!
>

> Greg

you set that within octave by

setenv ("GNUTERM", "windows");

you may want to add this command to your .octaverc file, I do not know
where this is located on windows (on Linux it is in /home/username so I
guess in windows it is something like c:\user\username)

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Martin Helm <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 05.10.2012 16:51, schrieb Greg:
> Hello again for my second question of the day:
>
> I'm trying to use Gnuplot with Octave. After quite a big number of
> tries, I found this funny thing:
>
> The command "peaks" typed in Octave compiled with Microsoft Visual
> uses the 'wxt' terminal, wheras the Octave compiled with MinGW uses
> the 'windows' terminal.
>
> The situation is the following: I need to use the Microsoft Visual
> package, but I want the 'windows' terminal of Gnuplot.
>
> I have created a GNUPLOT.INI in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming with
> the single line "set terminal windows". It works because after that,
> running directly Gnuplot and typing "plot sin(x)" uses the 'windows'
> terminal.
>
> And the problem is that the "peaks" command still runs Gnuplot with
> the 'wxt' terminal. It seems that Gnuplot ignores this config file
> when called by Octave.
>
> How to change this behaviour and use the 'windows' terminal when
> plotting from Octave?
>

> Thanks!
>

> Greg

you set that within octave by

setenv ("GNUTERM", "windows");

you may want to add this command to your .octaverc file, I do not know
where this is located on windows (on Linux it is in /home/username so I
guess in windows it is something like c:\user\username)

Thanks, it just works!

Have a good day!

Greg