Octave Gui, inaccessible editor with multiple monitors

Octave Gui, inaccessible editor with multiple monitors

nrjank
Just ran into this last night. not sure if there's a good workaround:

At work I run Octave on a laptop with a docking station and a 2-screen setup.  Working yesterday, I had the main Octave GUI on the main screen and the editor undocked over on the second monitor.  closed octave, undocked the laptop, went home.

Opened up Octave later with just the laptop screen, and couldn't find or get to the editor window. I selected the Reset Default Window Layout option, and the editor reappeared as a Tab behind the command window.  Undocking it again, it went back to the same unreachable off-screen position. Came back into work again this morning, undock the editor, grabbed it from the second screen and moved it back to the first one.

can avoid it now, but is this an issue with the Octave GUI or just unavoidable when shutting down/reopening with different monitor configurations?

Nick J.

Re: Octave Gui, inaccessible editor with multiple monitors

Mike Miller-4
On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 13:17:04 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

> Just ran into this last night. not sure if there's a good workaround:
>
> At work I run Octave on a laptop with a docking station and a 2-screen
> setup.  Working yesterday, I had the main Octave GUI on the main screen and
> the editor undocked over on the second monitor.  closed octave, undocked
> the laptop, went home.
>
> Opened up Octave later with just the laptop screen, and couldn't find or
> get to the editor window. I selected the Reset Default Window Layout
> option, and the editor reappeared as a Tab behind the command window.
> Undocking it again, it went back to the same unreachable off-screen
> position. Came back into work again this morning, undock the editor,
> grabbed it from the second screen and moved it back to the first one.
>
> can avoid it now, but is this an issue with the Octave GUI or just
> unavoidable when shutting down/reopening with different monitor
> configurations?

Have you tried undocking the editor by dragging its title bar (the
horizontal area labeled "Editor")? I can reproduce your scenario in
Gnome by using the dock/undock icons (except that the editor is moved
back to a primary desktop after I unplug the secondary monitor), but
dragging the editor window by its title bar undocks it and lets the
mouse place it anywhere.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 13:17:04 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> Just ran into this last night. not sure if there's a good workaround:
>
> At work I run Octave on a laptop with a docking station and a 2-screen
> setup.  Working yesterday, I had the main Octave GUI on the main screen and
> the editor undocked over on the second monitor.  closed octave, undocked
> the laptop, went home.
>
> Opened up Octave later with just the laptop screen, and couldn't find or
> get to the editor window. I selected the Reset Default Window Layout
> option, and the editor reappeared as a Tab behind the command window.
> Undocking it again, it went back to the same unreachable off-screen
> position. Came back into work again this morning, undock the editor,
> grabbed it from the second screen and moved it back to the first one.
>
> can avoid it now, but is this an issue with the Octave GUI or just
> unavoidable when shutting down/reopening with different monitor
> configurations?

Have you tried undocking the editor by dragging its title bar (the
horizontal area labeled "Editor")? I can reproduce your scenario in
Gnome by using the dock/undock icons (except that the editor is moved
back to a primary desktop after I unplug the secondary monitor), but
dragging the editor window by its title bar undocks it and lets the
mouse place it anywhere.

Sorry, first point I left out, I'm running Windows 7.  So this could be unique to how Windows handles things.

In Windows, you cannot remove the editor from the main GUI by dragging.  I think this was brought up in another thread. dragging will change it's position in the main GUI window, but if you drag it outside of the main window it just snaps back after releasing the mouse button. The only way to get it outside the main window is with the Undock Widget button.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 3:01 PM, Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 13:17:04 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> Just ran into this last night. not sure if there's a good workaround:
>
> At work I run Octave on a laptop with a docking station and a 2-screen
> setup.  Working yesterday, I had the main Octave GUI on the main screen and
> the editor undocked over on the second monitor.  closed octave, undocked
> the laptop, went home.
>
> Opened up Octave later with just the laptop screen, and couldn't find or
> get to the editor window. I selected the Reset Default Window Layout
> option, and the editor reappeared as a Tab behind the command window.
> Undocking it again, it went back to the same unreachable off-screen
> position. Came back into work again this morning, undock the editor,
> grabbed it from the second screen and moved it back to the first one.
>
> can avoid it now, but is this an issue with the Octave GUI or just
> unavoidable when shutting down/reopening with different monitor
> configurations?

Have you tried undocking the editor by dragging its title bar (the
horizontal area labeled "Editor")? I can reproduce your scenario in
Gnome by using the dock/undock icons (except that the editor is moved
back to a primary desktop after I unplug the secondary monitor), but
dragging the editor window by its title bar undocks it and lets the
mouse place it anywhere.

Sorry, first point I left out, I'm running Windows 7.  So this could be unique to how Windows handles things.

In Windows, you cannot remove the editor from the main GUI by dragging.  I think this was brought up in another thread. dragging will change it's position in the main GUI window, but if you drag it outside of the main window it just snaps back after releasing the mouse button. The only way to get it outside the main window is with the Undock Widget button.

nick j

Also, running 4.0.0.  don't have any of the RC's installed on this machine if any of the windows GUI behavior has been changed.

Re: Octave Gui, inaccessible editor with multiple monitors

PhilipNienhuis
NJank wrote
On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 13:17:04 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> > Just ran into this last night. not sure if there's a good workaround:
> >
> > At work I run Octave on a laptop with a docking station and a 2-screen
> > setup.  Working yesterday, I had the main Octave GUI on the main screen
> and
> > the editor undocked over on the second monitor.  closed octave, undocked
> > the laptop, went home.
> >
> > Opened up Octave later with just the laptop screen, and couldn't find or
> > get to the editor window. I selected the Reset Default Window Layout
> > option, and the editor reappeared as a Tab behind the command window.
> > Undocking it again, it went back to the same unreachable off-screen
> > position. Came back into work again this morning, undock the editor,
> > grabbed it from the second screen and moved it back to the first one.
> >
> > can avoid it now, but is this an issue with the Octave GUI or just
> > unavoidable when shutting down/reopening with different monitor
> > configurations?
>
> Have you tried undocking the editor by dragging its title bar (the
> horizontal area labeled "Editor")? I can reproduce your scenario in
> Gnome by using the dock/undock icons (except that the editor is moved
> back to a primary desktop after I unplug the secondary monitor), but
> dragging the editor window by its title bar undocks it and lets the
> mouse place it anywhere.
>
> --
> mike

Sorry, first point I left out, I'm running Windows 7.  So this could be
unique to how Windows handles things.

In Windows, you cannot remove the editor from the main GUI by dragging.  I
think this was brought up in another thread. dragging will change it's
position in the main GUI window, but if you drag it outside of the main
window it just snaps back after releasing the mouse button. The only way to
get it outside the main window is with the Undock Widget button.
Looks like your only option is to delete the qt-settings file in your %USERPROFILE%\.config directory.

I have a backup of that file from some working window layout with some undocked panes & my favorite settings.

Philip

Re: Octave Gui, inaccessible editor with multiple monitors

Torsten-2
On 29.01.2016 23:20, PhilipNienhuis wrote:

> NJank wrote
>> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Mike Miller &lt;
>
>> mtmiller@
>
>> &gt; wrote:

>>> and
>>> undocked

>>> or

>>> Have you tried undocking the editor by dragging its title bar (the
>>> horizontal area labeled "Editor")? I can reproduce your scenario in
>>> Gnome by using the dock/undock icons (except that the editor is moved
>>> back to a primary desktop after I unplug the secondary monitor), but
>>> dragging the editor window by its title bar undocks it and lets the
>>> mouse place it anywhere.
>>>
>>> --
>>> mike
>>>

>> Sorry, first point I left out, I'm running Windows 7.  So this could be
>> unique to how Windows handles things.
>>
>> In Windows, you cannot remove the editor from the main GUI by dragging.  I
>> think this was brought up in another thread. dragging will change it's
>> position in the main GUI window, but if you drag it outside of the main
>> window it just snaps back after releasing the mouse button. The only way
>> get it outside the main window is with the Undock Widget button.
>
> Looks like your only option is to delete the qt-settings file in your
> %USERPROFILE%\.config directory.
>
> I have a backup of that file from some working window layout with some
> undocked panes & my favorite settings.
>
> Philip

We could add menu entries for un-/docking the widgets apart from the
buttoms in their title bars. Then there is no need to reset the complete
window layout. Sure, a better way would be to detect whether a widget is
placed on a non-existing monitor but I am not sure if there are ways to
detect this.

Torsten

Re: Octave Gui, inaccessible editor with multiple monitors

nrjank
On 29.01.2016 23:20, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
> NJank wrote
>> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Mike Miller <
>
>> mtmiller@
>
>> > wrote:

>>> and
>>> undocked

>>> or

>>> Have you tried undocking the editor by dragging its title bar (the
>>> horizontal area labeled "Editor")? I can reproduce your scenario in
>>> Gnome by using the dock/undock icons (except that the editor is moved
>>> back to a primary desktop after I unplug the secondary monitor), but
>>> dragging the editor window by its title bar undocks it and lets the
>>> mouse place it anywhere.
>>>
>>> --
>>> mike
>>>

>> Sorry, first point I left out, I'm running Windows 7.  So this could be
>> unique to how Windows handles things.
>>
>> In Windows, you cannot remove the editor from the main GUI by dragging.  I
>> think this was brought up in another thread. dragging will change it's
>> position in the main GUI window, but if you drag it outside of the main
>> window it just snaps back after releasing the mouse button. The only way
>> get it outside the main window is with the Undock Widget button.
>
> Looks like your only option is to delete the qt-settings file in your
> %USERPROFILE%\.config directory.
>
> I have a backup of that file from some working window layout with some
> undocked panes & my favorite settings.
>
> Philip

We could add menu entries for un-/docking the widgets apart from the
buttoms in their title bars. Then there is no need to reset the complete
window layout. Sure, a better way would be to detect whether a widget is
placed on a non-existing monitor but I am not sure if there are ways to
detect this.

Torsten

Thought it worth noting for posterity that on Windows 7+, you can just Alt-Tab to switch to the non-visible window, then use the Windows Key + Left or Right buttons to cycle through the window snap positions. it'll eventually wind up on the visible screen at which you can work with it like normal.

Nick J.