Octave RPM packages, where?

Bernt Nilsson
Hello all,

I have found Octave 2.0.5 packaged with RedHat's RPM package manager, but I
cannot find version 2.0.9 put together this way. Is there anyone who knows
where I can find this?

Thanks for your time!

Bernt

Bernt Nilsson                      email : [hidden email]
FOA-650                              tel :      08 - 7063611
172 90 Stockholm                     fax :      08 - 7063543

Octave RPM packages, where?

John W. Eaton-6
On 10-Aug-1997, Bernt Nilsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I have found Octave 2.0.5 packaged with RedHat's RPM package manager, but I
| cannot find version 2.0.9 put together this way. Is there anyone who knows
| where I can find this?

Using http://ftpsearch.ntnu.no/ftpsearch to do a case sensitive glob
search for octave-2.0.9*.rpm didn't turn up anything.  That's too bad,
because there are a few semi-serious bugs in 2.0.5 that are fixed in
2.0.9.

If the people who make the rpm files would help to create Makefile
targets to build RPM files and contribute the changes back to me, then
RPM files (for i386 Linux systems, at least) might start to appear
along with the source releases.

In the meantime, binary distributions of Octave 2.0.9 for several
systems (including i386 Linux, if that is what you are looking for)
from ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/BINARIES/2.0.9.  They are not
packaged as RPM files, but they are easy to install.

Re: Octave RPM packages, where?

Dirk Eddelbuettel-2

Sorry, can't help with RedHat ... but I have been releasing Debian packages
of Octave versions 2.0.{5,6,7,8,9}. These are made available through the
Debian mirrors (please see ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/README.mirrors for a
list of 78 mirrors worldwide).

If there's interest, I could also upload them to ftp.che.wisc.edu.

--
[hidden email]  [hidden email]  http://rosebud.sps.queensu.ca/~edd
PGP KeyID 1024/6D7F08DD     Boycott Internet Spam: http://www.vix.com/pub/spam

Re: Octave RPM packages, where?

Michele Marziani
On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Sorry, can't help with RedHat ... but I have been releasing Debian packages
> of Octave versions 2.0.{5,6,7,8,9}. These are made available through the
> Debian mirrors (please see ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/README.mirrors for a
> list of 78 mirrors worldwide).

I'd like to add that these pre-built Debian packages have always worked
well for my (enhanced)-RedHat Linux installation, once converted to RPM
archives with the "alien" tool.

See ftp://kite.ml.org/pub/code for the latest version of alien or the
.../contrib subtree of any RedHat mirror for older versions.

A few caveats: the success or failure of any pre-compiled binary is
strongly dependent on the combination of libc/libg++ releases that are
installed. My RedHat installation has been enhanced with libc-5.4.23 and
libg++-2.7.2.1 so the above mentioned DEBs are working well (always check
the package dependencies when using alien). As usual, YMMV.

--
 Michele Marziani
 Dipartimento di Fisica, Universita', 44100 Ferrara, ITALY