Octave Stable ppa

Richard Crozier
Hi List,

Is there any plans to update the Octave stable ppa with the version 4.0
release?

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: Octave Stable ppa

tmacchant

Re: Octave Stable ppa

Colin Macdonald
On 17/06/15 07:58, Richard Crozier wrote:
> Is there any plans to update the Octave stable ppa with the version 4.0
> release?

This is about *Ubuntu*:

https://launchpad.net/~octave/+archive/ubuntu/stable

Assuming the maintainer reads this maillist, could I request that 3.8
stay on there for a while too?  Or perhaps in another ppa.

(I use this with a continuous integration service and it would be useful
to run tests against both 3.8 and 4.0, at least for a while.)

thanks,
Colin

Re: Octave Stable ppa

Richard Crozier
On 17/06/15 08:46, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> [...]

I use Mint Linux, which is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. I
have found ppa's to be useful while waiting for the official package
repos to update. Actually I don't need it personally, I can just build
from source, but for more casual users it's very helpful. I'm referring
to the ppa apparently maintained at [1] by Mike Millar.

[1] https://launchpad.net/~octave/+archive/ubuntu/stable

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: Octave Stable ppa

Mike Miller-4
On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:12:57 +0100, Richard Crozier wrote:
> update. Actually I don't need it personally, I can just build from source,
> but for more casual users it's very helpful. I'm referring to the ppa
> apparently maintained at [1] by Mike Millar.

That PPA contains backports of the latest packaged version of Octave
for previous Ubuntu releases. Once 4.0.0 shows up in the wily
repository, then I will backport it to older releases via the PPA.

Octave Stable PPA Updated

Mike Miller-4
On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 13:42:59 -0400, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:12:57 +0100, Richard Crozier wrote:
> > update. Actually I don't need it personally, I can just build from source,
> > but for more casual users it's very helpful. I'm referring to the ppa
> > apparently maintained at [1] by Mike Millar.
>
> That PPA contains backports of the latest packaged version of Octave
> for previous Ubuntu releases. Once 4.0.0 shows up in the wily
> repository, then I will backport it to older releases via the PPA.

Octave 4.0.0 is now in the development release of Ubuntu (15.10), so
I've now updated the PPA with backports of 4.0.0 to all releases of
Ubuntu.

Enjoy!

Re: Octave Stable PPA Updated

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On Sat, 2015-08-22 at 17:52 -0400, Mike Miller wrote:
> Octave 4.0.0 is now in the development release of Ubuntu (15.10), so
> I've now updated the PPA with backports of 4.0.0 to all releases of
> Ubuntu.

Thank you so much! This will make it easier for me to install Octave
on some machines.

- Jordi G. H.

On 23/08/15 02:03, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> On Sat, 2015-08-22 at 17:52 -0400, Mike Miller wrote:
>> Octave 4.0.0 is now in the development release of Ubuntu (15.10), so
>> I've now updated the PPA with backports of 4.0.0 to all releases of
>> Ubuntu.
>
> Thank you so much! This will make it easier for me to install Octave
> on some machines.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Thanks from me too!

On 22/08/15 22:52, Mike Miller wrote:
> Octave 4.0.0 is now in the development release of Ubuntu (15.10), so
> I've now updated the PPA with backports of 4.0.0 to all releases of
> Ubuntu.

First of all: thanks!  I use this on the Travis continuous integration
service and it works great with one project (octave-doctest).

Unfortunately, on another (octave-symbolic) I get "panic: Illegal
instruction -- stopping myself...", I think on matrix exponential, but
maybe other commands too.

This is on precise (12.04?).  These are virtual machines somewhere so I
don't have direct shell access to debug easily.

Older posts about this error suggest BLAS mismatches...

I can try to debug further but thought I'd ask first.

BTW, from looking at the [files
available](http://ppa.launchpad.net/octave/stable/ubuntu/pool/main/o/octave/),
I don't see any easy way to keep running 3.8.

thanks,
Colin

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 08:13:24 +0100, Colin Macdonald wrote:

> On 22/08/15 22:52, Mike Miller wrote:
> > Octave 4.0.0 is now in the development release of Ubuntu (15.10), so
> > I've now updated the PPA with backports of 4.0.0 to all releases of
> > Ubuntu.
>
> First of all: thanks!  I use this on the Travis continuous integration
> service and it works great with one project (octave-doctest).
>
> Unfortunately, on another (octave-symbolic) I get "panic: Illegal
> instruction -- stopping myself...", I think on matrix exponential, but
> maybe other commands too.
>
> This is on precise (12.04?).  These are virtual machines somewhere so I
> don't have direct shell access to debug easily.
>
> Older posts about this error suggest BLAS mismatches...

Thanks Colin. Thanks to several other emails from other Travis users
I've seen over the last few days, it seems likely that OpenBLAS in 12.04
is a very old version and is not expected to work very well.

Octave 4.0.0 added a Recommends on libopenblas-base, I should clearly
remove that for the backport to 12.04. There will be a new build
forthcoming in the PPA. In the meantime, you can blacklist or simply
uninstall libopenblas-base after octave is installed.

If you would like to help test something for me, can you try installing
the `libatlas3gf-base` package on the same install command as octave?
That should satisfy the OR-dependency and ATLAS should work fine.

> BTW, from looking at the [files
> available](http://ppa.launchpad.net/octave/stable/ubuntu/pool/main/o/octave/),
> I don't see any easy way to keep running 3.8.

Correct. The files are there, but when the Packages file is compiled
only the newest version of a given package name is added to the
metadata. I think the only way to do that would be to maintain a
separate PPA for an “oldstable” version, something I'm not really
interested in taking on.

On 01/09/15 06:50, Mike Miller wrote:
> If you would like to help test something for me, can you try installing
> the `libatlas3gf-base` package on the same install command as octave?
> That should satisfy the OR-dependency and ATLAS should work fine.

Yes, that seems to work!  Thanks.

> I think the only way to do that would be to maintain a
> separate PPA for an “oldstable” version, something I'm not really
> interested in taking on.

That's understandable.

best,
Colin

Re: Octave Stable PPA Updated

Mike Miller-4
(Bcc'ing other PPA users who have contacted me about this issue.)

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 23:41:38 -0700, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> On 01/09/15 06:50, Mike Miller wrote:
>> If you would like to help test something for me, can you try installing
>> the `libatlas3gf-base` package on the same install command as octave?
>> That should satisfy the OR-dependency and ATLAS should work fine.
>
> Yes, that seems to work!  Thanks.

The Octave PPA for Ubuntu 12.04 has now been updated to *not* pull in
OpenBLAS, so there is no need for workarounds anymore.

Thanks to all for helping me to find and fix this problem so quickly!