Octave: Sympy 0.7.6 installation steps.

cfrangos

Hi All,

I have sympy 0.7.4.1 installed in an ubuntu linux 14.04 system.

(1) Is it possible to download sympy 0.7.6 and install this
in my /home directory without disturbing in any way the
standard installation file system ?

(2) Assuming (1) is possible, what are the steps to install the
latest version of the octave symbolic toolbox such that it uses
sympy 0.7.6 installed in my /home directory ?

Re: Octave: Sympy 0.7.6 installation steps.

Mike Miller-4
On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 22:56:17 +0200, Constantine Frangos wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have sympy 0.7.4.1 installed in an ubuntu linux 14.04 system.
>
> (1) Is it possible to download sympy 0.7.6 and install this
> in my /home directory without disturbing in any way the
> standard installation file system ?
>
> (2) Assuming (1) is possible, what are the steps to install the
> latest version of the octave symbolic toolbox such that it uses
> sympy 0.7.6 installed in my /home directory ?

I would recommend using virtualenv to set up a Python environment with
SymPy 1.0. There are many resources for learning virtualenv, but briefly

  $ virtualenv ~/my-sympy-env  ## <- or choose whatever dir you like
  $ . ~/my-sympy-env/bin/activate
  $ pip install sympy
  $ octave
  ## do your Octave / octsympy work
  $ deactivate  ## or just exit the shell

The environment is self-contained and does not intrude on your normal
desktop or shell environment, so you'll have to activate it every time
you want to use this version of SymPy with Octave and octsympy.

And when you're ready to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04, you can simply apt
install octave-symbolic and not deal with any of this.

Re: Octave: Sympy 0.7.6 installation steps.

cfrangos

Hi Mike,

I followed the steps you suggested and managed to install
sympy 1.0 on my ubuntu 14.04 system, and then also installed
the symbolic toolbox 2.4.0.

I ran the command octsympy_tests() and there were no unexpected
failures, while for the symbolic toolbox 2.1.0 there were 89
unexpected failures - see below.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Constantine.

Symbolic toolbox 2.4.0:
  PASS      1571
  FAIL         0
  XFAIL       24
  TIME      286s (233s CPU)

Symbolic toolbox 2.1.0:
  PASS      1012
  FAIL        89
  XFAIL       28
  TIME      239s (196s CPU)

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 22:56:17 +0200, Constantine Frangos wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have sympy 0.7.4.1 installed in an ubuntu linux 14.04 system.
>
> (1) Is it possible to download sympy 0.7.6 and install this
> in my /home directory without disturbing in any way the
> standard installation file system ?
>
> (2) Assuming (1) is possible, what are the steps to install the
> latest version of the octave symbolic toolbox such that it uses
> sympy 0.7.6 installed in my /home directory ?

I would recommend using virtualenv to set up a Python environment with
SymPy 1.0. There are many resources for learning virtualenv, but briefly

  $ virtualenv ~/my-sympy-env  ## <- or choose whatever dir you like
  $ . ~/my-sympy-env/bin/activate
  $ pip install sympy
  $ octave
  ## do your Octave / octsympy work
  $ deactivate  ## or just exit the shell

The environment is self-contained and does not intrude on your normal
desktop or shell environment, so you'll have to activate it every time
you want to use this version of SymPy with Octave and octsympy.

And when you're ready to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04, you can simply apt
install octave-symbolic and not deal with any of this.

Re: Octave: Sympy 0.7.6 installation steps.

Colin Macdonald-2
On 03/11/16 14:10, Constantine Frangos wrote:
> I ran the command octsympy_tests() and there were no unexpected
> failures, while for the symbolic toolbox 2.1.0 there were 89
> unexpected failures - see below.

Thanks for the feedback Constantine (and thanks Mike!).  Those number
sound about right: the symbolic package doesn't try to support future
SymPy versions, so an old package with a new SymPy is likely to lead to
trouble.

If you'd like to document your installation, there is a wiki available
[1], which might help others as well.

best,
Colin

[1] https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-GNU-Linux-installation

Re: Octave: Sympy 0.7.6 installation steps.

cfrangos

Just to clarify, the results I gave for octsympy_tests() are
for:

(1) symbolic toolbox 2.1.0 using sympy-0.7.4.1

(2) symbolic toolbox 2.4 using sympy-1.0

Does this imply that the unexpected errors are possibly
caused by bugs in symbolic toolbox 2.1.0 and/or sympy-0.7.4.1 ?

Regards,
Constantine.

On 11/4/2016 5:26 AM, Constantine Frangos wrote:
> Just to clarify, the results I gave for octsympy_tests() are
> for:
>
> (1) symbolic toolbox 2.1.0 using sympy-0.7.4.1

We never supported such an old sympy, IIRC 0.7.5 was the earliest
version ever supported by the symbolic pkg.  So yes, errors expected in
your case 1.

Colin