Octave.app 3.2.3 for Mac OS X 10.4.x and 10.5.x

Octave.app 3.2.3 for Mac OS X 10.4.x and 10.5.x

Thomas Treichl
Hi,

by the end of this year I'll take a break from building future versions of
Octave.app. If there is somebody out there who likes to do this job in the
future then you're very welcome. The build scripts already are part of the
Octave-Forge project so that you can have a look at them but maybe they need
to be adapted to your Mac. I think that for many of you as for me Octave.app
was and still is a useful ready-to-run program, so I must say that I'd also
like to see future versions of it even if I'm not the one who builds them.

For now, I have uploaded the compressed disc images *.dmg including
Octave.app 3.2.3 for PPC and i386 MacOSX to the SourceForge's server.
The system requirements for the PPC architecture are MacOSX 10.4.x or
newer and a PPC G4 processor or better, for the i386 architecture MacOSX
10.4.x or 10.5.x. You can get it from http://octave.sourceforge.net.

We have had more than 6600 downloads for Octave.app 3.2.2 the past 2 months.
Now, if you find this program useful then please support its development. See
http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html for more information about how you can help.

If you want to update Octave.app from version 3.0.x then you also should
read the announcement for Octave.app 3.2.0 which can be found at
http://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2009-June/014739.html

The md5 check sums of the compressed disc images are:
   MD5 (octave-3.2.3-ppc.dmg) = f2028c1456be495f717e4eb70d2fb4e9
   MD5 (octave-3.2.3-i386.dmg) = d84df2fe253f586c8c801436ffc658eb

That's it from my side, enjoy,

   Thomas

Re: Octave.app 3.2.3 for Mac OS X 10.4.x and 10.5.x

vicnorton
Thanks, Tom. I don't know what I'd do without Octave.app. I have not
generally been successful at compiling Octave on a Mac.

I must add that Octave.app 3.2.3 works fine for me on Mac OSX 10.6.1.
Apparently my applications of Octave do not need compiled oct-files---
though I am very fuzzy about this.

Regards,

Vic

Vic Norton schrieb:

> Thanks, Tom. I don't know what I'd do without Octave.app. I have not
> generally been successful at compiling Octave on a Mac.
>
> I must add that Octave.app 3.2.3 works fine for me on Mac OSX 10.6.1.
> Apparently my applications of Octave do not need compiled oct-files---
> though I am very fuzzy about this.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vic

Thanks Vic, I hope we find someone who volunteers to build more Octave.app apps
for a while ;)

Yes, you are talking about an essential point. Currently Octave.app is compiled
against 10.4 and works perfectly on 10.5, too. On 10.6 it works but it doesn not
work perfectly anymore.
I don't know how long we should build future versions of Octave.app against 10.4
SDK or if we "now" or after 3.2.x just can say that newer Octave.app versions
are build for 10.6 only with pure 64bit support like the OS likes it best and no
PPC version and no 32bit Intel version anymore?! Maybe things then become more
easy (to pack the whole app) compared to as it is right now.

Everybodies comments welcome...

   Thomas

Re: Octave.app 3.2.3 for Mac OS X 10.4.x and 10.5.x

Glenn Eychaner
On Oct 7, 2009, at 9:18 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

Vic Norton schrieb:
[...]

Just FYI, there is at least one person on the list that won't be going to 10.6 any time soon, due to other application incompatibilities, and still has production machines happily running 10.4.

-G.
--
Glenn Eychaner ([hidden email])
Telescope Systems Programmer, Las Campanas Observatory

Re: Octave.app 3.2.3 for Mac OS X 10.4.x and 10.5.x

Liam Groener
I've been using octave with OS X 10.6 since it (10.6) was released. The only problem I've had was resolved using the modifications to mkoctfile suggested in:
http://www.supermegaultragroovy.com/blog/2009/09/17/installing-octave-packages-in-snow-leopard/
I guess this is a hack, but it works for me.

Re: Octave.app 3.2.3 for Mac OS X 10.4.x and 10.5.x

Sebastian Schöps

I think that the installation of Octave.app is very easy and this is a
clearly advantageous (thanks Thomas), but on the other hand, one can
always build octave from MacPorts (so do I). This is just a bit more
complicated and gives a tailored binary for your machine (even 64 bit).
Maybe one could replace Octave.app by a new installation instruction for
Macports? One could also add the application around the binary in
Macports, if necessary.

Apropos 64 bit: I think there is a drawback when using octave compiled
for the new Mac architecture, because FLTK cannot be build yet for 64 bit...

Anyway, I guess the building of Octave.app itself is not a big deal, but
the testing and i cannot help here, since I prefer the self compiled
installation.

Bye
Sebastian