Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
Google has just announced GSoC 2013:

    http://google-opensource.blogspot.ca/2013/02/flip-bits-not-burgers-google-summer-of.html

Although Octave has participated under the auspices of the GNU project
for GSoC, we will very much be trying to get in to GSoC as an
independent organisation this year, like we tried to last year. To
this end, as a community, we need to present a convincing application.

The two most important things to do this is to polish our ideas page:

    http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas

and our application, of course:

    http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_2013_application

The ideas page needs an update. A lot of progress has been made in
many of those ideas! There is also nothing wrong with new ideas. If
you need inspiration, the Projects page can help, and you can pick
something from there and shape it into a better-defined idea for
prospective students:

    http://wiki.octave.org/Projects

Let's hope Octave really makes a splash in GSoC 2013.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Google has just announced GSoC 2013:
>
>     http://google-opensource.blogspot.ca/2013/02/flip-bits-not-burgers-google-summer-of.html
>
> Although Octave has participated under the auspices of the GNU project
> for GSoC, we will very much be trying to get in to GSoC as an
> independent organisation this year, like we tried to last year. To
> this end, as a community, we need to present a convincing application.
>
> The two most important things to do this is to polish our ideas page:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas
>
> and our application, of course:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_2013_application
>
> The ideas page needs an update. A lot of progress has been made in
> many of those ideas! There is also nothing wrong with new ideas. If
> you need inspiration, the Projects page can help, and you can pick
> something from there and shape it into a better-defined idea for
> prospective students:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/Projects
>
> Let's hope Octave really makes a splash in GSoC 2013.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Thank you Jordi for the heads up.
I think we need to prioritize the Agora project...anyways I updated
the low level I/O entry

http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Low-Level_I.2FO

@Andrius: Would you have time to mentor a student? Who else can do it.
My knowledge here is really low!

Cheers

Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

Andrius Sutas

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Google has just announced GSoC 2013:
>
>     http://google-opensource.blogspot.ca/2013/02/flip-bits-not-burgers-google-summer-of.html
>
> Although Octave has participated under the auspices of the GNU project
> for GSoC, we will very much be trying to get in to GSoC as an
> independent organisation this year, like we tried to last year. To
> this end, as a community, we need to present a convincing application.
>
> The two most important things to do this is to polish our ideas page:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas
>
> and our application, of course:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_2013_application
>
> The ideas page needs an update. A lot of progress has been made in
> many of those ideas! There is also nothing wrong with new ideas. If
> you need inspiration, the Projects page can help, and you can pick
> something from there and shape it into a better-defined idea for
> prospective students:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/Projects
>
> Let's hope Octave really makes a splash in GSoC 2013.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Thank you Jordi for the heads up.
I think we need to prioritize the Agora project...anyways I updated
the low level I/O entry

http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Low-Level_I.2FO

@Andrius: Would you have time to mentor a student? Who else can do it.
My knowledge here is really low!

Cheers

Hey,

thanks for considering me! I would love to, but unfortunately I am unable to dedicate the time that is required for a good mentor due to important deadlines that I have to meet in the following months.

In case GSoC only requires active mentor participation during the summer months, then I would be happy to help.

Best Regards,
Andrius

Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

duncs

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Google has just announced GSoC 2013:
>
>     http://google-opensource.blogspot.ca/2013/02/flip-bits-not-burgers-google-summer-of.html
>
> Although Octave has participated under the auspices of the GNU project
> for GSoC, we will very much be trying to get in to GSoC as an
> independent organisation this year, like we tried to last year. To
> this end, as a community, we need to present a convincing application.
>
> The two most important things to do this is to polish our ideas page:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas
>
> and our application, of course:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_2013_application
>
> The ideas page needs an update. A lot of progress has been made in
> many of those ideas! There is also nothing wrong with new ideas. If
> you need inspiration, the Projects page can help, and you can pick
> something from there and shape it into a better-defined idea for
> prospective students:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/Projects
>
> Let's hope Octave really makes a splash in GSoC 2013.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Thank you Jordi for the heads up.
I think we need to prioritize the Agora project...anyways I updated
the low level I/O entry

http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Low-Level_I.2FO

@Andrius: Would you have time to mentor a student? Who else can do it.
My knowledge here is really low!

Cheers

Hey,

thanks for considering me! I would love to, but unfortunately I am unable to dedicate the time that is required for a good mentor due to important deadlines that I have to meet in the following months.

In case GSoC only requires active mentor participation during the summer months, then I would be happy to help.

Best Regards,
Andrius

Guys

In view of the topic, can I ask what the status us with the classdef project?  I've seen it mentioned a few times over the last year or so (eg   http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/interview-with-john-w.-eaton-of-gnu-octave), and it's listed on the project page as being 'underway', but that's all I know. Is this something that could be put into GSoC?

Atb

Duncan

Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

Michael Goffioul
On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 7:06 AM, Duncan Shepherd <[hidden email]> wrote:
Guys

In view of the topic, can I ask what the status us with the classdef project?  I've seen it mentioned a few times over the last year or so (eg   http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/interview-with-john-w.-eaton-of-gnu-octave), and it's listed on the project page as being 'underway', but that's all I know. Is this something that could be put into GSoC?

The current work on classdef is being located into the "classdef" branch on the octave repository. It contains a functional implementation, which is far from complete, but already provides basic features like: inheritance, access control, direct and (more recently) indirect method call, static methods, constant properties...

Michael.

Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Michael Goffioul
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 7:06 AM, Duncan Shepherd
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Guys
>>
>> In view of the topic, can I ask what the status us with the classdef
>> project?  I've seen it mentioned a few times over the last year or so (eg
>> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/interview-with-john-w.-eaton-of-gnu-octave),
>> and it's listed on the project page as being 'underway', but that's all I
>> know. Is this something that could be put into GSoC?
>

> The current work on classdef is being located into the "classdef" branch on
> the octave repository. It contains a functional implementation, which is far
> from complete, but already provides basic features like: inheritance, access
> control, direct and (more recently) indirect method call, static methods,
> constant properties...
>
> Michael.

Michel,

Are you able to get classdef work in Darwin systems?

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 7:06 AM, Duncan Shepherd
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Guys
>>
>> In view of the topic, can I ask what the status us with the classdef
>> project?  I've seen it mentioned a few times over the last year or so (eg
>> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/interview-with-john-w.-eaton-of-gnu-octave),
>> and it's listed on the project page as being 'underway', but that's all I
>> know. Is this something that could be put into GSoC?
>

> The current work on classdef is being located into the "classdef" branch on
> the octave repository. It contains a functional implementation, which is far
> from complete, but already provides basic features like: inheritance, access
> control, direct and (more recently) indirect method call, static methods,
> constant properties...
>
> Michael.

Michel,

Are you able to get classdef work in Darwin systems?

I didn't try, I don't have such system.

Michael.

Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

bpabbott
On Feb 13, 2013, at 7:27 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Michael Goffioul
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 7:06 AM, Duncan Shepherd
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Guys
>>>
>>> In view of the topic, can I ask what the status us with the classdef
>>> project?  I've seen it mentioned a few times over the last year or so (eg
>>> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/interview-with-john-w.-eaton-of-gnu-octave),
>>> and it's listed on the project page as being 'underway', but that's all I
>>> know. Is this something that could be put into GSoC?
>>
>> The current work on classdef is being located into the "classdef" branch on
>> the octave repository. It contains a functional implementation, which is far
>> from complete, but already provides basic features like: inheritance, access
>> control, direct and (more recently) indirect method call, static methods,
>> constant properties...
>>
>> Michael.
>
> Michel,
>
> Are you able to get classdef work in Darwin systems?

Juan,

By Darwin, do you mean the operating system that MacOS is based on?

If so, I've been experimenting with it on MacOS X.  The only problems I've found have been unimplemented or incomplete features that are on Michael's to-do list.

Ben

Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

c.-2

On 12 Feb 2013, at 00:27, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Jordi for the heads up.
> I think we need to prioritize the Agora project...

JPi,

I agree that Agora should be given high priority, especially given the recent changes in Octave-Forge,
but I think improving the package manager is a strictly connected project …

I updated the description of the project concerning package manager to includa a link to Carnë's OEP,
I'd like to also add a link to the patches you prepared during the codesprint, maybe you should post those to the patch tracker?

c.

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 5:04 PM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12 Feb 2013, at 00:27, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thank you Jordi for the heads up.
>> I think we need to prioritize the Agora project...
>
> JPi,
>
> I agree that Agora should be given high priority, especially given the recent changes in Octave-Forge,
> but I think improving the package manager is a strictly connected project …
>
> I updated the description of the project concerning package manager to includa a link to Carnë's OEP,
> I'd like to also add a link to the patches you prepared during the codesprint, maybe you should post those to the patch tracker?
>
> c.

Hi C,

Ok, I had in mind that we will do something like a "pull request" tot
he other brach when we have the new pkg working and tested. Is that
still the plan? @Carnë?

Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

Carnë Draug-2
On 13 February 2013 16:24, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 5:04 PM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 12 Feb 2013, at 00:27, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you Jordi for the heads up.
>>> I think we need to prioritize the Agora project...
>>
>> JPi,
>>
>> I agree that Agora should be given high priority, especially given the recent changes in Octave-Forge,
>> but I think improving the package manager is a strictly connected project …
>>
>> I updated the description of the project concerning package manager to includa a link to Carnë's OEP,
>> I'd like to also add a link to the patches you prepared during the codesprint, maybe you should post those to the patch tracker?
>>
>> c.
>>

> Hi C,
>
> Ok, I had in mind that we will do something like a "pull request" tot
> he other brach when we have the new pkg working and tested. Is that
> still the plan? @Carnë?

Yes, that's the plan. Once it's finished, we merge into default and
push to core.

Carnë

On 13 Feb 2013, at 17:24, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi C,
>
> Ok, I had in mind that we will do something like a "pull request" tot
> he other brach when we have the new pkg working and tested. Is that
> still the plan? @Carnë?

I'd say that is still a good plan, so rather than post the patches to the tracker
we could add a link to the HG repository with the patches on the wiki, to show the
current stage of pkg. What do you think?

c.