Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

12

Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
Google has just announced GSoC 2013:

    http://google-opensource.blogspot.ca/2013/02/flip-bits-not-burgers-google-summer-of.html

Although Octave has participated under the auspices of the GNU project
for GSoC, we will very much be trying to get in to GSoC as an
independent organisation this year, like we tried to last year. To
this end, as a community, we need to present a convincing application.

The two most important things to do this is to polish our ideas page:

    http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas

and our application, of course:

    http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_2013_application

The ideas page needs an update. A lot of progress has been made in
many of those ideas! There is also nothing wrong with new ideas. If
you need inspiration, the Projects page can help, and you can pick
something from there and shape it into a better-defined idea for
prospective students:

    http://wiki.octave.org/Projects

Let's hope Octave really makes a splash in GSoC 2013.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Google has just announced GSoC 2013:
>
>     http://google-opensource.blogspot.ca/2013/02/flip-bits-not-burgers-google-summer-of.html
>
> Although Octave has participated under the auspices of the GNU project
> for GSoC, we will very much be trying to get in to GSoC as an
> independent organisation this year, like we tried to last year. To
> this end, as a community, we need to present a convincing application.
>
> The two most important things to do this is to polish our ideas page:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas
>
> and our application, of course:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_2013_application
>
> The ideas page needs an update. A lot of progress has been made in
> many of those ideas! There is also nothing wrong with new ideas. If
> you need inspiration, the Projects page can help, and you can pick
> something from there and shape it into a better-defined idea for
> prospective students:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/Projects
>
> Let's hope Octave really makes a splash in GSoC 2013.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Thank you Jordi for the heads up.
I think we need to prioritize the Agora project...anyways I updated
the low level I/O entry

http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Low-Level_I.2FO

@Andrius: Would you have time to mentor a student? Who else can do it.
My knowledge here is really low!

Cheers

Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

Andrius Sutas

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Google has just announced GSoC 2013:
>
>     http://google-opensource.blogspot.ca/2013/02/flip-bits-not-burgers-google-summer-of.html
>
> Although Octave has participated under the auspices of the GNU project
> for GSoC, we will very much be trying to get in to GSoC as an
> independent organisation this year, like we tried to last year. To
> this end, as a community, we need to present a convincing application.
>
> The two most important things to do this is to polish our ideas page:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas
>
> and our application, of course:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_2013_application
>
> The ideas page needs an update. A lot of progress has been made in
> many of those ideas! There is also nothing wrong with new ideas. If
> you need inspiration, the Projects page can help, and you can pick
> something from there and shape it into a better-defined idea for
> prospective students:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/Projects
>
> Let's hope Octave really makes a splash in GSoC 2013.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Thank you Jordi for the heads up.
I think we need to prioritize the Agora project...anyways I updated
the low level I/O entry

http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Low-Level_I.2FO

@Andrius: Would you have time to mentor a student? Who else can do it.
My knowledge here is really low!

Cheers

Hey,

thanks for considering me! I would love to, but unfortunately I am unable to dedicate the time that is required for a good mentor due to important deadlines that I have to meet in the following months.

In case GSoC only requires active mentor participation during the summer months, then I would be happy to help.

Best Regards,
Andrius

Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

Nir Krakauer-2
Note that the GSoC activity period is later than last year:
( http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2013 )

June 17: begin coding
August 2: midterm evals due
September 23: pencils down

--Nir

Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

c.-2

On 12 Feb 2013, at 00:27, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Jordi for the heads up.
> I think we need to prioritize the Agora project...

JPi,

I agree that Agora should be given high priority, especially given the recent changes in Octave-Forge,
but I think improving the package manager is a strictly connected project …

I updated the description of the project concerning package manager to includa a link to Carnë's OEP,
I'd like to also add a link to the patches you prepared during the codesprint, maybe you should post those to the patch tracker?

c.

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 5:04 PM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12 Feb 2013, at 00:27, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thank you Jordi for the heads up.
>> I think we need to prioritize the Agora project...
>
> JPi,
>
> I agree that Agora should be given high priority, especially given the recent changes in Octave-Forge,
> but I think improving the package manager is a strictly connected project …
>
> I updated the description of the project concerning package manager to includa a link to Carnë's OEP,
> I'd like to also add a link to the patches you prepared during the codesprint, maybe you should post those to the patch tracker?
>
> c.

Hi C,

Ok, I had in mind that we will do something like a "pull request" tot
he other brach when we have the new pkg working and tested. Is that
still the plan? @Carnë?

Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

Carnë Draug-2
On 13 February 2013 16:24, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 5:04 PM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 12 Feb 2013, at 00:27, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you Jordi for the heads up.
>>> I think we need to prioritize the Agora project...
>>
>> JPi,
>>
>> I agree that Agora should be given high priority, especially given the recent changes in Octave-Forge,
>> but I think improving the package manager is a strictly connected project …
>>
>> I updated the description of the project concerning package manager to includa a link to Carnë's OEP,
>> I'd like to also add a link to the patches you prepared during the codesprint, maybe you should post those to the patch tracker?
>>
>> c.
>>

> Hi C,
>
> Ok, I had in mind that we will do something like a "pull request" tot
> he other brach when we have the new pkg working and tested. Is that
> still the plan? @Carnë?

Yes, that's the plan. Once it's finished, we merge into default and
push to core.

Carnë

On 13 Feb 2013, at 17:24, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi C,
>
> Ok, I had in mind that we will do something like a "pull request" tot
> he other brach when we have the new pkg working and tested. Is that
> still the plan? @Carnë?

I'd say that is still a good plan, so rather than post the patches to the tracker
we could add a link to the HG repository with the patches on the wiki, to show the
current stage of pkg. What do you think?

c.

Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013 / Low Level I/O

Stefan Mahr
Juan Pablo Carbajal:

> I think we need to prioritize the Agora project...anyways I updated
> the low level I/O entry
>
> http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Low-Level_I.2FO
>
> @Andrius: Would you have time to mentor a student? Who else can do it.
> My knowledge here is really low!
>
> Cheers

Hi guys,

I announced my extensions to instrument control several times here. The
work for basic vxi11, gpib, usbtmc and scpi (tcp) is mostly done.

Please be so kind to review it or grant me access to OF svn.

Actual source is hosted at
https://github.com/dac922/octave-instrument-control

Best regards,
Stefan

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Stefan Mahr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Juan Pablo Carbajal:
>> I think we need to prioritize the Agora project...anyways I updated
>> the low level I/O entry
>>
>> http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Low-Level_I.2FO
>>
>> @Andrius: Would you have time to mentor a student? Who else can do it.
>> My knowledge here is really low!
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> Hi guys,
>
> I announced my extensions to instrument control several times here. The
> work for basic vxi11, gpib, usbtmc and scpi (tcp) is mostly done.
>
> Please be so kind to review it or grant me access to OF svn.
>
> Actual source is hosted at
> https://github.com/dac922/octave-instrument-control
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan

Hi Stefan, sorry if this got lost. The mailing list is not the better
place for this kind of things, better the bug/feature tracker.

Anyways, the code looks good but I cannot test it (I will try to get
GPIB hardware this week).
@Andrius: Could you evaluate any other part of the code?

@Carnë: I think if stefan is planing to maintin this code we better
give him access to the svn.

@Stefan: Do you hvae demo/tutorials somewhere exemplifying the use of
your classes?

Cheers

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:21 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Stefan Mahr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Juan Pablo Carbajal:
>> I think we need to prioritize the Agora project...anyways I updated
>> the low level I/O entry
>>
>> http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Low-Level_I.2FO
>>
>> @Andrius: Would you have time to mentor a student? Who else can do it.
>> My knowledge here is really low!
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> Hi guys,
>
> I announced my extensions to instrument control several times here. The
> work for basic vxi11, gpib, usbtmc and scpi (tcp) is mostly done.
>
> Please be so kind to review it or grant me access to OF svn.
>
> Actual source is hosted at
> https://github.com/dac922/octave-instrument-control
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan

Hi Stefan, sorry if this got lost. The mailing list is not the better
place for this kind of things, better the bug/feature tracker.

Anyways, the code looks good but I cannot test it (I will try to get
GPIB hardware this week).
@Andrius: Could you evaluate any other part of the code?

@Carnë: I think if stefan is planing to maintin this code we better
give him access to the svn.

@Stefan: Do you hvae demo/tutorials somewhere exemplifying the use of
your classes?

Cheers

No, do not have the required hardware for this.

Also, I remember there was a big rant regards the licensing of these extensions, which resulted in OF not being able to adopt them, or am I mistaken?

Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Stefan Mahr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Juan Pablo Carbajal:
>>> I think we need to prioritize the Agora project...anyways I updated
>>> the low level I/O entry
>>>
>>> http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Low-Level_I.2FO
>>>
>>> @Andrius: Would you have time to mentor a student? Who else can do it.
>>> My knowledge here is really low!
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I announced my extensions to instrument control several times here. The
>> work for basic vxi11, gpib, usbtmc and scpi (tcp) is mostly done.
>>
>> Please be so kind to review it or grant me access to OF svn.
>>
>> Actual source is hosted at
>> https://github.com/dac922/octave-instrument-control
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Stefan
>
> Hi Stefan, sorry if this got lost. The mailing list is not the better
> place for this kind of things, better the bug/feature tracker.
>
> Anyways, the code looks good but I cannot test it (I will try to get
> GPIB hardware this week).
> @Andrius: Could you evaluate any other part of the code?
>
> @Carnë: I think if stefan is planing to maintin this code we better
> give him access to the svn.
>
> @Stefan: Do you hvae demo/tutorials somewhere exemplifying the use of
> your classes?
>
> Cheers

I already add an example for tcp at
http://wiki.octave.org/Instrument_control

For USBTMC and GPIB you need hardware.

For VXI11 it could be easy to create a simple test server, but I didn't
looked deeper to it yet.

Andrius Sutas wrote:
> Also, I remember there was a big rant regards the licensing of these
> extensions, which resulted in OF not being able to adopt them, or am
> I mistaken?

Yes, there was a really big rant. Sadly it had *nothing* to do with my
contribution. Everything is full GPL (or public domain for VXI11 rpc).

Stefan

Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013 / Low Level I/O

Carnë Draug

Done.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 13 February 2013 22:21, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> @Carnë: I think if stefan is planing to maintin this code we better
>> give him access to the svn.
>
> Done.

Thank you very much Carnë.

@Stefan: Please merge your code into the package and add yourself as a
maintainer. Let me know when you have committed your changes so we can
prepare a new release.

We are on the move!

JPi

Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

Nir Krakauer-2
Do we need to update
http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Implement_solver_for_initial-boundary_value_problems_for_parabolic-elliptic_PDEs_in_1D
to reflect recent progress with implementing pdepe? I don't know what
the current status is.

Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
> @Stefan: Please merge your code into the package and add yourself as a
> maintainer. Let me know when you have committed your changes so we can
> prepare a new release.
>
> We are on the move!

Hi JPi, hi Andrius,

merging is done. Compiling on linux and cygwin works. I did not test *bsd.

With mingw (mxe-octave) only tcp works, all other interfaces fail to
compile. Should be acceptable for now.

Stefan

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Stefan Mahr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
>> @Stefan: Please merge your code into the package and add yourself as a
>> maintainer. Let me know when you have committed your changes so we can
>> prepare a new release.
>>
>> We are on the move!
>
> Hi JPi, hi Andrius,
>
> merging is done. Compiling on linux and cygwin works. I did not test *bsd.
>
> With mingw (mxe-octave) only tcp works, all other interfaces fail to
> compile. Should be acceptable for now.
>

> Stefan

Hi,

I noticed that the package needs to be boostraped before it can be
distributed. This breaks the current version of releasePKG.
@Carnë: What would be the procedure with packages like this?
I am planning to fix releasePKG by checking if there is an src folder
and if there is then check for bootstrap or autogen.sh and run it
before packaging.

Suggestions?

On 28 February 2013 12:18, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Stefan Mahr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
>>> @Stefan: Please merge your code into the package and add yourself as a
>>> maintainer. Let me know when you have committed your changes so we can
>>> prepare a new release.
>>>
>>> We are on the move!
>>
>> Hi JPi, hi Andrius,
>>
>> merging is done. Compiling on linux and cygwin works. I did not test *bsd.
>>
>> With mingw (mxe-octave) only tcp works, all other interfaces fail to
>> compile. Should be acceptable for now.
>>

>> Stefan
>
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that the package needs to be boostraped before it can be
> distributed. This breaks the current version of releasePKG.
> @Carnë: What would be the procedure with packages like this?

The procedure to release package like this is that the package manager
runs ./bootstrap first, and then create a tarball of the result. Also,
remove the "autom4te.cache" directory that may have been generated.
Whether to also remove the bootstrap and configure.ac/in files from
the tarball, is up to the package manager (probably we should settle
on something?).

Carnë

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28 February 2013 12:18, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Hi JPi, hi Andrius,
>>>
>>> merging is done. Compiling on linux and cygwin works. I did not test *bsd.
>>>
>>> With mingw (mxe-octave) only tcp works, all other interfaces fail to
>>> compile. Should be acceptable for now.
>>>

>>> Stefan
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that the package needs to be boostraped before it can be
>> distributed. This breaks the current version of releasePKG.
>> @Carnë: What would be the procedure with packages like this?
>
> The procedure to release package like this is that the package manager
> runs ./bootstrap first, and then create a tarball of the result. Also,
> remove the "autom4te.cache" directory that may have been generated.
> Whether to also remove the bootstrap and configure.ac/in files from
> the tarball, is up to the package manager (probably we should settle
> on something?).
>
> Carnë

ok, I am modifying releasePKG to run bootstrap and remove the
"autom4te.cache" directory. The other files may help to debug user
problems

Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013 / Low Level I/O

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I noticed that the package needs to be boostraped before it can be
>>> distributed. This breaks the current version of releasePKG.
>>> @Carnë: What would be the procedure with packages like this?
>>
>> The procedure to release package like this is that the package manager
>> runs ./bootstrap first, and then create a tarball of the result. Also,
>> remove the "autom4te.cache" directory that may have been generated.
>> Whether to also remove the bootstrap and configure.ac/in files from
>> the tarball, is up to the package manager (probably we should settle
>> on something?).
>>
>> Carnë
>
> ok, I am modifying releasePKG to run bootstrap and remove the
> "autom4te.cache" directory. The other files may help to debug user
> problems

I am getting
warning: marking 'gpib' as not implemented
warning: marking 'gpib_read' as not implemented
warning: marking 'gpib_write' as not implemented
warning: marking 'gpib_timeout' as not implemented
warning: marking 'gpib_close' as not implemented

Is gpib properly documented?
12