Octave is really slow and “not responding”

Octave is really slow and “not responding”

Max Schulz
Hello Everybody,

I installed Octave 5.2.0_1 64 bit on Windows 10 via the installer. The
Octave GUI starts really slow (>20s). When I try moving the window or
creating a new file, Octave freezes for several minutes and sometimes shows
the message "The application is not responding" .
 things I tried:

Looking at CPU and RAM usage, found no problem there
restarting the PC
reinstalling Octave, also deleting the folder "octave" in
C:\CurrentUser.config\ before reinstalling
downloading zip and starting from octave.vbs (same problem)
Octave also doesn't find JRE, so I tried this:
stackoverflow.com:Octave-cant-find-jre-while-i-have-installed-jre
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58815879/octave-cant-find-jre-while-i-have-installed-jre>
, but I can't  find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime
Environment\"
I already had Octave 5.1.0 installed on this PC some time ago and it worked
fine. I thought maybe there are old files, which cause conflicts. I searched
for old Octave files, but I found none.
 Hopefully, I posted this at the right place, if not please correct me.
Thanks for your time and help.

Best,
Max

Re: Octave is really slow and “not responding”

siko1056
On 4/30/20 10:18 PM, Max Schulz wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
>
> I installed Octave 5.2.0_1 64 bit on Windows 10 via the installer. The
> Octave GUI starts really slow (>20s). When I try moving the window or
> creating a new file, Octave freezes for several minutes and sometimes shows
> the message "The application is not responding" .
>  things I tried:
>

> Looking at CPU and RAM usage, found no problem there
> restarting the PC
> reinstalling Octave, also deleting the folder "octave" in
> C:\CurrentUser.config\ before reinstalling
> downloading zip and starting from octave.vbs (same problem)
> Octave also doesn't find JRE, so I tried this:
> stackoverflow.com:Octave-cant-find-jre-while-i-have-installed-jre
> <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58815879/octave-cant-find-jre-while-i-have-installed-jre>
> , but I can't  find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime
> Environment\"
> I already had Octave 5.1.0 installed on this PC some time ago and it worked
> fine. I thought maybe there are old files, which cause conflicts. I searched
> for old Octave files, but I found none.
>  Hopefully, I posted this at the right place, if not please correct me.
> Thanks for your time and help.
>
> Best,
> Max

Dear Max,

Thank you for your report.  Is there anything special about your MS
Windows 10 system?  E.g. installed on a network-drive, special
permission management (work PC), extra malware "anti-virus" software?
Do you face the same problems on another PC of yours, too?

Best,
Kai

Re: Octave is really slow and “not responding”

Max Schulz
Dear Kai,

thanks for your answer,

I don't think there is anything special about my OS. I use Sophos
Antivirus, but no special persmissions, etc. Unfortunately, I don't own
a second PC.

I'm sorry for the bad formatting of my first message.

Best,

Max

On 5/1/20 3:58 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Am 30.04.2020 um 17:10 schrieb Kai Torben Ohlhus:
>> On 4/30/20 10:18 PM, Max Schulz wrote:
>>> Hello Everybody,
>>>
>>> I installed Octave 5.2.0_1 64 bit on Windows 10 via the installer. The
>>> Octave GUI starts really slow (>20s). When I try moving the window or
>>> creating a new file, Octave freezes for several minutes and
sometimes shows

>>> the message "The application is not responding" .
>>>  things I tried:
>>>

>>> Looking at CPU and RAM usage, found no problem there
>>> restarting the PC
>>> reinstalling Octave, also deleting the folder "octave" in
>>> C:\CurrentUser.config\ before reinstalling
>>> downloading zip and starting from octave.vbs (same problem)
>>> Octave also doesn't find JRE, so I tried this:
>>> stackoverflow.com:Octave-cant-find-jre-while-i-have-installed-jre

<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58815879/octave-cant-find-jre-while-i-have-installed-jre>

>>> , but I can't  find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime
>>> Environment\"
>>> I already had Octave 5.1.0 installed on this PC some time ago and it
worked
>>> fine. I thought maybe there are old files, which cause conflicts. I
searched

>>> for old Octave files, but I found none.
>>>  Hopefully, I posted this at the right place, if not please correct me.
>>> Thanks for your time and help.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Max
>>>

>> Dear Max,
>>
>> Thank you for your report.  Is there anything special about your MS
>> Windows 10 system?  E.g. installed on a network-drive, special
>> permission management (work PC), extra malware "anti-virus" software?
>> Do you face the same problems on another PC of yours, too?
>>
>> Best,
>> Kai
>
> Dear Kai,
>
> thanks for your answer,
>
> I don't think there is anything special about my OS. I use Sophos
> Antivirus, but no special persmissions, etc. Unfortunately, I don't own
> a second PC.
>
> I'm sorry for the bad formatting of my first message.
>
> Best,
>
> Max

Can you just try to temporarily disable Sophos (any other running
software) and see if it has an impact on the start time of Octave?

HTH,
Kai

Re: Octave is really slow and “not responding”

dev1990
Dear Max, did you try deleting your temp files ?? Use Windows+R then %TEMP% for accessing the folder.

Thanks
Deba

On Fri, May 1, 2020, 12:41 PM Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5/1/20 3:58 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Am 30.04.2020 um 17:10 schrieb Kai Torben Ohlhus:
>> On 4/30/20 10:18 PM, Max Schulz wrote:
>>> Hello Everybody,
>>>
>>> I installed Octave 5.2.0_1 64 bit on Windows 10 via the installer. The
>>> Octave GUI starts really slow (>20s). When I try moving the window or
>>> creating a new file, Octave freezes for several minutes and
sometimes shows
>>> the message "The application is not responding" .
>>>  things I tried:
>>>

>>> Looking at CPU and RAM usage, found no problem there
>>> restarting the PC
>>> reinstalling Octave, also deleting the folder "octave" in
>>> C:\CurrentUser.config\ before reinstalling
>>> downloading zip and starting from octave.vbs (same problem)
>>> Octave also doesn't find JRE, so I tried this:
>>> stackoverflow.com:Octave-cant-find-jre-while-i-have-installed-jre

<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58815879/octave-cant-find-jre-while-i-have-installed-jre>

>>> , but I can't  find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime
>>> Environment\"
>>> I already had Octave 5.1.0 installed on this PC some time ago and it
worked
>>> fine. I thought maybe there are old files, which cause conflicts. I
searched
>>> for old Octave files, but I found none.
>>>  Hopefully, I posted this at the right place, if not please correct me.
>>> Thanks for your time and help.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Max
>>>

>> Dear Max,
>>
>> Thank you for your report.  Is there anything special about your MS
>> Windows 10 system?  E.g. installed on a network-drive, special
>> permission management (work PC), extra malware "anti-virus" software?
>> Do you face the same problems on another PC of yours, too?
>>
>> Best,
>> Kai
>
> Dear Kai,
>
> thanks for your answer,
>
> I don't think there is anything special about my OS. I use Sophos
> Antivirus, but no special persmissions, etc. Unfortunately, I don't own
> a second PC.
>
> I'm sorry for the bad formatting of my first message.
>
> Best,
>
> Max

Can you just try to temporarily disable Sophos (any other running
software) and see if it has an impact on the start time of Octave?

HTH,
Kai

Re: Octave is really slow and “not responding”

Max Schulz

Dear Deba and Kai,

thank you for your suggestions. Deativating Sophpos did actually speed up Octave marginally. Deleting the temp files was not succssful.

Octave only uses 1% of my CPU and 55 MB of RAM (comparable to the file explorer). Is that "normal"?

Thanks

Max

Am 01.05.2020 um 21:05 schrieb Debajyoti Datta:
Dear Max, did you try deleting your temp files ?? Use Windows+R then %TEMP% for accessing the folder.

Thanks
Deba

On Fri, May 1, 2020, 12:41 PM Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5/1/20 3:58 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Am 30.04.2020 um 17:10 schrieb Kai Torben Ohlhus:
>> On 4/30/20 10:18 PM, Max Schulz wrote:
>>> Hello Everybody,
>>>
>>> I installed Octave 5.2.0_1 64 bit on Windows 10 via the installer. The
>>> Octave GUI starts really slow (>20s). When I try moving the window or
>>> creating a new file, Octave freezes for several minutes and
sometimes shows
>>> the message "The application is not responding" .
>>>  things I tried:
>>>

>>> Looking at CPU and RAM usage, found no problem there
>>> restarting the PC
>>> reinstalling Octave, also deleting the folder "octave" in
>>> C:\CurrentUser.config\ before reinstalling
>>> downloading zip and starting from octave.vbs (same problem)
>>> Octave also doesn't find JRE, so I tried this:
>>> stackoverflow.com:Octave-cant-find-jre-while-i-have-installed-jre

<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58815879/octave-cant-find-jre-while-i-have-installed-jre>

>>> , but I can't  find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime
>>> Environment\"
>>> I already had Octave 5.1.0 installed on this PC some time ago and it
worked
>>> fine. I thought maybe there are old files, which cause conflicts. I
searched
>>> for old Octave files, but I found none.
>>>  Hopefully, I posted this at the right place, if not please correct me.
>>> Thanks for your time and help.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Max
>>>

>> Dear Max,
>>
>> Thank you for your report.  Is there anything special about your MS
>> Windows 10 system?  E.g. installed on a network-drive, special
>> permission management (work PC), extra malware "anti-virus" software?
>> Do you face the same problems on another PC of yours, too?
>>
>> Best,
>> Kai
>
> Dear Kai,
>
> thanks for your answer,
>
> I don't think there is anything special about my OS. I use Sophos
> Antivirus, but no special persmissions, etc. Unfortunately, I don't own
> a second PC.
>
> I'm sorry for the bad formatting of my first message.
>
> Best,
>
> Max

Can you just try to temporarily disable Sophos (any other running
software) and see if it has an impact on the start time of Octave?

HTH,
Kai

Re: Octave is really slow and “not responding”

John Frain
What happens if you run the non-gui version of Octave?  I have encountered slow programs on several occasions due to a variety of problems unrelated to the programs. Possible problems might include
  1. Problems with Windows update. Perhaps an update that is repeatedly trying to install and failing.
  2. Problems syncing with a cloud provider.  The program itself or another program may have a problem accessing some cloud service
  3. Various services running at startup may have encountered a problem. You can disable some of these that you do not want. You can also check start-up apps using START:Settings:apps:startup.
  4. Have you checked the event viewer?  This may reveal some error that you may be able to research on the web or report here

John C Frain, Ph.D.

Economics Department             3 Aranleigh Park
Trinity College Dublin                 Rathfarnham
College Green                           Dublin 14
Dublin 2                                    Ireland
Ireland

On Fri, 1 May 2020 at 20:51, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> permission management (work PC), extra malware "anti-virus" software?
>> Do you face the same problems on another PC of yours, too?
>>
>> Best,
>> Kai
>
> Dear Kai,
>
> thanks for your answer,
>
> I don't think there is anything special about my OS. I use Sophos
> Antivirus, but no special persmissions, etc. Unfortunately, I don't own
> a second PC.
>
> I'm sorry for the bad formatting of my first message.
>
> Best,
>
> Max

Can you just try to temporarily disable Sophos (any other running
software) and see if it has an impact on the start time of Octave?

HTH,
Kai

Re: Octave is really slow and “not responding”

Ian McCallion
On Friday, 1 May 2020, John Frain <[hidden email]> wrote:
What happens if you run the non-gui version of Octave?  I have encountered slow programs on several occasions due to a variety of problems unrelated to the programs. Possible problems might include
  1. Problems with Windows update. Perhaps an update that is repeatedly trying to install and failing.
  2. Problems syncing with a cloud provider.  The program itself or another program may have a problem accessing some cloud service
  3. Various services running at startup may have encountered a problem. You can disable some of these that you do not want. You can also check start-up apps using START:Settings:apps:startup.
  4. Have you checked the event viewer?  This may reveal some error that you may be able to research on the web or report here
5. Your hard disk is starting to fail. From my experience this can show up as an application
    responding very slowly, because the system will retry reads from the affected area of the
    disk many times before giving up. Try doing a
       chkdsk /R
   on the (non-SSD!) drive where octave is installed. If this fixes the problem it will only be a
    temporary solution - replace the disk ASAP!

Cheers... Ian

Re: Octave is really slow and “not responding”

nrjank
On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 5:51 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Deba and Kai,

thank you for your suggestions. Deativating Sophpos did actually speed up Octave marginally.

Please remember to bottom post on this mailing list.

I know on my windows installation I (intermittently, randomly) have to wait 10-30 seconds for the GUI to open. I also sometimes have long delays after a CD to a folder with a large number of files, I think waiting for the file browser window to update. Sometimes while it's hanging I jump into the task manager and the "Analyze Wait Chain' function usually says it's waiting on network activity. It's a managed windows system so I don't have freedom to disable the background utilities, and I always assume I'm waiting on part of the security suite to check in with home.  You can always check that and see if some process or service pops up in the wait chain. Event Viewer or Resource monitor are also behind admin blocks, so I can't peek at those, but they could give hints as to what's happening.

Did you mention that this is new with v5.2.0? Have you tried reinstalling an old version to see if the problem persists?

Re: Octave is really slow and “not responding”

A Wellmann
Am 02.05.2020 um 18:51 schrieb Nicholas Jankowski:
[...]

Thanks for all your suggestions,

I also analysed the wait chain, Octave is shown as inactive an also waiting on some network activity (network i/o). A quick search suggested updating the network driver. Updating the network drivers with automatic search for drivers did not help. I'll try updating the network drivers manually, etc. So I guess it's a problem with Windows and not Octave.

If you are interested, these are the results of trying the other suggestions:

1: Trying Octave CLI: it runs perfectly smooth

2: Windows Updates says all updates are installed

3: temporarily deactivated all apps from automatic start up, not helping

4: check hard disk: everything is fine

5: event manager: only one error (spellchecker)

6: try old version: didn't help

7: there is no active cloud connection

I guess I'll work with Octave CLI for now. If I find a solution to the problems with Windows, I'll let you know.

Best,

Max

PS: I learned a lot about possible ways to analyse problems of my Windows sytem, thanks!

Re: Octave is really slow and “not responding”

nrjank

If you are interested, these are the results of trying the other suggestions:

1: Trying Octave CLI: it runs perfectly smooth

2: Windows Updates says all updates are installed

3: temporarily deactivated all apps from automatic start up, not helping

4: check hard disk: everything is fine

5: event manager: only one error (spellchecker)

6: try old version: didn't help

7: there is no active cloud connection

8: booting into windows safe mode?

RE: Re: Octave is really slow and “not responding”

John Donoghue-3
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 19:17:22 +0200
> From: A Wellmann <[hidden email]>
> To: Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
> Cc: Debajyoti Datta <[hidden email]>, Kai Torben
> Ohlhus <[hidden email]>, Help GNU Octave <help-
> [hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Octave is really slow and “not responding”
>
> Am 02.05.2020 um 18:51 schrieb Nicholas Jankowski:
> > On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 5:51 AM <[hidden email]
> > <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> >     Dear Deba and Kai,
> >

> >     thank you for your suggestions. Deativating Sophpos did actually
> >     speed up Octave marginally.
> >

> > Please remember to bottom post on this mailing list.
> >
> > I know on my windows installation I (intermittently, randomly) have to
> > wait 10-30 seconds for the GUI to open. I also sometimes have long
> > delays after a CD to a folder with a large number of files, I think
> > waiting for the file browser window to update. Sometimes while it's
> > hanging I jump into the task manager and the "Analyze Wait Chain'
> > function usually says it's waiting on network activity. It's a managed
> > windows system so I don't have freedom to disable the background
> > utilities, and I always assume I'm waiting on part of the security
> > suite to check in with home.  You can always check that and see if
> > some process or service pops up in the wait chain. Event Viewer or
> > Resource monitor are also behind admin blocks, so I can't peek at
> > those, but they could give hints as to what's happening.
> >
> > Did you mention that this is new with v5.2.0? Have you tried
> > reinstalling an old version to see if the problem persists?
>

> Thanks for all your suggestions,
>
> I also analysed the wait chain, Octave is shown as inactive an also
> waiting on some network activity (network i/o). A quick search suggested
> updating the network driver. Updating the network drivers with automatic
> search for drivers did not help. I'll try updating the network drivers
> manually, etc. So I guess it's a problem with Windows and not Octave.
>

> If you are interested, these are the results of trying the other
> suggestions:
>
> 1: Trying Octave CLI: it runs perfectly smooth
>
> 2: Windows Updates says all updates are installed
>
> 3: temporarily deactivated all apps from automatic start up, not helping
>
> 4: check hard disk: everything is fine
>
> 5: event manager: only one error (spellchecker)
>
> 6: try old version: didn't help
>
> 7: there is no active cloud connection
>

> I guess I'll work with Octave CLI for now. If I find a solution to the
> problems with Windows, I'll let you know.
>

> Best,
>
> Max
>

> PS: I learned a lot about possible ways to analyse problems of my
> Windows sytem, thanks!

Try disabling or verify it is disabled for the network stuff in the Octave GUI:

Edit - Preferences - Network: Allow Octave to connect to the Octave webite

Re: Re: Octave is really slow and “not responding”

nrjank
Try disabling or verify it is disabled for the network stuff in the Octave GUI:

Edit - Preferences - Network: Allow Octave to connect to the Octave website

note that on my system I get the 'waiting for network' status, and I have always had this option disabled. So unless it's not obeying the option, I always suspected it's the security system making network checks and it just displays octave as waiting due to the not-overly-accurate/thorough/helpful nature of windows status tools.

Re: Octave is really slow and “not responding”

Max Schulz

Hi,

the problem fixed itself magically for me, too. There was a Windows update a few days ago. Maybe that is the reason.