Octave minimal virtual image for development

Octave minimal virtual image for development

nrjank
seeing the difficulties the potential GSOD student has mentioned, plus other conversations about difficulties on Mac, Windows, etc., a virtualbox or equivalent image has been suggested several times.

What would a minimal virtual box image prepared to clone/setup an Octave development environment look like? would it be of a reasonable size to include on the download server alongside the binary installers?  I know a fully setup virtual image can be big, and there are limits to reasonable server storage space.  But what about something with the just OS set up and a set of scripts to set up the cloned source and whatever build dependencies are needed? Maybe some of those dependencies could be preinstalled in the image if they aren't too hefty?

Or at that point would it be more trouble than it's worth?  But maybe that's too much handholding? Easier to just make a wiki instruction set for 'download vb' 'setup linux vm' 'follow linux build instructions', especially if you're targeting a potential developer? (I guess such a VM would be useful for those trying to run the latest & greatest version of Octave too.)

Re: Octave minimal virtual image for development

Mike Miller-4
On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 14:36:29 -0400, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> seeing the difficulties the potential GSOD student has mentioned, plus
> other conversations about difficulties on Mac, Windows, etc., a virtualbox
> or equivalent image has been suggested several times.

I maintain something like that for docker. Anyone interested can pull
and use

    docker run registry.gitlab.com/mtmiller/docker-octave-dev

to get a development environment that is ready to pull and build Octave
from source.

> What would a minimal virtual box image prepared to clone/setup an Octave
> development environment look like? would it be of a reasonable size to
> include on the download server alongside the binary installers?  I know a
> fully setup virtual image can be big, and there are limits to reasonable
> server storage space.  But what about something with the just OS set up and
> a set of scripts to set up the cloned source and whatever build
> dependencies are needed? Maybe some of those dependencies could be
> preinstalled in the image if they aren't too hefty?

I would be interested in learning how to build and maintain a vagrant VM
image (box) for Octave development, if that would be useful to some in
addition to the docker image. It would probably be a couple GB, hosted
on the vagrant cloud.

I don't need it now, but someday I may have interest in building and
maintaining an AWS AMI for the same purpose, so ping me if that
interests anyone as well. LXD image? Other formats / integrations?

> Or at that point would it be more trouble than it's worth?  But maybe
> that's too much handholding? Easier to just make a wiki instruction set for
> 'download vb' 'setup linux vm' 'follow linux build instructions',
> especially if you're targeting a potential developer? (I guess such a VM
> would be useful for those trying to run the latest & greatest version of
> Octave too.)

For me it's not entirely about handholding, it's about simple reusable
building blocks that serve many uses. For example, I maintain docker
images for Octave because I use them for CI/CD on my Octave packages and
test scripts. But I know there are other uses, and if other users find
them useful to quickly spin up a development environment, run a program
with the latest version, or some other purpose I haven't thought of yet,
that's great too.