Octave multi threading.

Ilaya Bharathi
Hi team,

I'm looking for an Octave release which will utilize multiple cores of processors at a same time during heavy operations rather than a single core.

If there is any release of octave or any add on libraries that fulfill my expectation, Please let me know. Waiting for your reply.

Many thanks
Ilaya bharathi

Re: Octave multi threading.

siko1056
On 6/18/20 10:44 PM, Ilaya Bharathi wrote:

> Hi team,
>
> I'm looking for an Octave release which will utilize multiple cores of
> processors at a same time during heavy operations rather than a single
> core.
>
> If there is any release of octave or any add on libraries that fulfill
> my expectation, Please let me know. Waiting for your reply.
>
> Many thanks
> Ilaya bharathi

What kind of heavy operations do you perform?  For example if you solve
large linear systems, x = A \ b;, you should make sure that you use a
(Open-)BLAS version that supports multiple threads with your Octave
installation.

If you run custom Octave code (m-files), you might be able to
parallelize tasks by using the Octave Forge (OF) parallel [1] or ocs [2]
package.

Additionally, it is helpful to know some details about your system to
give more precise advice.

Personally, I run a custom Singularity Octave image [3] on a cluster of
a few machines (each system has 28 cores [56 threads]) that really makes
use of all given resources for linear-algebra operations.  It can be
combined with the aforementioned OF packages at low installation effort.

HTH,
Kai

[1] https://octave.sourceforge.io/parallel/
[2] https://octave.sourceforge.io/ocl/
[3] https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_GNU/Linux#Singularity

Re: Octave multi threading.

Nicklas Karlsson
> Hi team,
>
> I'm looking for an Octave release which will utilize multiple cores of
> processors at a same time during heavy operations rather than a single
> core.
>
> If there is any release of octave or any add on libraries that fulfill my
> expectation, Please let me know. Waiting for your reply.

Here is something about using the GPU:
  https://devblogs.nvidia.com/drop-in-acceleration-gnu-octave/
  http://developer.download.nvidia.com/GTC/PDF/GTC2012/Posters/P0213_CudaBasedGPU_Jaideep_Singh.pdf

Are not sure but think GPU may do quite many instructions in parallel. Some years ago I made a little bit of 3D programming and remember Matrix operations where used to rotate and move things so I would guess GPU might be rather fast at matrix operations but are not sure. Also know GPU may be used for solving partial differential equations there solving a equation system usually often is time consuming due to size of equation system.

Nicklas SB Karlsson