Octave often crashes unexpectedly

Maximilian Bryan
Hi,

I am running octave 3.8.2 on Debian Wheezy x64. I have a long running
script, which contains a for loop in which I am doing some calculations,
calculate an error and then start over. Often my script runs for one or
two hours and then crashes (it saves the current progress to a file
called octave-workspace).
It is hard to reproduce that error, since my script mostly is in that
loop and at some point crashes in that loop. What can I do to find out
what the problem is?

Thanks

Re: Octave often crashes unexpectedly

vinukn
Currently octave core works well. default graphics toolkit fltk makes some problems in some system. Are you making any plots? If yes change graphics toolkit to gnuplot. Try again. Send more info about this problem, like screenshots, octave output text,etc

Re: Octave often crashes unexpectedly

vinukn
Currently octave core works well. default graphics toolkit fltk makes some problems in some system. Are you making any plots? If yes change graphics toolkit to gnuplot. Try again. Send more info about this problem, like screenshots, octave output text,etc

Re: Octave often crashes unexpectedly

Olaf Till-2
On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 11:02:35AM +0100, Maximilian Bryan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running octave 3.8.2 on Debian Wheezy x64. I have a long
> running script, which contains a for loop in which I am doing some
> calculations, calculate an error and then start over. Often my
> script runs for one or two hours and then crashes (it saves the
> current progress to a file called octave-workspace).
> It is hard to reproduce that error, since my script mostly is in
> that loop and at some point crashes in that loop. What can I do to
> find out what the problem is?
First thing of course is loading octave-workspace and inspecting the
variables. Among them should be the current value of the counter
variable of your loop. Use this and the other loaded variables to
repeat the commands in the loop for this counter value. This could
trigger the crash if a single command unconditionally causes it.

If not, you can run Octave in a debugger or similar thing and obtain a
backtrace at crash time, which might give a clue to someone.

If the code in the loop is only a few lines long, you could post it
and maybe someone finds that something looks suspicious.

Olaf

Re: Octave often crashes unexpectedly

Andreas Weber-2
On 11.12.2014 11:02, Maximilian Bryan wrote:
> I am running octave 3.8.2 on Debian Wheezy x64. I have a long running
> script, which contains a for loop in which I am doing some calculations,
> calculate an error and then start over. Often my script runs for one or
> two hours and then crashes (it saves the current progress to a file
> called octave-workspace).
> It is hard to reproduce that error, since my script mostly is in that
> loop and at some point crashes in that loop. What can I do to find out
> what the problem is?

From your stackoverflow question
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27419020/octave-unexpectedly-crashes
I read that you have used Octave 3.6.2-5 from the wheezy repo before and
then switched to 3.8.2 from backports in the hope this would have been
fixed, is this right?

You can install Octave with debugging symbols from backports
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy-backports/octave-dbg
and run octave from within gdb.

Try also Olaf's suggestions (load octave-workspace, have a look at the
loop counter and other vars to reproduce the problem)

Have you checked for some trivial problems like out-of-memory?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Andreas Weber
Fakultät Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik

Hochschule Offenburg - University of Applied Sciences Offenburg
Badstraße 24
77652 Offenburg
Telefon +49 781 205-386