Octave on IRIX64 - Origin 2000 8 way

Brett L. Trotter
I have an Origin 2000 8x250mhz box and an Origin 200 2x270mhz. I'd like to
know what i really need to do to take advantage of those machines either
individually or as a group.

I saw some links regarding parallelized Octave, but those seem to be MPI
based. While the Origin series machines can use MPI, it seems a little
wasteful considering the distributed shared memory model.

So what package(s) and/or compile options do I need to really get Octave up to
its full potential?

And a second question, are there some good octave benchmarks around so that I
could demonstrate the speed of the 8 way SGI box versus a 2 way Sun box?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

--
Brett Trotter
Engineering Computer Support Services

Re: Octave on IRIX64 - Origin 2000 8 way

Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Brett L. Trotter wrote:

> I have an Origin 2000 8x250mhz box and an Origin 200 2x270mhz. I'd like to
> know what i really need to do to take advantage of those machines either
> individually or as a group.
>
> I saw some links regarding parallelized Octave, but those seem to be MPI
> based. While the Origin series machines can use MPI, it seems a little
> wasteful considering the distributed shared memory model.
>
> So what package(s) and/or compile options do I need to really get Octave up to
> its full potential?
>
> And a second question, are there some good octave benchmarks around so that I
> could demonstrate the speed of the 8 way SGI box versus a 2 way Sun box?
>
> Thanks in advance for any replies!

I believe that SGI has a optimized BLAS/LAPACK libraries which can take
advantage of multiple CPUs. If you can compile Octave with those libraries,
you should get an advantage in most matrix algebra applications.

Sincerely,

Dmitri.