Octave on Public Cloud

sshah
I have not found much on Octave Wiki about building, installing and using
Octave on public clouds like Amazon AWS.  Is there interest in adding such
information?

Cases of potential interest are:
1)  Allowing occasional users  remote access to working examples / sessions
in octave.
2) Use of large servers, e.g. 36 core Xeons on AWS EC2 for fast computing
using Spot instances, speeding up long computations by running octave in
parallel.
3) Use of browser based interfaces such as Jupyter notebook and octave
kernel. Because of network latency, interactive editing sessions in octave
become a challenge.  REST compliant protocol is better suited.

While many linux distributions have old versions octave in their repos, the
latest released versions of Octave are not available.

Re: Octave on Public Cloud

siko1056
On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 5:55 PM sshah <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have not found much on Octave Wiki about building, installing and using
Octave on public clouds like Amazon AWS.  Is there interest in adding such
information?

If I get you right, you have such information and ask for interest to share your knowledge in the wiki?  Then yes, feel free to create a wiki account (in case you don't already have one) and new pages about each topic, whatever you have to share.  So many buzzwords, I am always interested about make more of Octave ;-)

Cases of potential interest are:
1)  Allowing occasional users  remote access to working examples / sessions
in octave.

This item, neglecting performance, is covered by several easy to google online services like:

While many linux distributions have old versions octave in their repos, the
latest released versions of Octave are not available.

Does your distribution support flatpack https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.octave.Octave ? If you are not using ancient distributions it usually should have support for flatpack.

Anyways, the Amazon AWS/cloud and high-performance topic would be very interesting.

Best,
Kai

Re: Octave on Public Cloud

Mike Miller-4
On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 11:54:43 -0500, sshah wrote:
> I have not found much on Octave Wiki about building, installing and using
> Octave on public clouds like Amazon AWS.  Is there interest in adding such
> information?

I agree with Kai, if you have information to share, yes please add it to
the wiki.

> While many linux distributions have old versions octave in their repos, the
> latest released versions of Octave are not available.

Sure, this is the way distributions work.

For users who want to eschew their distribution repositories, there are
several options nowadays:

  * flatpak install flathub org.octave.Octave
  * brew install octave
  * docker pull mtmiller/octave

and likely more to come.

Re: Octave on Public Cloud

apjanke-floss

On 3/21/19 6:03 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 11:54:43 -0500, sshah wrote:
>
> For users who want to eschew their distribution repositories, there are
> several options nowadays:
>
>    * flatpak install flathub org.octave.Octave
>    * brew install octave
>    * docker pull mtmiller/octave
>
> and likely more to come.

*Shameless plug:* Don't forget Octave.app! http://octave-app.org/

We provide both a drag-and-drop DMG installer and alternative Homebrew
formulae for installing version-specific or patched builds of Octave on
macOS.

Download from http://octave-app.org/Download.html or in Homebrew:

brew tap octave-app/octave-app
brew install octave-octave-app@4.4.1
brew install octave-stable
brew install octave-default

Cheers,
Andrew

Re: Octave on Public Cloud

sshah
Sounds good. I will start a page for the topics related to use of Octave on
public clouds.  My own experience, is with AWS EC2 and Ubuntu 16.04 and
18.04  LTS using Mac OS clients to connect to EC2 instances.  Others can
share their experiences.  My bias is towards using latest released stable
versions (e.g. octave 5.1.x).  I have used Mike Miller's ppa for older
versions on ubuntu.

I will check out other suggestions (brew, flatpak and docker pull).