Octave on Yosemite

bpabbott
Administrator
Carlo,

I'm struggling to build Octave since switching to Yosemite.  I tried the macport Octave-3.8.2, but it cashes crashes when exiting octave.

libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type octave_interrupt_exception
panic: Abort trap: 6 -- stopping myself...

Does the happen for you as well?

Any chance you have a build script that works on Yosemite?

Ben

Re: Octave on Yosemite

Carlo de Falco-2

On 9 Nov 2014, at 23:43, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Carlo,
>
> I'm struggling to build Octave since switching to Yosemite.  I tried the macport Octave-3.8.2, but it cashes crashes when exiting octave.
>
> libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type octave_interrupt_exception
> panic: Abort trap: 6 -- stopping myself...
>
> Does the happen for you as well?
>
> Any chance you have a build script that works on Yosemite?
>
> Ben

Ben,

Sorry I haven't upgraded to Yosemite yet, so I do not have direct experience with this issue.
From experience with the previous upgrade from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, I would recommend
reinstalling all macports packages after the upgrade, as I recall that having some leftovers
from the previos version created some problems for me.
I am not sure this is really relevant here though.

c.

Re: Octave on Yosemite

Eugenio Gianniti

On 10 Nov 2014, at 10:10, Carlo De Falco <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 9 Nov 2014, at 23:43, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

Carlo,

I'm struggling to build Octave since switching to Yosemite.  I tried the macport Octave-3.8.2, but it cashes crashes when exiting octave.

libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type octave_interrupt_exception
panic: Abort trap: 6 -- stopping myself...

Does the happen for you as well?

Any chance you have a build script that works on Yosemite?

Ben

Ben,

Sorry I haven't upgraded to Yosemite yet, so I do not have direct experience with this issue.
From experience with the previous upgrade from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, I would recommend
reinstalling all macports packages after the upgrade, as I recall that having some leftovers
from the previos version created some problems for me.
I am not sure this is really relevant here though.

c.

I have upgraded to Yosemite, and I use Homebrew for dependencies. At first I tried to reinstall all of them, remembering the upgrade to Mavericks, but  still couldn’t build. Then I applied the patch proposed in [1] and succeeded, without changing build script. An important glitch is that the Octave I built from source refuses to launch the GUI, but probably this is a problem of mine.

Eugenio

Re: Octave on Yosemite

Marius Schamschula-5

On Nov 10, 2014, at 3:32 AM, Eugenio Gianniti <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 10 Nov 2014, at 10:10, Carlo De Falco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 9 Nov 2014, at 23:43, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Carlo,
>>>
>>> I'm struggling to build Octave since switching to Yosemite.  I tried the macport Octave-3.8.2, but it cashes crashes when exiting octave.
>>>
>>> libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type octave_interrupt_exception
>>> panic: Abort trap: 6 -- stopping myself...
>>>
>>> Does the happen for you as well?
>>>
>>> Any chance you have a build script that works on Yosemite?
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> Ben,
>>
>> Sorry I haven't upgraded to Yosemite yet, so I do not have direct experience with this issue.
>> From experience with the previous upgrade from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, I would recommend
>> reinstalling all macports packages after the upgrade, as I recall that having some leftovers
>> from the previos version created some problems for me.
>> I am not sure this is really relevant here though.
>>
>> c.
>
> I have upgraded to Yosemite, and I use Homebrew for dependencies. At first I tried to reinstall all of them, remembering the upgrade to Mavericks, but  still couldn’t build. Then I applied the patch proposed in [1] and succeeded, without changing build script. An important glitch is that the Octave I built from source refuses to launch the GUI, but probably this is a problem of mine.
>
> Eugenio
>
> [1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?43562

I’m running the MacPorts install of octave 3.8.2 under Yosemite, and am seeing the same error as Ben when exiting.

Note: this is an issue with Xcode 6.1, not with Yosemite, as I see the same issue under Mavericks.

Marius
--
Marius Schamschula

Re: Octave on Yosemite

ailevin
I am also struggling with 3.8.2_1 under Yosemite. In addition to the segment fault on exit, I also crash and get the following message if I incorrectly index or have other run time errors in functions or oct files:

    "libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type octave_execution_exception"

Octave seems fully functional otherwise with no trouble compiling and linking oct files.

Port and Build Story

I built octave using MacPorts: "sudo port octave +atlas+docs". It is the first port after a complete uninstall, clean, and selfupdate. The install halted during install of atlas with error:
    "org.macports.configure for port atlas returned: Atlas could not detect any fortran compiler."
So "sudo port install gcc48" and the did the octave port again. This time I was fine until it got to a circular list of dependencies. I installed ghostscript with its dependencies and once again did the octave +atlas+docs install.

I have Xcode cli installed:
    "~ % pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
     package-id: com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
     version: 6.1.0.0.1.1413057044"

Can anyone give me some guidance on what might need to be reinstalled or recompiled and what switches need to be set so these uncaught exceptions get properly serviced?

Thanks,
Alan

Re: Octave on Yosemite

Julius Smith-2
At 03:21 PM 11/20/2014, ailevin wrote:
I am also struggling with 3.8.2_1 under Yosemite. In addition to the segment
fault on exit, I also crash and get the following message if I incorrectly
index or have other run time errors in functions or oct files: ...

Octave crashes on exit in Mavericks as well (at least the latest MacPorts version does):

> octave
octave:1> exit
libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type octave_interrupt_exception
panic: Abort trap: 6 -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
save to 'octave-workspace' complete
Abort

> uname -a
Darwin josmbp.local 13.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.4.0: Sun Aug 17 19:50:11 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2422.115.4~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

A lot of other stuff doesn't work as well:

> octave
octave:1> resample([1 1],2,1)
error: resample: /opt/local/lib/octave/packages/signal-1.2.2/x86_64-apple-darwin12.4.0-api-v48+/upfirdn.oct: failed to load: dlopen(/opt/local/lib/octave/packages/signal-1.2.2/x86_64-apple-darwin12.4.0-api-v48+/upfirdn.oct, 2): Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/octave/3.6.4/liboctinterp.1.dylib
  Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/octave/packages/signal-1.2.2/x86_64-apple-darwin12.4.0-api-v48+/upfirdn.oct
  Reason: image not found
libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type octave_execution_exception
panic: Abort trap: 6 -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
save to 'octave-workspace' complete
Abort

> octave
octave:1> tf(1)
error: tf: /opt/local/lib/octave/packages/control-2.6.0/x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0-api-v48+/is_real_matrix.oct: failed to load: dlopen(/opt/local/lib/octave/packages/control-2.6.0/x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0-api-v48+/is_real_matrix.oct, 2): Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/octave/3.6.4/liboctinterp.1.dylib
  Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/octave/packages/control-2.6.0/x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0-api-v48+/is_real_matrix.oct
  Reason: image not found
libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type octave_execution_exception
panic: Abort trap: 6 -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
save to 'octave-workspace' complete
Abort

> octave
octave:1> version
ans = 3.8.2

> port installed | grep octave
  octave @3.8.2_1+atlas+gcc48 (active)
  octave-control @2.6.5_0 (active)
  octave-general @1.3.4_0 (active)
  octave-signal @1.2.2_0 (active)
  octave-specfun @1.1.0_0 (active)

There seems to have been a lot of regression lately (as of a few months ago).

- Julius

[...]

Julius O. Smith III <[hidden email]>
Professor of Music and, by courtesy, Electrical Engineering
CCRMA, Stanford University
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/

Re: Octave on Yosemite

Julius Smith-2
Also I see this a lot when plotting:

Nov 21 00:53:58 josmbp.local octave-cli-3.8.2[20138] <Error>: CGContextSetShouldAntialias: invalid context 0x0. This is a serious error. This application, or a library it uses, is using an invalid context  and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system stability and reliability. This notice is a courtesy: please fix this problem. It will become a fatal error in an upcoming update.

At 12:15 AM 11/21/2014, Julius Smith wrote:
At 03:21 PM 11/20/2014, ailevin wrote:
I am also struggling with 3.8.2_1 under Yosemite. In addition to the segment
fault on exit, I also crash and get the following message if I incorrectly
index or have other run time errors in functions or oct files: ...

Octave crashes on exit in Mavericks as well (at least the latest MacPorts version does):

> octave
octave:1> exit
libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type octave_interrupt_exception
panic: Abort trap: 6 -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
save to 'octave-workspace' complete
Abort

> uname -a
Darwin josmbp.local 13.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.4.0: Sun Aug 17 19:50:11 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2422.115.4~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

A lot of other stuff doesn't work as well:

> octave
octave:1> resample([1 1],2,1)
error: resample: /opt/local/lib/octave/packages/signal-1.2.2/x86_64-apple-darwin12.4.0-api-v48+/upfirdn.oct: failed to load: dlopen(/opt/local/lib/octave/packages/signal-1.2.2/x86_64-apple-darwin12.4.0-api-v48+/upfirdn.oct, 2): Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/octave/3.6.4/liboctinterp.1.dylib
  Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/octave/packages/signal-1.2.2/x86_64-apple-darwin12.4.0-api-v48+/upfirdn.oct
  Reason: image not found
libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type octave_execution_exception
panic: Abort trap: 6 -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
save to 'octave-workspace' complete
Abort

> octave
octave:1> tf(1)
error: tf: /opt/local/lib/octave/packages/control-2.6.0/x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0-api-v48+/is_real_matrix.oct: failed to load: dlopen(/opt/local/lib/octave/packages/control-2.6.0/x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0-api-v48+/is_real_matrix.oct, 2): Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/octave/3.6.4/liboctinterp.1.dylib
  Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/octave/packages/control-2.6.0/x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0-api-v48+/is_real_matrix.oct
  Reason: image not found
libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type octave_execution_exception
panic: Abort trap: 6 -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
save to 'octave-workspace' complete
Abort

> octave
octave:1> version
ans = 3.8.2

> port installed | grep octave
  octave @3.8.2_1+atlas+gcc48 (active)
  octave-control @2.6.5_0 (active)
  octave-general @1.3.4_0 (active)
  octave-signal @1.2.2_0 (active)
  octave-specfun @1.1.0_0 (active)

There seems to have been a lot of regression lately (as of a few months ago).

- Julius

At 03:21 PM 11/20/2014, ailevin wrote:
I am also struggling with 3.8.2_1 under Yosemite. In addition to the segment
fault on exit, I also crash and get the following message if I incorrectly
index or have other run time errors in functions or oct files:

    "libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type
octave_execution_exception"

Octave seems fully functional otherwise with no trouble compiling and
linking oct files.

Port and Build Story

I built octave using MacPorts: "sudo port octave +atlas+docs". It is the
first port after a complete uninstall, clean, and selfupdate. The install
halted during install of atlas with error:
    "org.macports.configure for port atlas returned: Atlas could not detect
any fortran compiler."
So "sudo port install gcc48" and the did the octave port again. This time I
was fine until it got to a circular list of dependencies. I installed
ghostscript with its dependencies and once again did the octave +atlas+docs
install.

I have Xcode cli installed:
    "~ % pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
     package-id: com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
     version: 6.1.0.0.1.1413057044"

Can anyone give me some guidance on what might need to be reinstalled or
recompiled and what switches need to be set so these uncaught exceptions get
properly serviced?

Thanks,
Alan

Julius O. Smith III <[hidden email]>
Professor of Music and, by courtesy, Electrical Engineering
CCRMA, Stanford University
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/

Julius O. Smith III <[hidden email]>
Professor of Music and, by courtesy, Electrical Engineering
CCRMA, Stanford University
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/

Re: Octave on Yosemite

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On Thu, 2014-11-20 at 15:21 -0800, ailevin wrote:
> I am also struggling with 3.8.2_1 under Yosemite. In addition to the segment
> fault on exit, I also crash and get the following message if I incorrectly
> index or have other run time errors in functions or oct files:
>
>     "libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type
> octave_execution_exception"

Here is a WAG: are you compiling Octave or some dependency without
support for exceptions? Look for -fno-exceptions options anywhere in
your build logs.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Octave on Yosemite

ailevin
Thanks Ben. I installed with Fink and after a brief concern with mkoctfile (I needed to install the -dev version) everything is working quite well now.

Julius: I do see the error message from Quartz. My older versions of X11 made no such complaints.

Alan

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 5:51 AM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

Fink’s Octave-3.8.2 package works for me on Yosemite.  As time permits, I hope to successfully build Octave’s sources by reverse engineering Fink’s info-file.

Ben

Re: Octave on Yosemite

Sebastian Schöps
Dear Alan,

did you build the gui-branch (4.0) or the development version (4.2)? The homebrew builds of octave are also quite stable on Yosemite but they are limited to 3.8.1 and the 4.0-branch. I am currently trying to build 4.2 without success.

Bye
Sebastian

Re: Octave on Yosemite

ailevin
Dear Sebastian,

I installed 3.8.2-4-atlas-dev with no gui using Fink. I am new to Fink, and I don't know more much than this about what I installed.  Perhaps you could look in the Fink database http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/index.php?phpLang=en. My limited experience is that the Fink install goes much more smoothly on Yosemite than Macports. In fact, even on previous versions of OS X and octave, the Macports install was always a bit of a struggle.

I installed a 3.8.0 bundle with gui  on my previous OS X  system (Mountain Lion 10.9.5 I think). I was not very impressed with the gui. Granted it was in beta, but I am happy with my workflow using an octave terminal window, an editor, and plot/display windows.

Regards
Alan

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 7:10 AM, Sebastian Schöps [via Octave] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Alan,

did you build the gui-branch (4.0) or the development version (4.2)? The homebrew builds of octave are also quite stable on Yosemite but they are limited to 3.8.1 and the 4.0-branch. I am currently trying to build 4.2 without success.

Bye
Sebastian

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-on-Yosemite-tp4667302p4667429.html
To unsubscribe from Octave on Yosemite, click here.
NAML