Octave on live CD

JuanPi
Hi all,

This question might be slightly off topic.

I was wondering if anybody managed to put GNU Octave on a bootable
version of Ubuntu or any other Debian based distro.
I was trying to offer a .iso for highschool students that includes
Octave. Is there already a distro that includes it and can be booted
from a installation DVD?

I tried to use uck in Ubuntu but the terminal couldn't find the octave
package or get info form the ppa. (Following this tutorial
http://www.howtogeek.com/109736/how-to-create-a-custom-ubuntu-live-cd-or-usb/)

I guess I will have to go manual...any suggestions?

--
JuanPi Carbajal
Public GnuPG key: 81FE32B3

Re: Octave on live CD

dersh
http://www.caelinux.com/CMS/

I’ve not used that distribution, so can’t comment about it.

--Adam

On Sep 16, 2014, at 7:06 PM, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This question might be slightly off topic.
>
> I was wondering if anybody managed to put GNU Octave on a bootable
> version of Ubuntu or any other Debian based distro.
> I was trying to offer a .iso for highschool students that includes
> Octave. Is there already a distro that includes it and can be booted
> from a installation DVD?
>
> I tried to use uck in Ubuntu but the terminal couldn't find the octave
> package or get info form the ppa. (Following this tutorial
> http://www.howtogeek.com/109736/how-to-create-a-custom-ubuntu-live-cd-or-usb/)
>
> I guess I will have to go manual...any suggestions?
>

> --
> JuanPi Carbajal
> Public GnuPG key: 81FE32B3
> -----
> The end of funding: "Many researchers were caught up in a web of
> increasing exaggeration."
> - Hans Moravec

> believed to be clean.

Re: Octave on live CD

Ron.Simonson
On 09/16/2014 04:06 PM, JuanPi wrote:
> I was wondering if anybody managed to put GNU Octave on a bootable
> version of Ubuntu or any other Debian based distro.
> I was trying to offer a .iso for highschool students that includes
> Octave. Is there already a distro that includes it and can be booted
> from a installation DVD?

I have not tried this spin but they do claim to have octave
on it:

   http://spins.fedoraproject.org/scientific-kde/

Talk to you later.  Ron.

Re: Octave on live CD

Michael Creel
This post was updated on .
I have a CD image I use for teaching. I have just updated it for this semester. It's built using debian live, and has Octave 3.8.2, with an icon on the desktop to launch it. Works fine with virtualbox, but I have not tested actually booting it. See http://pareto.uab.es/mcreel/  , the part under "Projects"

username: user
pw: live

Re: Octave on live CD

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Michael Creel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a CD image I use for teaching. I have just updated it for this
> semester. It's built using debian live, and has Octave 3.8.2, with an icon
> on the desktop to launch it. Works fine with virtualbox, but I have not
> tested actually booting it. See http://pareto.uab.es/mcreel/  , the part
> under "Projects"

Michael,

That pretty neat. Thanks. I customized a lubuntu image with Octave
3.8.1 on it and Spanish language (I assume you did the same) you cat
get them here https://sites.google.com/site/octavecole/discusion .
Maybe you can give some hints about how you did your image? I used
Ubuntu Customization Kit.

Re: Octave on live CD

nrjank
At 1.1GB, i guess that's actually a Live DVD :)

any other description of what's on there? I would assume it's not just
standard debian + Octave 3.8.2 ?

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 8:11 AM, Michael Creel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a CD image I use for teaching. I have just updated it for this
> semester. It's built using debian live, and has Octave 3.8.2, with an icon
> on the desktop to launch it. Works fine with virtualbox, but I have not
> tested actually booting it. See http://pareto.uab.es/mcreel/  , the part
> under "Projects"

Re: Octave on live CD

Michael Creel
It's built using live-build. The script used to build it is attached - it shows the packages that are included. Whatever is in the directory econometricshome is put into /etc/skel. In my case, that includes my lecture notes and example code for Octave. The live-build system is pretty easy to use, and it's easy to maintain a configuration. I used to use it to build PelicanHPC, which was much more complex than this image.

make_econometrics-v1.1

Re: Octave on live CD

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Michael Creel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's built using live-build. The script used to build it is attached - it
> shows the packages that are included. Whatever is in the directory
> econometricshome is put into /etc/skel. In my case, that includes my lecture
> notes and example code for Octave. The live-build system is pretty easy to
> use, and it's easy to maintain a configuration. I used to use it to build
> PelicanHPC, which was much more complex than this image.
>
> make_econometrics-v1.1
> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4666659/make_econometrics-v1.1>

Michael, that is extremely useful for me. Thanks a lot!
I will learn how to use live-build.

Thanks again.

Re: Octave on live CD

Michael Creel
No problem. There is one other step before using the script, which is creation of the auto directory, so your build is maintainable when live-build changes. That is the place where you select the base release (testing, sid...) and the architecture. See the manual for that, it's easy. The script I posted has been used with success to build a testing image, using the live-build package that's in testing. With sid or stable, results might be different.
Cheers,
M.

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Michael Creel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's built using live-build. The script used to build it is attached - it
> shows the packages that are included. Whatever is in the directory
> econometricshome is put into /etc/skel. In my case, that includes my lecture
> notes and example code for Octave. The live-build system is pretty easy to
> use, and it's easy to maintain a configuration. I used to use it to build
> PelicanHPC, which was much more complex than this image.
>
> make_econometrics-v1.1
> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4666659/make_econometrics-v1.1>

Michael, that is extremely useful for me. Thanks a lot!
I will learn how to use live-build.

Thanks again.

Re: Octave on live CD

Michael Creel
I have made a final update of this ISO image, for this year at least, it's available at http://pareto.uab.es/mcreel/Econometrics/

This version uses KDE as the desktop, and if an .*m file is clicked on, the Octave GUI opens up with the file in the editor. This seems ideal to me for teaching purposes, to examine code before running it.

Re: Octave on live CD

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Michael Creel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have made a final update of this ISO image, for this year at least, it's
> available at http://pareto.uab.es/mcreel/Econometrics/
>
> This version uses KDE as the desktop, and if an .*m file is clicked on, the
> Octave GUI opens up with the file in the editor. This seems ideal to me for
> teaching purposes, to examine code before running it.

Michae,

Awesome, the gold here lays in the script to configure the image! For
example I would get rid of KDE.

Re: Octave on live CD

Michael Creel
KDE works surprisingly well for virtual machines. I had never tried it up to now, expecting it to be slow, but that's not the case. I will make a tar.gz of the everything needed to make your own version  (the script plus a couple of other details) available at the link I posted next week.

Re: Octave on live CD

Michael Creel
Hi Avraham,
I haven't tested burning to DVD and booting, I only use this to start a Virtualbox virtual machine. Under Virtualbox, it autologins to the KDE environment. Are you sure you have the econometrics.iso image, or did you get PelicanHPC. I have not published and md5sum for econometrics.iso.
Best,
Michael

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Avraham Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear sir,
   I downloaded the iso, checked the md5sum, burned a DVD and rebooted. The
boot process proceeded normally and got a screen that asked for username.
   I could not find that -and neither the passord- in your mail or anywhere
else. Could you please supply them?

(I saw somewhere a hint that the first step should be a configuration in
which one can chose the password, but I was given no opportunity for it:
the boot process proceeded without interruption up to the above-mentioned
screen).

   Thanks in advance, and thank you for creating the iso file and sharing
it (as well as the build scripts), Avraham
--
Please avoid sending Excel or Powerpoint attachments to this address.

Re: Octave on live CD

avraham rosenberg-3
On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 11:21:37AM +0200, Michael Creel wrote:

> Hi Avraham,
> I haven't tested burning to DVD and booting, I only use this to start a
> Virtualbox virtual machine. Under Virtualbox, it autologins to the KDE
> environment. Are you sure you have the econometrics.iso image, or did you get
> PelicanHPC. I have not published and md5sum for econometrics.iso.
> Best,
> Michael
>
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Avraham Rosenberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>     Dear sir,
>        I downloaded the iso, checked the md5sum, burned a DVD and rebooted. The
>     boot process proceeded normally and got a screen that asked for username.
>        I could not find that -and neither the passord- in your mail or anywhere
>     else. Could you please supply them?
>
>     (I saw somewhere a hint that the first step should be a configuration in
>     which one can chose the password, but I was given no opportunity for it:
>     the boot process proceeded without interruption up to the above-mentioned
>     screen).
>
>        Thanks in advance, and thank you for creating the iso file and sharing
>     it (as well as the build scripts), Avraham
>     --
>     Please avoid sending Excel or Powerpoint attachments to this address.

Thanks for the prompt answer. You are right: I did not find the md5sum for
econometrics.iso: While perusing your scripts, in the hope of finding there
the user-name and password that go with the DVD, I found the md5sums for
the various components of the iso.
   Unfortunately, my main interest was to learn the techniques required to
build a live cd/DVD -I have octave installed on my box (operating system:
debian wheezy).
--
Peconometrics.isolease avoid sending Excel or Powerpoint attachments to this address.