Octave rejected as a GSoC mentoring org

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
Bit of bad news: Octave got rejected again as an independent mentoring
organisation for GSoC.

However, we can still participate under GNU as we did last year, so
GSoC isn't over for us! We should be working with GNU in order to get
as many student slots as we can.

Also, this year, we should work on keeping students. From the
beginning, we should emphasise that the goal is to become long-term
contributors to Octave.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Octave rejected as a GSoC mentoring org

nrjank
Also, this year, we should work on keeping students. From the
beginning, we should emphasise that the goal is to become long-term
contributors to Octave.

- Jordi G. H.

was thinking of this after the previous conversation. Seems to me the key to keeping the student is to select students who would have a regular use for Octave after completion of the project. Picking up a random CS student for a summer who then goes off to doing other very different things isn't likely to have a reason to stick around. There's at least a minimal investment required for someone to stick around and provide support, even if it's just with the periodic email to the mailing list. A user has more reason to see the product improve, and would be more likely to make that investment.

Can the answer to 'What's your intended use for Octave after completion of the project?' be used as selection criteria?

nickj

On 9 April 2013 13:10, Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can the answer to 'What's your intended use for Octave after completion of
> the project?' be used as selection criteria?

Certainly, and it seems like a reasonable question to me.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Octave rejected as a GSoC mentoring org

Júlio Hoffimann
2013/4/9 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]>
Bit of bad news: Octave got rejected again as an independent mentoring
organisation for GSoC.

Hi Jordi,

For what reasons? They share what influenced their decision?

Best,
Júlio.

On 9 April 2013 13:19, Júlio Hoffimann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2013/4/9 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Bit of bad news: Octave got rejected again as an independent mentoring
>> organisation for GSoC.
>
> For what reasons? They share what influenced their decision?

They'll hold an IRC session this Friday in #gsoc on Freenode to
explain. My guess ithat like last year, we just got unlucky. I thought
our application looked very solid. Let's not lose heart! Sage got
rejected 7 times before they got accepted. Let's hope we can do better
than that.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Octave rejected as a GSoC mentoring org

Nir Krakauer-2
My guess would be that the best predictor of continuing to work on
Octave before GSoC would be working on Octave before GSoC. If so, we
should try to favor people who've previously contributed.