OctaveForge for project of the month

Carnë Draug-2
Hi everyone

SourceForge has a "project of the month" voting pool going on which
includes OctaveForge. If you guys want to vote, the link for the post
and pool are

http://sourceforge.net/blog/potm-vote-201211/
http://twtpoll.com/vvntro

Note 1: it requires a twitter account (it sucks, I already complained)
Note 2: Octave Forge is listed as GNU Octave repository. I have also
complained about this and they have fixed it on their blog. However
they could not change the name on the voting after it started (the
name is incorrect because the description of the project on
SourceForge was also incorrect. That has already been fixed).

Carnë

Re: OctaveForge for project of the month

Sergei Steshenko

> SourceForge has a "project of the month" voting pool going on which
> includes OctaveForge. If you guys want to vote, the link for the post
> and pool are
>
> http://sourceforge.net/blog/potm-vote-201211/
> http://twtpoll.com/vvntro
>
> Note 1: it requires a twitter account (it sucks, I already complained)
> Note 2: Octave Forge is listed as GNU Octave repository. I have also
> complained about this and they have fixed it on their blog. However
> they could not change the name on the voting after it started (the
> name is incorrect because the description of the project on
> SourceForge was also incorrect. That has already been fixed).
>
> Carnë

Absolutely and definitely _____no_____.

I.e. I am wholeheartedly _against_.

Here are the reasons:

1) visit http://octave.sourceforge.net/functions_by_package.php and _patiently_ scroll down;
2) if you are patient enough, you'll notice that the text left margin moves to the right, i.e. at the top the text is left-justified as it should be, bu then the text moves to the right;
3) when I was taught by various people how to develop and test the code, I was explained that number of test cases is typically (quite) big, but at least _obvious_ corner cases should be tested, and the number of obvious corner cases is typically _much_ less than the full number of test cases;
4) in this particular instance there are just _two_ corner cases: top and bottom, and the developers didn't bother to check even them.

So, because of _gross_ disrespect for very basic QA guidelines on the side of the developers I am fully opposed to nominating this project for "project of the month".

Regards,
  Sergei.

P.S. Kindergarten .....

Re: OctaveForge for project of the month

Søren Hauberg

On Oct 16, 2012, at 11:32 AM, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> Here are the reasons:
>
> 1) visit http://octave.sourceforge.net/functions_by_package.php and _patiently_ scroll down;
> 2) if you are patient enough, you'll notice that the text left margin moves to the right, i.e. at the top the text is left-justified as it should be, bu then the text moves to the right;
> 3) when I was taught by various people how to develop and test the code, I was explained that number of test cases is typically (quite) big, but at least _obvious_ corner cases should be tested, and the number of obvious corner cases is typically _much_ less than the full number of test cases;
> 4) in this particular instance there are just _two_ corner cases: top and bottom, and the developers didn't bother to check even them.
>
> So, because of _gross_ disrespect for very basic QA guidelines on the side of the developers I am fully opposed to nominating this project for "project of the month".

Sergei,

as the author of the code in question I do apologize: I am truly sorry that I forced you into using code that I developed in my (non-existing) spare-time. I really did not mean to force you to depend on this code. Please forgive me! I promise I will never ever release any code code that you could be interested in using, such that you shall never be forced to use my terrible code again. Please accept my apology for making something that serves a practical purpose, yet is imperfect. I shall never be practical again!

Yours truly,
Søren

Re: OctaveForge for project of the month

isak.davids

On 16 October 2012 12:00, Søren Hauberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Oct 16, 2012, at 11:32 AM, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> Here are the reasons:
>
> 1) visit http://octave.sourceforge.net/functions_by_package.php and _patiently_ scroll down;
> 2) if you are patient enough, you'll notice that the text left margin moves to the right, i.e. at the top the text is left-justified as it should be, bu then the text moves to the right;
> 3) when I was taught by various people how to develop and test the code, I was explained that number of test cases is typically (quite) big, but at least _obvious_ corner cases should be tested, and the number of obvious corner cases is typically _much_ less than the full number of test cases;
> 4) in this particular instance there are just _two_ corner cases: top and bottom, and the developers didn't bother to check even them.
>
> So, because of _gross_ disrespect for very basic QA guidelines on the side of the developers I am fully opposed to nominating this project for "project of the month".

Sergei,

as the author of the code in question I do apologize: I am truly sorry that I forced you into using code that I developed in my (non-existing) spare-time. I really did not mean to force you to depend on this code. Please forgive me! I promise I will never ever release any code code that you could be interested in using, such that you shall never be forced to use my terrible code again. Please accept my apology for making something that serves a practical purpose, yet is imperfect. I shall never be practical again!

Yours truly,
Søren

> I will never ever release any code that you could be interested in using

No, disagreed. We do not have to code in a way that satisfies me or the guy in the next office or Sergei (for that matter)--- do we have do?

Re: [OctDev] OctaveForge for project of the month

Nir Krakauer-2
Sarcasm's not going to help us :) But Sergei, if you would like to
improve the interface or code, you're very welcome to contribute.

Re: OctaveForge for project of the month

Sergei Steshenko

> On Oct 16, 2012, at 11:32 AM, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>>  Here are the reasons:
>>
>>  1) visit http://octave.sourceforge.net/functions_by_package.php and
> _patiently_ scroll down;
>>  2) if you are patient enough, you'll notice that the text left margin
> moves to the right, i.e. at the top the text is left-justified as it should be,
> bu then the text moves to the right;
>>  3) when I was taught by various people how to develop and test the code, I
> was explained that number of test cases is typically (quite) big, but at least
> _obvious_ corner cases should be tested, and the number of obvious corner cases
> is typically _much_ less than the full number of test cases;
>>  4) in this particular instance there are just _two_ corner cases: top and
> bottom, and the developers didn't bother to check even them.
>>
>>  So, because of _gross_ disrespect for very basic QA guidelines on the side
> of the developers I am fully opposed to nominating this project for
> "project of the month".
>
> Sergei,
>
> as the author of the code in question I do apologize: I am truly sorry that I
> forced you into using code that I developed in my (non-existing) spare-time. I
> really did not mean to force you to depend on this code. Please forgive me! I
> promise I will never ever release any code code that you could be interested in
> using, such that you shall never be forced to use my terrible code again. Please
> accept my apology for making something that serves a practical purpose, yet is
> imperfect. I shall never be practical again!
>
> Yours truly,
> Søren

Did you try to write and discuss the spec first ?

As I wrote, correct implementation of you intended (if I understand you correctly - I did carefully look into 'pkg.m') is impossible without the namespace issue resolution.

I.e. _both_ packaging and namespace implementations should be spec'ed in conjuction with each other.

And what I wrote in quoted by you reply is a more a less cosmetic issue which immediately pops into one's eyes; lack of specs are the _core_ Octave methodology development problem.

And, awarding "project of the month" to a project suffering from lack of spec is _not_ in order

Regards,
  Sergei.