Online Developer Meeting - Tuesday July 7 @ 14:00 UTC

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Online Developer Meeting - Tuesday July 7 @ 14:00 UTC

John W. Eaton
Administrator
Join us for another semi-formal meeting of Octave developers next
Tuesday July 7 at 14:00 UTC.  If I'm getting the time zones right, that
is 7:00 Pacific / 10:00 Eastern in the US, 16:00 in Central Europe and
23:00 in Japan.

I intend to use Jitsi for the meeting and will post a URL to the IRC
channel and this mailing list an hour or so before the meeting begins.

We'll mostly be discussing future directions of development and getting
updates about activities from people working on core Octave and packages.

Kai would like to take 5-10 minutes to speak about using Discourse as a
possible replacement for the help and maintainers mailing lists.

This meeting is open to anyone with an interest in Octave development.
It is not intended to be a support forum.

jwe

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Developer Meeting - Tuesday July 7 @ 14:00 UTC

Andrew Janke-2


On 6/30/20 5:25 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> Join us for another semi-formal meeting of Octave developers next
> Tuesday July 7 at 14:00 UTC.  If I'm getting the time zones right, that
> is 7:00 Pacific / 10:00 Eastern in the US, 16:00 in Central Europe and
> 23:00 in Japan.

In!

I'm not sure I've got the math right either, but we're talking 10:00 AM
US Eastern, not 10:00 PM, right?

Cheers,
Andrew

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Developer Meeting - Tuesday July 7 @ 14:00 UTC

John W. Eaton
Administrator
On 6/30/20 5:27 PM, Andrew Janke wrote:

>
>
> On 6/30/20 5:25 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>> Join us for another semi-formal meeting of Octave developers next
>> Tuesday July 7 at 14:00 UTC.  If I'm getting the time zones right, that
>> is 7:00 Pacific / 10:00 Eastern in the US, 16:00 in Central Europe and
>> 23:00 in Japan.
>
> In!
>
> I'm not sure I've got the math right either, but we're talking 10:00 AM
> US Eastern, not 10:00 PM, right?

Yes.

Maybe in a few weeks we can have another one that is at a better time
for people in the Pacific time zone.

jwe


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Developer Meeting - Tuesday July 7 @ 14:00 UTC

siko1056
In reply to this post by John W. Eaton
On 7/1/20 6:25 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> Join us for another semi-formal meeting of Octave developers next
> Tuesday July 7 at 14:00 UTC.  If I'm getting the time zones right, that
> is 7:00 Pacific / 10:00 Eastern in the US, 16:00 in Central Europe and
> 23:00 in Japan.
>
> I intend to use Jitsi for the meeting and will post a URL to the IRC
> channel and this mailing list an hour or so before the meeting begins.
>
> We'll mostly be discussing future directions of development and getting
> updates about activities from people working on core Octave and packages.
>
> Kai would like to take 5-10 minutes to speak about using Discourse as a
> possible replacement for the help and maintainers mailing lists.
>
> This meeting is open to anyone with an interest in Octave development.
> It is not intended to be a support forum.
>
> jwe
>


A wiki page to prepare our discussions is online

https://wiki.octave.org/Online_Developer_Meeting_(2020-07-07)

Kai

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Developer Meeting - Tuesday July 7 @ 14:00 UTC

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
> > Join us for another semi-formal meeting of Octave developers next
> > Tuesday July 7 at 14:00 UTC.  If I'm getting the time zones right, that
> > is 7:00 Pacific / 10:00 Eastern in the US, 16:00 in Central Europe and
> > 23:00 in Japan.
I might be able to join this one (if a meeting before doesn't extend
too much). For the time zones and organizing international meeting I
use this tool https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Developer Meeting - Tuesday July 7 @ 14:00 UTC

John W. Eaton
Administrator
In reply to this post by John W. Eaton
I have a meeting set up at

   https://meet.jit.si/octave-dev-2020-07-07

(Yes, it's not the FSF jitsi instance that I was was planning to use --
I'm still having login issues there, so I'm switching to this one instead.)

We'll start about 45 minutes from now at 14:00 UTC and I plan to have
the meeting run for an hour.  I know that Kai would like to discuss our
experience so far with using Discourse instead of mailing lists I can
talk briefly about the status of the version 6 release.  We'll also
reserve some time at the end for discussion and questions.

If you would like to present some info, please try to keep it short and
plan on no more than 5 minutes with a few more for questions.

We don't know how many people might join.  If there are technical issues
I'll take it as a learning experience.

Please mute your microphone if you are not speaking.  And as I learned
last time, using headphones can help a lot to avoid feedback if you are
speaking.

Thanks,

jwe



On 6/30/20 5:25 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> Join us for another semi-formal meeting of Octave developers next
> Tuesday July 7 at 14:00 UTC.  If I'm getting the time zones right, that
> is 7:00 Pacific / 10:00 Eastern in the US, 16:00 in Central Europe and
> 23:00 in Japan.
>
> I intend to use Jitsi for the meeting and will post a URL to the IRC
> channel and this mailing list an hour or so before the meeting begins.
>
> We'll mostly be discussing future directions of development and getting
> updates about activities from people working on core Octave and packages.
>
> Kai would like to take 5-10 minutes to speak about using Discourse as a
> possible replacement for the help and maintainers mailing lists.
>
> This meeting is open to anyone with an interest in Octave development.
> It is not intended to be a support forum.
>
> jwe
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Developer Meeting - Tuesday July 7 @ 14:00 UTC

siko1056
On 7/7/20 10:16 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 6/30/20 5:25 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>> Join us for another semi-formal meeting of Octave developers next
>> Tuesday July 7 at 14:00 UTC.  If I'm getting the time zones right,
>> that is 7:00 Pacific / 10:00 Eastern in the US, 16:00 in Central
>> Europe and 23:00 in Japan.
>>
>> I intend to use Jitsi for the meeting and will post a URL to the IRC
>> channel and this mailing list an hour or so before the meeting begins.
>>
>> We'll mostly be discussing future directions of development and
>> getting updates about activities from people working on core Octave
>> and packages.
>>
>> Kai would like to take 5-10 minutes to speak about using Discourse as
>> a possible replacement for the help and maintainers mailing lists.
>>
>> This meeting is open to anyone with an interest in Octave development.
>> It is not intended to be a support forum.
>>
>> jwe
>>
> I have a meeting set up at
>
>   https://meet.jit.si/octave-dev-2020-07-07
>
> (Yes, it's not the FSF jitsi instance that I was was planning to use --
> I'm still having login issues there, so I'm switching to this one instead.)
>
> We'll start about 45 minutes from now at 14:00 UTC and I plan to have
> the meeting run for an hour.  I know that Kai would like to discuss our
> experience so far with using Discourse instead of mailing lists I can
> talk briefly about the status of the version 6 release.  We'll also
> reserve some time at the end for discussion and questions.
>
> If you would like to present some info, please try to keep it short and
> plan on no more than 5 minutes with a few more for questions.
>
> We don't know how many people might join.  If there are technical issues
> I'll take it as a learning experience.
>
> Please mute your microphone if you are not speaking.  And as I learned
> last time, using headphones can help a lot to avoid feedback if you are
> speaking.
>
> Thanks,
>
> jwe


Thank you all for this nice meeting.  Some protocol can be found in the
wiki [1].  Please edit, correct, and extend.

Kai

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/Online_Developer_Meeting_(2020-07-07)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Developer Meeting - Tuesday July 7 @ 14:00 UTC

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
> Thank you all for this nice meeting.  Some protocol can be found in the
> wiki [1].  Please edit, correct, and extend.
>
> Kai
>
> [1] https://wiki.octave.org/Online_Developer_Meeting_(2020-07-07)

Thank you for the protocol! I couldn't attend as a previous meeting
extended till very late.
In the protocol is not clear to me if a decision was made regarding
discourse and what are the next steps. Can you add something here?

Thanks again

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Developer Meeting - Tuesday July 7 @ 14:00 UTC

siko1056
On 7/9/20 6:17 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

>> Thank you all for this nice meeting.  Some protocol can be found in the
>> wiki [1].  Please edit, correct, and extend.
>>
>> Kai
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.octave.org/Online_Developer_Meeting_(2020-07-07)
>
> Thank you for the protocol! I couldn't attend as a previous meeting
> extended till very late.
> In the protocol is not clear to me if a decision was made regarding
> discourse and what are the next steps. Can you add something here?
>
> Thanks again
>

Done.  The bottom line is, we want to give Discourse a try =)

Kai