Online Developer Meetings

On IRC yesterday, Carnë wrote

   I was thinking it would be nice if there was some
   way to follow Octave development. Something like
   OctConf but much more frequently and shorter.
   And since everyone is doing online meetings now,
   what about doing just that? I was imagining 1 hour
   or so a month, where people doing dev could talk
   on what they're up to.

I would be glad to participate.  Is anyone else interested in having
periodic online developer meetings?

After a bit of discussion, it seems we could use jitsi
(https://jitsi.org) as a free platform for conferencing, possibly using
the instance that the FSF provides to members
(https://www.fsf.org/associate/about-the-fsf-jitsi-meet-server).

Although the initial proposal is to have the meetings open to anyone, we
would like to keep them focused on development topics to avoid having
them turn into Q&A/Support sessions.

Scheduling is another minor(!) detail to work out.  Most Octave
developers are somewhere in the US Pacific time zone to somewhere in
Europe, so this covers about 10-11 hours difference.  Would weekends or
weekdays work best for most people?  Perhaps it doesn't matter too much
as we could vary the times of the meetings to allow more people to
participate.

Comments?

Re: Online Developer Meetings

apjanke-floss

On 6/2/20 3:28 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On IRC yesterday, Carnë wrote
>
>   I was thinking it would be nice if there was some
>   way to follow Octave development. Something like
>   OctConf but much more frequently and shorter.
>   And since everyone is doing online meetings now,
>   what about doing just that? I was imagining 1 hour
>   or so a month, where people doing dev could talk
>   on what they're up to.
>
> I would be glad to participate.  Is anyone else interested in having
> periodic online developer meetings?
>
> After a bit of discussion, it seems we could use jitsi
> (https://jitsi.org) as a free platform for conferencing, possibly using
> the instance that the FSF provides to members
> (https://www.fsf.org/associate/about-the-fsf-jitsi-meet-server).
>
> Although the initial proposal is to have the meetings open to anyone, we
> would like to keep them focused on development topics to avoid having
> them turn into Q&A/Support sessions.
>
> Scheduling is another minor(!) detail to work out.  Most Octave
> developers are somewhere in the US Pacific time zone to somewhere in
> Europe, so this covers about 10-11 hours difference.  Would weekends or
> weekdays work best for most people?  Perhaps it doesn't matter too much
> as we could vary the times of the meetings to allow more people to
> participate.
>
> Comments?
>
> jwe

I am interested!

Jitsi works fine for me.

I'm in New York (US Eastern) time. Either weekdays or weekends work for me.

Cheers,
Andrew

Re: Online Developer Meetings

Nir Krakauer-3
That sounds good. I'm at UTC-4 also.

Re: Online Developer Meetings

Octave - Maintainers mailing list
On 20200602@15:28, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On IRC yesterday, Carnë wrote
>
>   I was thinking it would be nice if there was some
>   way to follow Octave development. Something like
>   OctConf but much more frequently and shorter.
>   And since everyone is doing online meetings now,
>   what about doing just that? I was imagining 1 hour
>   or so a month, where people doing dev could talk
>   on what they're up to.
>
> I would be glad to participate.  Is anyone else interested in having
> periodic online developer meetings?
>
> After a bit of discussion, it seems we could use jitsi (https://jitsi.org)
> as a free platform for conferencing, possibly using the instance that the
> FSF provides to members
> (https://www.fsf.org/associate/about-the-fsf-jitsi-meet-server).
>
> Although the initial proposal is to have the meetings open to anyone, we
> would like to keep them focused on development topics to avoid having them
> turn into Q&A/Support sessions.
>
> Scheduling is another minor(!) detail to work out.  Most Octave developers
> are somewhere in the US Pacific time zone to somewhere in Europe, so this
> covers about 10-11 hours difference.  Would weekends or weekdays work best
> for most people?  Perhaps it doesn't matter too much as we could vary the
> times of the meetings to allow more people to participate.
>
> Comments?
>
> jwe
I'd be interested trying, at least for sparsersb & sparse directions.
Timezone Europe,  +0200 .
If <= 1 hour lenght is OK either weekdays or weekend.
I've among those with a FSF membership, just in case.

Michele

Re: Online Developer Meetings

Torsten Lilge
Very good idea, my timezone is UTC +0200. Since Meetings will probably
take place in the evening in my time zone, weekdays and weekend should
work both (of course, depending on the specific date).

Torsten

Re: Online Developer Meetings

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
Hi all,

This sounds like a great idea.
Sadly I won't be able to join as I am going through a very busy period.
I'll keep an eye on the developments.

Cheers

Re: Online Developer Meetings

Carlo de Falco-2
I'm interested as well, my timezone is UTC +2:00.
late evenings would work best for me.
c.

Re: Online Developer Meetings

siko1056
Great idea, I would like to join as well.  My timezone is UTC+9.

jwe to make it happen, I suggest you just announce a date and time that
is best for YOU, maybe next week?  After the first trial&error meeting
we'll see what to improve about date/tool/organization ;-)

Kai