Opening Octave

Mike Thomas

Hello,

I am having problems being able to open the octave gui on Windows 10. I am not the best with computers and file exploring type stuff so I may just be missing something or some steps somewhere. I had previously downloaded the program and it gave me 2 shortcuts on my desktop and those worked for a while but they eventually quit working or I would have to wait very long amounts of time or try opening it multiple times before it would work. I decided to uninstall and reinstall and see if that helped. I’ve installed and uninstalled 3 times in total with success for short periods of time but it always quits working. This time there are no desktop shortcuts for me and I have clicked all the programs in the .zip file after unzipping with no success. I also read the section in the manual about opening octave and when I try typing ‘octave’ in either of the shells it tells me command not found. Any help for a struggling college student would be very appreciated!

Re: Opening Octave

nrjank

Hello,

I am having problems being able to open the octave gui on Windows 10. I am not the best with computers and file exploring type stuff so I may just be missing something or some steps somewhere. I had previously downloaded the program and it gave me 2 shortcuts on my desktop and those worked for a while but they eventually quit working or I would have to wait very long amounts of time or try opening it multiple times before it would work. I decided to uninstall and reinstall and see if that helped. I’ve installed and uninstalled 3 times in total with success for short periods of time but it always quits working. This time there are no desktop shortcuts for me and I have clicked all the programs in the .zip file after unzipping with no success.

If you're using the zip package, please see the instructions at the following link for get working shortcuts:

Alternatively, you can download the .exe installers instead of the zip file. That would create the shortcuts for you. Recommend making sure you're using the latest version (5.1.0)

Not sure what's causing your other problems.

Re: Opening Octave

nrjank

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 20:39 Mike Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

I uninstalled the program again and deleted every instance of octave I could find on my computer. I then tried the .exe installer and it still will not allow me to open the shortcuts it made. I’ve even tried going into my files and opening any .m files I have and it won’t open it that way either. Although, it does recognize them as a octave.document. I have an older laptop where it shows the .m files as internet explorer files rather than octave documents. I am having the same problem with that laptop except when I try to open the .m files they will actually open the program. That computer is just outdated, slow and not my preferred choice.

Please Reply all To keep the group copied on the emails.

So with the .exe installer, you do get shortcuts, correct?  Is this your personal computer, or a company/managed system?  You have admin access on the machine (I assume since you were able to install the program)?  Where did you install Octave/what folder? Did you change it from the detail location?

What exactly happens when you use the shortcut? Anything at all? Is the behavior the same if you use the other (command line or no GUI) shortcut?  Does anything appear in the taskbar?

RE: Opening Octave

Mike Thomas

Yes, I got the shortcuts. I am using my personal computer. I installed it to my C drive. I don’t know what the detail location is but I figured saving it to the C drive was my best option. When I click the shortcut the loading wheel by the pointer pops up for about half a second and then goes away. Nothing appears on my taskbar.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Opening Octave

nrjank

 I don’t know what the detail location

Sorry. Autocorrect. I meant default location.

So, the convention on this email list is to respond inline or after a trimmed email chain.  See:   http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

RE: Opening Octave

Mike Thomas

Sorry. Autocorrect. I meant default location.

So, the convention on this email list is to respond inline or after a trimmed email chain.  See:   http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

Sorry about my etiquette. I am unaware of how to get the little line there by the previous message, but once again I uninstalled and reinstalled with the same result. I saved it to the default location using the .exe installer. The location is C:\Octave\Octave-5.1.0.0. I always leave the ‘open after installing’ box checked after the installer is done and it doesn’t even open it then. I don’t get it because I just went through the same exact process with my older laptop with them side by side and that one works but this one doesn’t. Is it possible antivirus could be blocking it or something like that? I have no antivirus protection on my older laptop but I do on this one.

Sorry. Autocorrect. I meant default location.

So, the convention on this email list is to respond inline or after a trimmed email chain.  See:   http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

Re: Opening Octave

siko1056
On 10/4/19 8:26 AM, Mike Thomas wrote:

> [...]
>
> Sorry about my etiquette. I am unaware of how to get the little line
> there by the previous message, but once again I uninstalled and
> reinstalled with the same result. I saved it to the default location
> using the .exe installer. The location is C:\Octave\Octave-5.1.0.0. I
> always leave the ‘open after installing’ box checked after the installer
> is done and it doesn’t even open it then. I don’t get it because I just
> went through the same exact process with my older laptop with them side
> by side and that one works but this one doesn’t. Is it possible
> antivirus could be blocking it or something like that? I have no
> antivirus protection on my older laptop but I do on this one.
>
> [...]

Unfortunately only you can judge what is going wrong on your machines
and please report any warnings and errors you get during the
installation process.  Maybe check your system log files too.  If you
suspect your malware detection tool (from your verbose email footer I
conclude it is "avg") to behave suspicious on your new machine, you
should try to turn it off for the Octave installation.

Kai