Package installation issues

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Package installation issues

Borge Strand-Bergesen
Hi guys,

could you please help out with some hints on package installation? I
have deleted and reinstalled octave-forge from
Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2-install.exe a few times. When I try to install
packages it either seems to hang, or it gives a long list of gcc (and
others) messages. The computer is Win7-64. It also has Octave
3.2.4 installed. I reboot inbetween uninstalls and new
installs. The install file itself seems to run fine every time. It is
the packages which give me a headache. I was able to successfully
install it on a Win7-32 box.

To uninstall I delete the folder C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2. The
"uninstall" file which ended up in the start menu has no file
extension after I run
the installation program, so I can't really use it.

How should I properly delete Octave 3.4.3 in order to try reinstalling it?

After "uninstalling" a few times I'm no longer able to provoke the
system to give me the compilation errors. Instead Octave hangs during
package install.

Is there an installation package with everything preconfigured and
included? ... or is there an active policy to only welcome users who
can figure out the packages system?

I install packages with this command:
pkg install miscellaneous-1.0.11.tar.gz struct-1.0.9.tar.gz
optim-1.0.17.tar.gz audio-1.1.4.tar.gz signal-1.1.1.tar.gz
control-2.2.3.tar.gz specfun-1.1.0.tar.gz gnuplot-1.0.1.tar.gz
multicore-0.2.15.tar.gz


Thanks,
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Package installation issues

andy buckle
On 2 January 2012 15:32, Børge Strand-Bergesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> could you please help out with some hints on package installation? I
> have deleted and reinstalled octave-forge from
> Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2-install.exe a few times. When I try to install
> packages it either seems to hang, or it gives a long list of gcc (and
> others) messages. The computer is Win7-64. It also has Octave
> 3.2.4 installed. I reboot inbetween uninstalls and new
> installs. The install file itself seems to run fine every time. It is
> the packages which give me a headache. I was able to successfully
> install it on a Win7-32 box.
>
> To uninstall I delete the folder C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2. The
> "uninstall" file which ended up in the start menu has no file
> extension after I run
> the installation program, so I can't really use it.
>
> How should I properly delete Octave 3.4.3 in order to try reinstalling it?
>
> After "uninstalling" a few times I'm no longer able to provoke the
> system to give me the compilation errors. Instead Octave hangs during
> package install.
>
> Is there an installation package with everything preconfigured and
> included? ... or is there an active policy to only welcome users who
> can figure out the packages system?
>
> I install packages with this command:
> pkg install miscellaneous-1.0.11.tar.gz struct-1.0.9.tar.gz
> optim-1.0.17.tar.gz audio-1.1.4.tar.gz signal-1.1.1.tar.gz
> control-2.2.3.tar.gz specfun-1.1.0.tar.gz gnuplot-1.0.1.tar.gz
> multicore-0.2.15.tar.gz

I made the 3.4.3 installer exe. It only unpacks files and creates
shortcuts. No registry or path changes, or anything tricky. Reboots
should not be required.

See the README (which also comes up on the web page)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave_Windows%20-%20MinGW/Octave%203.4.3%20for%20Windows%20MinGW%20Installer/

I think all the packages you need are pre-built  (maybe not quite the
same versions - I did not check all the details). They are in

Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2_pkgs_20111026.7z

You will need 7zip to extract that. Again, see the README. Building
for MinGW is tricky, so "pkg install" will not necessarily work.

I could make another installer with all the packages from the 7z.
Tatsuro, Nitzan - what do you think?

--
/* andy buckle */
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Package installation issues

Borge Strand-Bergesen
Thanks Andy,

That's good to know. The package installation process may be a bit
daunting to some, new users in particular. So I really appreciate
"full package" being available. Most people have the disk space to
spare anyway.

The computer in question is at my office. I give it the night to
install the first of the packages.

Is there such a thing as "pkg install --verbose" to see what's going
on? Do you think my Cygwin installation may be in the way?

Børge

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 17:18, Andy Buckle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2 January 2012 15:32, Børge Strand-Bergesen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> could you please help out with some hints on package installation? I
>> have deleted and reinstalled octave-forge from
>> Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2-install.exe a few times. When I try to install
>> packages it either seems to hang, or it gives a long list of gcc (and
>> others) messages. The computer is Win7-64. It also has Octave
>> 3.2.4 installed. I reboot inbetween uninstalls and new
>> installs. The install file itself seems to run fine every time. It is
>> the packages which give me a headache. I was able to successfully
>> install it on a Win7-32 box.
>>
>> To uninstall I delete the folder C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2. The
>> "uninstall" file which ended up in the start menu has no file
>> extension after I run
>> the installation program, so I can't really use it.
>>
>> How should I properly delete Octave 3.4.3 in order to try reinstalling it?
>>
>> After "uninstalling" a few times I'm no longer able to provoke the
>> system to give me the compilation errors. Instead Octave hangs during
>> package install.
>>
>> Is there an installation package with everything preconfigured and
>> included? ... or is there an active policy to only welcome users who
>> can figure out the packages system?
>>
>> I install packages with this command:
>> pkg install miscellaneous-1.0.11.tar.gz struct-1.0.9.tar.gz
>> optim-1.0.17.tar.gz audio-1.1.4.tar.gz signal-1.1.1.tar.gz
>> control-2.2.3.tar.gz specfun-1.1.0.tar.gz gnuplot-1.0.1.tar.gz
>> multicore-0.2.15.tar.gz
>
> I made the 3.4.3 installer exe. It only unpacks files and creates
> shortcuts. No registry or path changes, or anything tricky. Reboots
> should not be required.
>
> See the README (which also comes up on the web page)
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave_Windows%20-%20MinGW/Octave%203.4.3%20for%20Windows%20MinGW%20Installer/
>
> I think all the packages you need are pre-built  (maybe not quite the
> same versions - I did not check all the details). They are in
>
> Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2_pkgs_20111026.7z
>
> You will need 7zip to extract that. Again, see the README. Building
> for MinGW is tricky, so "pkg install" will not necessarily work.
>
> I could make another installer with all the packages from the 7z.
> Tatsuro, Nitzan - what do you think?
>
> --
> /* andy buckle */
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Package installation issues

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 2 January 2012 12:30, Børge Strand-Bergesen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That's good to know. The package installation process may be a bit
> daunting to some, new users in particular. So I really appreciate
> "full package" being available. Most people have the disk space to
> spare anyway.

The last time we did this, we had to deal with oct2mat issues for a
couple of years. This is happened because people installed "all"
packages without trying to understand what they were installing or
why. It's not just an oct2mat problem, for example, the nan package
fundamentally changes how Octave handles nans. Plus, many Octave-Forge
packages replace Octave functions, although at least this is warned
about nowadays. Most people do not need all Octave-Forge packages
installed at any rate.

So if you do this, just please be careful, and let's not repeat those
embarrassments. It's not just a matter of not installing oct2mat.

- Jordi G. H.
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Package installation issues

nitnit
In reply to this post by andy buckle
andy buckle wrote
I could make another installer with all the packages from the 7z.
Tatsuro, Nitzan - what do you think?
That may be useful for those users who need an installer + SF pkgs.

I have no experience with such installers so I do not know what is the best approach to rebuild the octave_packages file.

For manual installation run I have the 'pkg rebuild' several times (for different sets of packages) in order to control the auto-loading and noauto-loading of specific packages. I have run last 'pkg rebuild' for the java package in order to be loaded before the io package.

I believe that an installer can either:

a. execute these post-installation 'pkg rebuild' commands

or

b. save a default octave_packages file and patch it with the correct paths

Nitzan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Package installation issues

nitnit
In reply to this post by Borge Strand-Bergesen
Borge Strand-Bergesen wrote
Is there such a thing as "pkg install --verbose" to see what's going
on? Do you think my Cygwin installation may be in the way?
In order to 'pkg install' with mingw, many dll's lib files and header files are required except for the pkg source files. In addition, some tweaks and patched are required for the pkg source file in order to be built by ningw.

Until Andy or someone else will prepare such an installer, I think that best approach will be to download the 7z archive of the already compiled pkgs and install them manually as written in the readme.

Nitzan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Package installation issues

andy buckle
In reply to this post by Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
2012/1/2 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]>:

> On 2 January 2012 12:30, Børge Strand-Bergesen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That's good to know. The package installation process may be a bit
>> daunting to some, new users in particular. So I really appreciate
>> "full package" being available. Most people have the disk space to
>> spare anyway.
>
> The last time we did this, we had to deal with oct2mat issues for a
> couple of years. This is happened because people installed "all"
> packages without trying to understand what they were installing or
> why. It's not just an oct2mat problem, for example, the nan package
> fundamentally changes how Octave handles nans. Plus, many Octave-Forge
> packages replace Octave functions, although at least this is warned
> about nowadays. Most people do not need all Octave-Forge packages
> installed at any rate.
>
> So if you do this, just please be careful, and let's not repeat those
> embarrassments. It's not just a matter of not installing oct2mat.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

I could make an installer with packages that did "pkg rebuild -noauto
foo" for all packages. Then they would just have to "pkg rebuild -auto
foo" to install. It would be a waste of bandwidth and disk, but would
make things easy.

Any other suggestions? This is making the download options complicated...

--
/* andy buckle */
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Package installation issues

marco atzeri-2
In reply to this post by Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 1/2/2012 7:05 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> On 2 January 2012 12:30, Børge Strand-Bergesen<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> That's good to know. The package installation process may be a bit
>> daunting to some, new users in particular. So I really appreciate
>> "full package" being available. Most people have the disk space to
>> spare anyway.
>
> The last time we did this, we had to deal with oct2mat issues for a
> couple of years. This is happened because people installed "all"
> packages without trying to understand what they were installing or
> why. It's not just an oct2mat problem, for example, the nan package
> fundamentally changes how Octave handles nans. Plus, many Octave-Forge
> packages replace Octave functions, although at least this is warned
> about nowadays. Most people do not need all Octave-Forge packages
> installed at any rate.
>
> So if you do this, just please be careful, and let's not repeat those
> embarrassments. It's not just a matter of not installing oct2mat.

I suggest to not auto load any packages.
This is my solution for the cygwin forge bundle package

>
> - Jordi G. H.

Regards
Marco
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Package installation issues

bzink
In reply to this post by Borge Strand-Bergesen
The following configuration change may correct the package installation errors you observe using the latest Windows binary edition of octave (v3.4.3).

Locate the file ...\share\octave\site\m\startup\octaverc (the dots represent the top path components of the octave directory structure) and make the following changes to that file

  1. Per the instructions in the file, uncomment the four lines starting with regexprep(prefix,'\\','/');
  2. change the line that reads
    setenv('CPPFLAGS',['-I',prefix_e,'/include']);
    to
    setenv('CPPFLAGS',['-I',prefix_e,'/include' '-I' ,prefix_e, '/include/octave-3.4.3']);

Good luck.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Package installation issues

Francesco Potortì
In reply to this post by marco atzeri-2
>I suggest to not auto load any packages.

Unless I am overlooking something, I think that this would be the best
solution for any installation.  Possibly in Debian too.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.315.3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107
via G. Moruzzi 1, I-56124 Pisa         Fax:    +39.050.315.2040
(entrance 20, 1st floor, room C71)     Web:    http://fly.isti.cnr.it
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Package installation issues

andy buckle
On 3 January 2012 09:33, Francesco Potortì <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>I suggest to not auto load any packages.
>
> Unless I am overlooking something, I think that this would be the best
> solution for any installation.  Possibly in Debian too.

I have an installer for windows that does this now, including all
three 7z archives. I need to do some more tests: this is slow, as the
lzma compression takes ages in NSIS. I also need to rewrite the
README.

--
/* andy buckle */
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Package installation issues

Borge Strand-Bergesen
Looking forward!

I went through lines 117 through 167 today. It went pretty smoothly,
thanks for the great work!

Børge

When I start octave it still has a few errors to it:

=========================
...
For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

warning: C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\share\octave\packages\integration-1.0.7\PKG_ADD:
possible Matlab-style short-cir
cuit operator at line 9, column 32
io PKG_ADD: java classes has been found and added in
C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\bin
io PKG_ADD: run chk_spreadsheet_support([],3) to view io support
warning: gmsh does not seem to be present some functionalities will be disabled
warning: dx does not seem to be present some functionalities will be disabled
warning: function
C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\share\octave\packages\statistics-1.0.10\fstat.m
shadows a core library
function
octave:1>
=========================

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:49, Andy Buckle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3 January 2012 09:33, Francesco Potortì <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>I suggest to not auto load any packages.
>>
>> Unless I am overlooking something, I think that this would be the best
>> solution for any installation.  Possibly in Debian too.
>
> I have an installer for windows that does this now, including all
> three 7z archives. I need to do some more tests: this is slow, as the
> lzma compression takes ages in NSIS. I also need to rewrite the
> README.
>
> --
> /* andy buckle */
> _______________________________________________
> Help-octave mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Package installation issues

nitnit
This post was updated on .
Borge Strand-Bergesen wrote
When I start octave it still has a few errors to it:

=========================
...
For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

warning: C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\share\octave\packages\integration-1.0.7\PKG_ADD:
possible Matlab-style short-cir
cuit operator at line 9, column 32
io PKG_ADD: java classes has been found and added in
C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\bin
io PKG_ADD: run chk_spreadsheet_support([],3) to view io support
warning: gmsh does not seem to be present some functionalities will be disabled
warning: dx does not seem to be present some functionalities will be disabled
warning: function
C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\share\octave\packages\statistics-1.0.10\fstat.m
shadows a core library
function
octave:1>
You can ignore these warnings, see explanation in
http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Octave_for_Windows
Octave-3.4.3-mingw + octaveforge pkgs>Troubleshooting
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Package installation issues

mmesser314
I just installed Octave on Windows Vista. I have a few comments.

---
The installation instructions on the Ocatve download page for Windows could use a few clarifications.

For Windows, my choices are to install all packages or none. The installation instructions do not tell me that some packages change the way Octave works, and I should think before installing all of them.

It is not obvious that installing all packages will cause warnings when Octave starts up. It is not obvious that these warnings can be ignored.

It is not obvious that Octave was developed on Linux systems, and may need tuning to run as expected on Windows.

Some of these points are addressed at Octave for Windows. A link would be nice. Other points are addressed here. Some of this discussion could be added to the installation instructions.

---
This warning has a trivial fix.

warning: C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\share\octave\packages\integration-1.0.7\PKG_ADD:
 possible Matlab-style short-circuit operator at line 9, column 32

Line 9 is an if statement that can be broken into two statements.

if (!exist ("meshgrid","file") & exist ("meshdom","file"))
   dispatch("meshgrid","meshdom","any")
end