Packaging system

Søren Hauberg
Hi,
I haven't really worked on the package system in a while, because I
didn't know what needed the work. Today I have however worked a bit on
it. Now the system supports

*) Dependency checking.
*) Different installation prefix.
*) System-wide (if you're root) and local installations (if you're but a
humble user) of packages.

I'm guessing the system still contains minor bugs (like all code), but I
think it's just about done now.

I'll be happy to do some more heavy testing, write documentation,
provide scripts to aid package writers/maintainers, etc., but I will not
spend time on it unless there's a good chance of getting this included
with Octave.

So I guess I need some feedback on what features are needed, etc.

As always you can get the system at http://hauberg.org/octave-package/
(direct download: http://hauberg.org/octave-package/package-0.1.tgz).

Thanks,
Søren

Packaging system

John W. Eaton-6
On 23-Jul-2005, Søren Hauberg wrote:

| I'll be happy to do some more heavy testing, write documentation,
| provide scripts to aid package writers/maintainers, etc., but I will not
| spend time on it unless there's a good chance of getting this included
| with Octave.

Yes, I would like to have a packaging system and functions to support
it that are part of the core Octave distribution.  Unfortunately, I
will not have any time for the next two weeks to help with this
project (I will be completely away from email for about ten days
starting 7/28) but will be happy to help you with it after that.

jwe