Plot looking bad

hvn

Plot looking bad

hvn
Hi,

Using Fedora 21 and Octave 3.8.2 on a pc with nVidia video NV34 chipset, I want to do a simple plot:
x = linspace(0, pi);
plot(sin(2*x));
Instead of a sine plot, I get the result in the attachment. I got a similar result using Fedora 20 with same Octave version. Does this mean that Octave (or plot) doesn't support this video chipset anymore ?

Thanks.

octave-plot.jpg (187K) Download Attachment

Re: Plot looking bad

vinukn
Try to change graphics toolkit graphics_toolkit gnuplot, then plot. If problem persist report bug.
hvn

Re: Plot looking bad

hvn
On 12/10/2014 03:20 PM, vinukn wrote:
Try to change graphics toolkit graphics_toolkit gnuplot, then plot. If
problem persist report bug.
Thank you ...that works.

Re: Plot looking bad

Andreas Weber-2
On 10.12.2014 14:04, Huub wrote:
> Using Fedora 21 and Octave 3.8.2 on a pc with nVidia video NV34 chipset,
> I want to do a simple plot:
> x = linspace(0, pi);
> plot(sin(2*x));
> Instead of a sine plot, I get the result in the attachment. I got a
> similar result using Fedora 20 with same Octave version. Does this mean
> that Octave (or plot) doesn't support this video chipset anymore ?

The default graphics_toolkit is FLTK which uses OpenGL to draw plots.

Is your OpenGL setup okay? Does "glxinfo | grep direct" show "direct
rendering: Yes". Can you run "glxgears" without problems? What version
is your libfltk? What happens if you move the window out of the screen
and back again?

Andy

hvn

Re: Plot looking bad

hvn
Hi Andy,
On 10.12.2014 14:04, Huub wrote:
Using Fedora 21 and Octave 3.8.2 on a pc with nVidia video NV34 chipset,
I want to do a simple plot:
x = linspace(0, pi);
plot(sin(2*x));
Instead of a sine plot, I get the result in the attachment. I got a
similar result using Fedora 20 with same Octave version. Does this mean
that Octave (or plot) doesn't support this video chipset anymore ?
The default graphics_toolkit is FLTK which uses OpenGL to draw plots.

Is your OpenGL setup okay? Does "glxinfo | grep direct" show "direct
rendering: Yes".
Yes, it does.
Can you run "glxgears" without problems?
Yes, I can.
What version is your libfltk?
find /usr -name libfltk*
/usr/lib/libfltk_gl.so.1.3
/usr/lib/libfltk_images.so.1.3
/usr/lib/libfltk.so.1.3
/usr/lib/libfltk_forms.so.1.3

What happens if you move the window out of the screen
and back again?
Stays the same, but as replied earlier: changing to gnuplot works.

Re: Plot looking bad

Andreas Weber-2
Hi Huub,

On 12.12.2014 11:34, Huub wrote:

>> Is your OpenGL setup okay? Does "glxinfo | grep direct" show "direct
>> rendering: Yes".
> Yes, it does.
>> Can you run "glxgears" without problems?
> Yes, I can.
>> What version is your libfltk?
> find /usr -name libfltk*
> /usr/lib/libfltk_gl.so.1.3
> /usr/lib/libfltk_images.so.1.3
> /usr/lib/libfltk.so.1.3
> /usr/lib/libfltk_forms.so.1.3
>> What happens if you move the window out of the screen
>> and back again?
> Stays the same, but as replied earlier: changing to gnuplot works.

The default graphics toolkit in 3.8.2 is the one which uses FLTK and
this should work. Switching to gnuplot is only a workaround but we
should nevertheless find the problem with fltk.

-- Andy

Re: Plot looking bad

vinukn
Again one more test, does octave support qt graphicr handle? Type graphics_toolkit qt
again plot. Does it work?
hvn

Re: Plot looking bad

hvn
On 12/12/2014 03:34 PM, vinukn wrote:
Again one more test, does octave support qt graphicr handle? Type
graphics_toolkit qt
again plot. Does it work?
I would say no:

>> graphics_toolkit qt
error: graphics_toolkit: qt toolkit is not available
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.8.2/m/plot/util/graphics_toolkit.m at line 70, column 5