Problem by Octave-cli

Khosravi, Nika

Hi,

I've installed Octave for using it on jupyter notebook. The octave kernel seems to be installed already but it does not work. In other words, the kernel is not executable.

It keeps telling me that: Octave-cli not found!

I found only one solution online : We require the octave-cli executable to run the kernel. Add that executable's directory to the PATH environment variable or use the OCTAVE_EXECUTABLE to point to the executable itself. Note that on Octave 5 on Windows, the executable is in "Octave-5.x.x.x\mingw64\bin".

I tried to add that executable's directory to the PATH environment variable but it did not work for me or I did not do it as I suppose to and I have no idea how to use the  OCTAVE_EXECUTABLE.

I would be very thankful  if you could help me with this.

Regards,

Nika

Re: Problem by Octave-cli

siko1056
On 5/19/20 4:48 AM, Khosravi, Nika wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Octave for using it on jupyter notebook. The octave
> kernel seems to be installed already but it does not work. In other
> words, the kernel is not executable.
>
> It keeps telling me that: Octave-cli not found!
>
> I found only one solution online : We require
> the |octave-cli| executable to run the kernel. Add that executable's
> directory to the |PATH| environment variable or use
> the |OCTAVE_EXECUTABLE| to point to the executable itself. Note that on
> Octave 5 on Windows, the executable is in |"Octave-5.x.x.x\mingw64\bin"|.
>
> I tried to add that executable's directory to the |PATH| environment
> variable but it did not work for me or I did not do it as I suppose to
> and I have no idea how to use the  |OCTAVE_EXECUTABLE.|
>
> I would be very thankful  if you could help me with this.
>

> Regards,
>
> Nika

If you start jupyter notebook from cmd.exe, you can type this

  set OCTAVE_EXECUTABLE=C:\Octave\Octave-5.x.x.x\mingw64\bin\octave-cli.exe

before starting jupyter notebook.  Otherwise, you can try to set
"octave-cli.exe" to your PATH environment variable and to create a new
environment variable OCTAVE_EXECUTABLE with the value above.

HTH,
Kai

AW: Problem by Octave-cli

Khosravi, Nika

Hi Kai,

thank you for answering. I tried this "set OCTAVE_EXECUTABLE=C:\Octave\Octave-5.x.x.x\mingw64\bin\octave-cli.exe"  but it didn't work :(

How can I set "octave-cli.exe" to my PATH environment variable?

Regards,

Nika

On 5/19/20 4:48 AM, Khosravi, Nika wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've installed Octave for using it on jupyter notebook. The octave
> kernel seems to be installed already but it does not work. In other
> words, the kernel is not executable.
>
> It keeps telling me that: Octave-cli not found!
>
> I found only one solution online : We require
> the |octave-cli| executable to run the kernel. Add that executable's
> directory to the |PATH| environment variable or use
> the |OCTAVE_EXECUTABLE| to point to the executable itself. Note that on
> Octave 5 on Windows, the executable is in |"Octave-5.x.x.x\mingw64\bin"|.
>
> I tried to add that executable's directory to the |PATH| environment
> variable but it did not work for me or I did not do it as I suppose to
> and I have no idea how to use the  |OCTAVE_EXECUTABLE.|
>
> I would be very thankful  if you could help me with this.
>

> Regards,
>
> Nika

If you start jupyter notebook from cmd.exe, you can type this

  set OCTAVE_EXECUTABLE=C:\Octave\Octave-5.x.x.x\mingw64\bin\octave-cli.exe

before starting jupyter notebook.  Otherwise, you can try to set
"octave-cli.exe" to your PATH environment variable and to create a new
environment variable OCTAVE_EXECUTABLE with the value above.

HTH,
Kai

Re: Problem by Octave-cli

mmuetzel
Am 19. Mai 2020 um 10:15 Uhr schrieb "Khosravi, Nika":
> Hi Kai,

> thank you for answering. I tried this "set OCTAVE_EXECUTABLE=C:\Octave\Octave-5.x.x.x\mingw64\bin\octave-cli.exe"  but it didn't work :(

I'm pretty sure the "x.x.x" in the path that you wrote in your original message was a place holder for the version you installed.
For Octave 5.2.0, the path to the executable would be:
"C:\Octave\Octave-5.2.0\mingw64\bin\octave-cli.exe"

So for that version, you would issue the following command:
set OCTAVE_EXECUTABLE="C:\Octave\Octave-5.2.0\mingw64\bin\octave-cli.exe"

Did you try with the correct path for the version you installed?

> How can I set "octave-cli.exe" to my PATH environment variable?

There are many instructions online that guide you through the process. Chose the one you like most:
https://www.google.com/search?q=add+to+the+path+on+windows+10

HTH,
Markus

AW: Problem by Octave-cli