Problem in installation of Package io

Farzadtb
Hi All

I am not succeeding in installing io package on a win 7 system , where I get these errors trying to install , what is the cause and the solution ?

>> pkg install io-2.4.13.tar.gz
configure: error: in `/c/Users/AppData/Local/Temp/oct-HSr7HX/io-2.4.13/src':
configure: error: cannot run C++ compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details
configure: loading site script /usr/local/etc/config.site
checking for mkoctfile... C:/Octave/OCTAVE~1.0/mingw64/bin/mkoctfile-5.1.0.exe
checking for octave-config... C:/Octave/OCTAVE~1.0/mingw64/bin/octave-config-5.1.0.exe
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.exe
checking for suffix of executables... .exe
checking whether we are cross compiling...
pkg: error running the configure script for io.
error: called from
    configure_make at line 82 column 9
    install at line 184 column 7
    pkg at line 441 column 9

--
SeyedFarzad Torabi
Master of Mech. Eng.

Re: Problem in installation of Package io

siko1056
On 10/25/19 6:15 AM, Farzad Torabi wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am not succeeding in installing io package on a win 7 system , where I
> get these errors trying to install , what is the cause and the solution ?
>
> />> pkg install io-2.4.13.tar.gz
> configure: error: in `/c/Users/AppData/Local/Temp/oct-HSr7HX/io-2.4.13/src':
> configure: error: cannot run C++ compiled programs.
> If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
> See `config.log' for more details
> configure: loading site script /usr/local/etc/config.site
> checking for mkoctfile...
> C:/Octave/OCTAVE~1.0/mingw64/bin/mkoctfile-5.1.0.exe
> checking for octave-config...
> C:/Octave/OCTAVE~1.0/mingw64/bin/octave-config-5.1.0.exe
> checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
> checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.exe
> checking for suffix of executables... .exe
> checking whether we are cross compiling...
> pkg: error running the configure script for io.
> error: called from
>     configure_make at line 82 column 9
>     install at line 184 column 7
>     pkg at line 441 column 9/
>
> --
> SeyedFarzad Torabi

On my Win10 machine I managed to install the new io-2.4.13 from tar.gz
and via "pkg install -forge io".  I have no Win7 system to experiment.

My impression is, that your temp directory has insufficient permissions
"error: cannot run C++ compiled programs".  Make sure that all
directories you use (including the Octave directory) have read, write,
and execution permissions (right-click > Security tab).

Another strange observation is your temp path itself:

   /c/Users/AppData/Local/Temp/oct-HSr7HX/io-2.4.13/src

Where is the username?

   /c/Users/kai/AppData/Local/Temp/oct-HSr7HX/io-2.4.13/src

in my case.  Maybe there is some bad configuration on your system or did
you strip it for public display?

HTH,
Kai

Problem in installation of Package io

Farzadtb
I did strip it

Il ven 25 ott 2019, 04:45 Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
On 10/25/19 6:15 AM, Farzad Torabi wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am not succeeding in installing io package on a win 7 system , where I
> get these errors trying to install , what is the cause and the solution ?
>
> />> pkg install io-2.4.13.tar.gz
> configure: error: in `/c/Users/AppData/Local/Temp/oct-HSr7HX/io-2.4.13/src':
> configure: error: cannot run C++ compiled programs.
> If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
> See `config.log' for more details
> configure: loading site script /usr/local/etc/config.site
> checking for mkoctfile...
> C:/Octave/OCTAVE~1.0/mingw64/bin/mkoctfile-5.1.0.exe
> checking for octave-config...
> C:/Octave/OCTAVE~1.0/mingw64/bin/octave-config-5.1.0.exe
> checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
> checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.exe
> checking for suffix of executables... .exe
> checking whether we are cross compiling...
> pkg: error running the configure script for io.
> error: called from
>     configure_make at line 82 column 9
>     install at line 184 column 7
>     pkg at line 441 column 9/
>
> --
> SeyedFarzad Torabi

On my Win10 machine I managed to install the new io-2.4.13 from tar.gz
and via "pkg install -forge io".  I have no Win7 system to experiment.

My impression is, that your temp directory has insufficient permissions
"error: cannot run C++ compiled programs".  Make sure that all
directories you use (including the Octave directory) have read, write,
and execution permissions (right-click > Security tab).

Another strange observation is your temp path itself:

   /c/Users/AppData/Local/Temp/oct-HSr7HX/io-2.4.13/src

Where is the username?

   /c/Users/kai/AppData/Local/Temp/oct-HSr7HX/io-2.4.13/src

in my case.  Maybe there is some bad configuration on your system or did
you strip it for public display?

HTH,
Kai

Re: Problem in installation of Package io

Farzadtb
By the way , I should add 2 points :

1- I don't know which are all the folders Octave uses: you said :

My impression is, that your temp directory has insufficient permissions
"error: cannot run C++ compiled programs".  Make sure that all
directories you use (including the Octave directory) have read, write,
and execution permissions (right-click > Security tab).

How can I know a list of all folders I should change permissions to?

2- actually, this folder I had in the error, has disappeared from my Temp, regardless that here was stripped. but I searched for it to change permission, so I feel that I should change the permissions to the whole Temp folder.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 4:45 AM Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/25/19 6:15 AM, Farzad Torabi wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am not succeeding in installing io package on a win 7 system , where I
> get these errors trying to install , what is the cause and the solution ?
>
> />> pkg install io-2.4.13.tar.gz
> configure: error: in `/c/Users/AppData/Local/Temp/oct-HSr7HX/io-2.4.13/src':
> configure: error: cannot run C++ compiled programs.
> If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
> See `config.log' for more details
> configure: loading site script /usr/local/etc/config.site
> checking for mkoctfile...
> C:/Octave/OCTAVE~1.0/mingw64/bin/mkoctfile-5.1.0.exe
> checking for octave-config...
> C:/Octave/OCTAVE~1.0/mingw64/bin/octave-config-5.1.0.exe
> checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
> checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.exe
> checking for suffix of executables... .exe
> checking whether we are cross compiling...
> pkg: error running the configure script for io.
> error: called from
>     configure_make at line 82 column 9
>     install at line 184 column 7
>     pkg at line 441 column 9/
>
> --
> SeyedFarzad Torabi

On my Win10 machine I managed to install the new io-2.4.13 from tar.gz
and via "pkg install -forge io".  I have no Win7 system to experiment.

My impression is, that your temp directory has insufficient permissions
"error: cannot run C++ compiled programs".  Make sure that all
directories you use (including the Octave directory) have read, write,
and execution permissions (right-click > Security tab).

Another strange observation is your temp path itself:

   /c/Users/AppData/Local/Temp/oct-HSr7HX/io-2.4.13/src

Where is the username?

   /c/Users/kai/AppData/Local/Temp/oct-HSr7HX/io-2.4.13/src

in my case.  Maybe there is some bad configuration on your system or did
you strip it for public display?

HTH,
Kai

--
SeyedFarzad Torabi
Master of Mech. Eng.
Politecnico Di Milano

Re: Problem in installation of Package io

Farzadtb
I checked and I actually have permissions of read and write to Temp Folder . So now that's strage !

Footnote : I use Gmail and I can not change the email topic everytime I answer a post, but I continue receiving automatic emails from the team to users to change the topics to something more meaningful which is not clear to what and how ! when it's not even possible to change it from Desktop

On 10/25/19 4:46 PM, Farzad Torabi wrote:

> I checked and I actually have permissions of read and write to Temp
> Folder . So now that's strage !

Ensure read, write, and EXECUTION permission in the folders (including
all subfolders):

   C:/Users/YOUR_USER_NAME/AppData/Local/Temp
   C:/Octave

and your current directory, if you start "pkg install".

The temp folders are likely to disappear, this is their purpose (temporary).

A final idea is to deactivate your Avast and other malware software you
have installed on your system and even controls your emails.  These
tools sometimes do not like executables to be created ;-)

On 10/25/19 4:46 PM, Farzad Torabi wrote:

> Footnote : I use Gmail and I can not change the email topic everytime I
> answer a post, but I continue receiving automatic emails from the team
> to users to change the topics to something more meaningful which is not
> clear to what and how ! when it's not even possible to change it from
> Desktop

What automatic emails do you receive?  AFAIK, the Octave mailing list
does not molest users with such things.

Another important thing is to write the answers BELOW the old email text
(bottom posting).  This makes the conversation much easier.

Kai

Re: Problem in installation of Package io

nrjank
> My impression is, that your temp directory has insufficient permissions
> "error: cannot run C++ compiled programs".

I think Kai is likely right.  I ran into this problem on a managed
machine at work.  Security policy rollout included disallowing
executables from the Temp space through Group Policy, which included
the compiling Octave does for some packages.

What I did was make a C:\Octave\Temp folder, and then at the start of
every Octave session I execute:

setenv('tmpdir','c:\Programs\Octave\Temp\')

(i added that line to the .octaverc file located at the base of my
user profile folder)

give that a try. if it works you know that's the problem.

see the following discussion:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?55646

Re: Problem in installation of Package io

Farzadtb
Hi guys!
Thank you so much for the help. Indeed it was from permissions. I changed the one of c:/Octave and it resolved