Problem using Octave and gnuplot in Windows

Problem using Octave and gnuplot in Windows

ERIKSSON ANDERS
Hi,
there seems to be a problem when running Octave 2.0.13 and
gnuplot 3.7 on Windows'98.

The following command sequence works as it should:

octave>    a = rand (100,1)
octave>    a

Octave displays the column vector in browsing (less) mode and the Octave prompt
returns when I hit the q key.

However, the following sequence will cause Octave to hang:

octave>    a = rand (100,1)
octave>    gplot (a)
octave>    a

gnuplot works perfectly, but when the last command displays the "a" vector,
and Octave goes into browsing mode, it will hang when I try to exit
this mode.. The Octave prompt does not return, regardless how I try to quit the browsing
mode using the q key or ctrl-C.

The problem seems to be related to the pipe-gnuplot process. If I kill this
process after the gplot command, before going into the browsing mode,
the browsing mode will work.
Likewise, if I use the closeplot command after the gplot command,
the browsing will work. But these work-arounds are rather inconvenient.

Any suggestions for a solution?

I have made the installation according to the instructions in
ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/BINARIES/gnu-win32/README.gnu-win32-install

I use the following binaries:

octave-2.0.13-i386-pc-cygwin32
less-gnu-win32
pipe-gnuplot
cdk

They are all the current versions from
ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/BINARIES/gnu-win32/

I use the current gnuplot 3.7 binary
gnuplot3_7cyg from
ftp://ftp.dartmouth.edu/pub/gnuplot

Best regards

Anders Eriksson
Bandhagen
Stockholm
Sweden

Problem using Octave and gnuplot in Windows

John W. Eaton-6
On 20-Apr-1999, ERIKSSON ANDERS <[hidden email]> wrote:

| there seems to be a problem when running Octave 2.0.13 and
| gnuplot 3.7 on Windows'98.
|
| The following command sequence works as it should:
|
| octave>    a = rand (100,1)
| octave>    a
|
| Octave displays the column vector in browsing (less) mode and the Octave prompt
| returns when I hit the q key.
|
| However, the following sequence will cause Octave to hang:
|
| octave>    a = rand (100,1)
| octave>    gplot (a)
| octave>    a
|
| gnuplot works perfectly, but when the last command displays the "a" vector,
| and Octave goes into browsing mode, it will hang when I try to exit
| this mode.. The Octave prompt does not return, regardless how I try to quit the browsing
| mode using the q key or ctrl-C.
|
| The problem seems to be related to the pipe-gnuplot process. If I kill this
| process after the gplot command, before going into the browsing mode,
| the browsing mode will work.
| Likewise, if I use the closeplot command after the gplot command,
| the browsing will work. But these work-arounds are rather inconvenient.
|
| Any suggestions for a solution?
|
| I have made the installation according to the instructions in
| ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/BINARIES/gnu-win32/README.gnu-win32-install
|
| I use the following binaries:
|
| octave-2.0.13-i386-pc-cygwin32
| less-gnu-win32
| pipe-gnuplot
| cdk
|
| They are all the current versions from
| ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/BINARIES/gnu-win32/

So you are using the cygwin b19 library?  I wonder if this problem is
solved by the b20 library.  Can anyone else who is using Octave on a
Windows platform reproduce the bug, or confirm that it is not present
with some other version of Windows (95, NT) or with a newer version of
the cygwin libraries?

I no longer have easy access to a system running any version of
Windows, so I can't debug this problem.

Re: Problem using Octave and gnuplot in Windows

ERIKSSON ANDERS

>On 20-Apr-1999, ERIKSSON ANDERS <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>| there seems to be a problem when running Octave 2.0.13 and
>| gnuplot 3.7 on Windows'98.
>|
>| The following command sequence works as it should:
>|
>| octave>    a = rand (100,1)
>| octave>    a
>|
>| Octave displays the column vector in browsing (less) mode and the Octave prompt
>| returns when I hit the q key.
>|
>| However, the following sequence will cause Octave to hang:
>|
>| octave>    a = rand (100,1)
>| octave>    gplot (a)
>| octave>    a
>|
>| gnuplot works perfectly, but when the last command displays the "a" vector,
>| and Octave goes into browsing mode, it will hang when I try to exit
>| this mode.. The Octave prompt does not return, regardless how I try to quit the browsing
>| mode using the q key or ctrl-C.
>|
>| The problem seems to be related to the pipe-gnuplot process. If I kill this
>| process after the gplot command, before going into the browsing mode,
>| the browsing mode will work.
>| Likewise, if I use the closeplot command after the gplot command,
>| the browsing will work. But these work-arounds are rather inconvenient.
>|
>| Any suggestions for a solution?
>|
>| I have made the installation according to the instructions in
>| ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/BINARIES/gnu-win32/README.gnu-win32-install
>|
>| I use the following binaries:
>|
>| octave-2.0.13-i386-pc-cygwin32
>| less-gnu-win32
>| pipe-gnuplot
>| cdk
>|
>| They are all the current versions from
>| ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/BINARIES/gnu-win32/
>
>So you are using the cygwin b19 library?  I wonder if this problem is
>solved by the b20 library.  Can anyone else who is using Octave on a
>Windows platform reproduce the bug, or confirm that it is not present
>with some other version of Windows (95, NT) or with a newer version of
>the cygwin libraries?
>
>I no longer have easy access to a system running any version of
>Windows, so I can't debug this problem.
>
>Thanks,
>
>jwe

So I installed cygwin b20.1 and now it works perfectly!
The problem I described above seems to be related to
cygwin b19.

Best regards

Anders Eriksson
Stockholm