Problem with shared library libhdf5.so.6

Problem with shared library libhdf5.so.6

babelproofreader
When I try to start Octave I am getting this error:

octave: error while loading shared libraries: libhdf5.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Can anyone suggest how I can fix this?

Re: Problem with shared library libhdf5.so.6

martin_helm
Am Dienstag, 3. August 2010 20:47:46 schrieb babelproofreader:
> When I try to start Octave I am getting this error:
>
> octave: error while loading shared libraries: libhdf5.so.6: cannot open
>
> Can anyone suggest how I can fix this?

Can you tell us which version of octave on which platform you are running and
if you compiled it yourself or is it a binary build you just installed?

>From the message I guess it is linux but more I can not guess from it.

- mh

Re: Problem with shared library libhdf5.so.6

babelproofreader
The problem has been solved. The library was inadvertently deleted by a system update, and re-installation has fixed it.

Re: Problem with shared library libhdf5.so.6

babelproofreader
It seems I spoke too soon. Although I can now start Octave, I cannot run scripts - I now get this error

error: libhdf5-1.6.6.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

which I don't understand as I do have the libhdf5 library installed: specifically libhdf5-openmpi-1.8.4-5 installed from Ubuntu repositories. I have Octave version 3.2.4 installed on a 64 bit Ubuntu 10.04 system
and Octave was manually installed from a downloaded tar.gz file.

Am Mittwoch, 4. August 2010 17:29:51 schrieb babelproofreader:

> It seems I spoke too soon. Although I can now start Octave, I cannot run
> scripts - I now get this error
>
> error: libhdf5-1.6.6.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>
> which I don't understand as I do have the libhdf5 library installed:
> specifically libhdf5-openmpi-1.8.4-5 installed from Ubuntu repositories. I
> have Octave version 3.2.4 installed on a 64 bit Ubuntu 10.04 system
> and Octave was manually installed from a downloaded tar.gz file.

So you compiled it. Did ./configure give you any warnings about the hdf5
libraries when you run it (if you remeber that, or simply go into the source
folder and run it to see if there are warnings)?

Is the development package for lbhdf5 installed (with the openmpi version of
it I have no expirience)?

The name should be something like libhdf5-dev or similar on a ubuntu.

- mh

Re: Problem with shared library libhdf5.so.6

babelproofreader
The problem does seem to be finally fixed.

> Did ./configure give you any warnings about the hdf5 libraries when you run it (if you remember that, or simply go into the source folder and run it to see if there are warnings)?

Running ./configure led me to believe I had the wrong version of the hdf5 libraries installed, so I tried all 4 versions that are available from the Ubuntu repository and used the one that seemed to configure correctly i.e. ./configure gives

  QRUPDATE libraries: -lqrupdate
  HDF5 libraries:       -lhdf5
  CURL libraries:       -lcurl

with no warnings, and recompiled Octave. Running it for the first time still gave an error, but this time with information about which line in my script was failing. It turned out that a .oct function I have written called "ema" was mistakenly being called by mma in my script, leading to the error. I have NO idea how "ema" was transcribed to "mma," and I can only assume that it must be a complete coincidence that there may be a function or routine called "mma" in the library that Octave was complaining that I don't have installed, instead of giving a normal "mma undefined" error, and that this all happened immediately after apt-get autoremove removed some obsolete packages from my system. Anyway, things do now seem to be working as normal.