Problem with the command window of the GUI

Problem with the command window of the GUI

Julien Bect
Dear maintainers,

I have a slightly annoying problem with the GUI : if I simply start the
GUI (run-octave) and then type "help plot", I end up with my prompt
being truncated, at the bottom of the command window. The only way i
could find, to get out of this situation, was to type "clc"...

See attached screenshot (Ubuntu 13.04 with Octave 3.7.7+, 6b787e274eb1,
freshly built).

I don't know if I'm the only one seing this... Should I file a bug report ?

@++
Julien

jbScreenshot-2013-11-04-11:31:20.png (136K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem with the command window of the GUI

Richard Crozier
On 04/11/2013 10:40, Julien Bect wrote:

> Dear maintainers,
>
> I have a slightly annoying problem with the GUI : if I simply start the
> GUI (run-octave) and then type "help plot", I end up with my prompt
> being truncated, at the bottom of the command window. The only way i
> could find, to get out of this situation, was to type "clc"...
>
> See attached screenshot (Ubuntu 13.04 with Octave 3.7.7+, 6b787e274eb1,
> freshly built).
>
> I don't know if I'm the only one seing this... Should I file a bug report ?
>
> @++
> Julien

I also used to see this, but it had seemed to have gone away recently,
so I never reported it. Perhaps it just takes a particular length of
text to produce it though.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: Problem with the command window of the GUI

Torsten
On 04.11.2013 12:18, Richard Crozier wrote:

> On 04/11/2013 10:40, Julien Bect wrote:
>> Dear maintainers,
>>
>> I have a slightly annoying problem with the GUI : if I simply start the
>> GUI (run-octave) and then type "help plot", I end up with my prompt
>> being truncated, at the bottom of the command window. The only way i
>> could find, to get out of this situation, was to type "clc"...
>>
>> See attached screenshot (Ubuntu 13.04 with Octave 3.7.7+, 6b787e274eb1,
>> freshly built).
>>
>> I don't know if I'm the only one seing this... Should I file a bug
>> report ?
>>
>> @++
>> Julien
>

> I also used to see this, but it had seemed to have gone away recently,
> so I never reported it. Perhaps it just takes a particular length of
> text to produce it though.
>
> Richard

I still see this behavior. There are pathces for this issue in
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8091 but the discussion have never been
finished. The last patch version truncates the first line of the startup
message.

Torsten

On 04/11/2013 11:58, Torsten wrote:
> On 04.11.2013 12:18, Richard Crozier wrote:
>> On 04/11/2013 10:40, Julien Bect wrote:

> I still see this behavior. There are pathces for this issue in
> https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8091 but the discussion have never been
> finished. The last patch version truncates the first line of the startup
> message.
>
> Torsten

hmm, I would actually consider this bug a blocker for the release, as it
makes the terminal in the gui unusable once it happens unless you resize
the window.

On 04.11.2013 12:58, Torsten wrote:

> On 04.11.2013 12:18, Richard Crozier wrote:
>> On 04/11/2013 10:40, Julien Bect wrote:
>>> Dear maintainers,
>>>
>>> I have a slightly annoying problem with the GUI : if I simply start the
>>> GUI (run-octave) and then type "help plot", I end up with my prompt
>>> being truncated, at the bottom of the command window. The only way i
>>> could find, to get out of this situation, was to type "clc"...
>>>
>>> See attached screenshot (Ubuntu 13.04 with Octave 3.7.7+, 6b787e274eb1,
>>> freshly built).
>>>
>>> I don't know if I'm the only one seing this... Should I file a bug
>>> report ?
>>>
>>> @++
>>> Julien
>>

>> I also used to see this, but it had seemed to have gone away recently,
>> so I never reported it. Perhaps it just takes a particular length of
>> text to produce it though.
>>
>> Richard
>>

> I still see this behavior. There are pathces for this issue in
> https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8091 but the discussion have never been
> finished. The last patch version truncates the first line of the startup
> message.
>
> Torsten

I forgot to mention the discussion before the patches in
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2013-June/034572.html

Torsten

On 04/11/2013 12:14, Torsten wrote:

> On 04.11.2013 12:58, Torsten wrote:

>>> I also used to see this, but it had seemed to have gone away recently,
>>> so I never reported it. Perhaps it just takes a particular length of
>>> text to produce it though.
>>>
>>> Richard
>>>

>> I still see this behavior. There are pathces for this issue in
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8091 but the discussion have never been
>> finished. The last patch version truncates the first line of the startup
>> message.
>>
>> Torsten
>
> I forgot to mention the discussion before the patches in
> https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2013-June/034572.html
>
> Torsten

ok, further to this I might add that Matlab's solution is the fractional
line at top behaviour. I didn't see this mentioned in the thread, but
there was a question of what do other terminals do, and the ML one seems
relevant (although I know we are not replicating their GUI, at least
hopefully not, now that they are ruining it with a ribbon interface).

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: Problem with the command window of the GUI

Daniel Sebald
On 11/04/2013 06:10 AM, Richard Crozier wrote:

> On 04/11/2013 11:58, Torsten wrote:
>> On 04.11.2013 12:18, Richard Crozier wrote:
>>> On 04/11/2013 10:40, Julien Bect wrote:
>

>> I still see this behavior. There are pathces for this issue in
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8091 but the discussion have never been
>> finished. The last patch version truncates the first line of the startup
>> message.
>>
>> Torsten
>>

> hmm, I would actually consider this bug a blocker for the release, as it
> makes the terminal in the gui unusable once it happens unless you resize
> the window.

I thought it was pretty high priority at the time as well, but forgot
about this.  My preference at the time was alignment with the bottom of
the window (just as my mail composer is doing as I type right now).
Torsten added a patch that will align with the top, but always leave
space at the bottom so that a line is never obscured.  Either way is
better than current.

Dan

On 11/04/2013 11:14 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

> On 11/04/2013 06:10 AM, Richard Crozier wrote:
>>

>>> I still see this behavior. There are pathces for this issue in
>>> https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8091 but the discussion have never been
>>> finished. The last patch version truncates the first line of the startup
>>> message.
>>>
>>> Torsten
>>>

>> hmm, I would actually consider this bug a blocker for the release, as it
>> makes the terminal in the gui unusable once it happens unless you resize
>> the window.
>
> I thought it was pretty high priority at the time as well, but forgot
> about this. My preference at the time was alignment with the bottom of
> the window (just as my mail composer is doing as I type right now).
> Torsten added a patch that will align with the top, but always leave
> space at the bottom so that a line is never obscured. Either way is
> better than current.

I applied Dan's patch to align at the bottom.

On 05/11/2013 05:27, John W. Eaton wrote:
> I applied Dan's patch to align at the bottom.
> Thanks,
> jwe

Great, this solves the problem for me, thank you.

However, the first line "GNU Octave, version 3.7.7+" is now truncated
when I run octave (see attachement).

jbScreenshot-2013-11-05-09:47:12.png (60K) Download Attachment

On 11/05/2013 02:52 AM, Julien Bect wrote:
> On 05/11/2013 05:27, John W. Eaton wrote:
>> I applied Dan's patch to align at the bottom.
>> Thanks,
>> jwe
>
> Great, this solves the problem for me, thank you.
>
> However, the first line "GNU Octave, version 3.7.7+" is now truncated
> when I run octave (see attachement).

Yes, that is the issue that Torsten pointed out and why this has been
left unaddressed for a while--no real good solution other than a
slightly more complex routine to align at the top unless the window is
full then align at the bottom.  I made an attempt at the time, but it
didn't seem elegant.

I doubt at this stage near a release we want to try something too
significant, so I propose as a quick solution we could add an extra
whitespace line at the start of the buffer.  Could you try that?  Just
search for "GNU Octave, v" in the source tree and add an extra line and
rebuild.  If that seems to behave OK for now, we'll try to add the line
not in the text string, but at the point at which the GUI creates the
term object.

Dan

On 11/05/2013 09:37 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

> On 11/05/2013 02:52 AM, Julien Bect wrote:
>> On 05/11/2013 05:27, John W. Eaton wrote:
>>> I applied Dan's patch to align at the bottom.
>>> Thanks,
>>> jwe
>>
>> Great, this solves the problem for me, thank you.
>>
>> However, the first line "GNU Octave, version 3.7.7+" is now truncated
>> when I run octave (see attachement).
>
> Yes, that is the issue that Torsten pointed out and why this has been
> left unaddressed for a while--no real good solution other than a
> slightly more complex routine to align at the top unless the window is
> full then align at the bottom. I made an attempt at the time, but it
> didn't seem elegant.
>
> I doubt at this stage near a release we want to try something too
> significant, so I propose as a quick solution we could add an extra
> whitespace line at the start of the buffer. Could you try that? Just
> search for "GNU Octave, v" in the source tree and add an extra line and
> rebuild. If that seems to behave OK for now, we'll try to add the line
> not in the text string, but at the point at which the GUI creates the
> term object.
How about the attached change instead?  It seems to work for me, but I
admit that I don't fully understand the way the layout is supposed to
work in the terminal.

My intent here is to compute the number of full lines and columns that
can be displayed instead of rounding up and computing a number of lines
or columns that is too large to be completely displayed.

jwe

diffs.txt (791 bytes) Download Attachment

On 05/11/2013 15:37, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> I doubt at this stage near a release we want to try something too
> significant, so I propose as a quick solution we could add an extra
> whitespace line at the start of the buffer.  Could you try that?  Just
> search for "GNU Octave, v" in the source tree and add an extra line
> and rebuild.  If that seems to behave OK for now, we'll try to add the
> line not in the text string, but at the point at which the GUI creates
> the term object.

Adding a \n on line 77 of libinterp/version.cc does the trick, yes.

On 11/05/2013 10:33 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/05/2013 09:37 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
>
>         On 11/05/2013 02:52 AM, Julien Bect wrote:
>
>             On 05/11/2013 05:27, John W. Eaton wrote:
>
>                 I applied Dan's patch to align at the bottom.
>                 Thanks,
>                 jwe
>

>             Great, this solves the problem for me, thank you.
>
>             However, the first line "GNU Octave, version 3.7.7+" is now
>             truncated
>             when I run octave (see attachement).
>

>         Yes, that is the issue that Torsten pointed out and why this has
>         been
>         left unaddressed for a while--no real good solution other than a
>         slightly more complex routine to align at the top unless the
>         window is
>         full then align at the bottom. I made an attempt at the time, but it
>         didn't seem elegant.
>
>         I doubt at this stage near a release we want to try something too
>         significant, so I propose as a quick solution we could add an extra
>         whitespace line at the start of the buffer. Could you try that? Just
>         search for "GNU Octave, v" in the source tree and add an extra
>         line and
>         rebuild. If that seems to behave OK for now, we'll try to add
>         the line
>         not in the text string, but at the point at which the GUI
>         creates the
>         term object.
>

>     How about the attached change instead?  It seems to work for me, but
>     I admit that I don't fully understand the way the layout is supposed
>     to work in the terminal.
>
>     My intent here is to compute the number of full lines and columns
>     that can be displayed instead of rounding up and computing a number
>     of lines or columns that is too large to be completely displayed.
>

> I was about to propose something similar, but wanted to test it first
> (however octave doesn't like my mixed Qt4/Qt5 dev environment, so I've
> to start again).
>
> The problem reported should not happen in the first place. The only way
> it can happen is if the number of lines in the viewport is incorrectly
> computed. You can then quickly find the reason in the code: rounding
> instead of flooring. This can be tracked down to this changeset:
>
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/a1bcffac7fa8
>
> I believe the computation of leftUpper[XY] and rightLower[XY] should
> also use qFloor instead of qRound.

I wasn't sure about those.

I pushed the following change to savannah.  Does anyone see a problem
with it?

   http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/c17a3e43956b

Re: Problem with the command window of the GUI

bpabbott
Administrator
On Nov 5, 2013, at 12:50 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 11/05/2013 10:33 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>    On 11/05/2013 09:37 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
>>
>>        On 11/05/2013 02:52 AM, Julien Bect wrote:
>>
>>            On 05/11/2013 05:27, John W. Eaton wrote:
>>
>>                I applied Dan's patch to align at the bottom.
>>                Thanks,
>>                jwe
>>

>>            Great, this solves the problem for me, thank you.
>>
>>            However, the first line "GNU Octave, version 3.7.7+" is now
>>            truncated
>>            when I run octave (see attachement).
>>

>>        Yes, that is the issue that Torsten pointed out and why this has
>>        been
>>        left unaddressed for a while--no real good solution other than a
>>        slightly more complex routine to align at the top unless the
>>        window is
>>        full then align at the bottom. I made an attempt at the time, but it
>>        didn't seem elegant.
>>
>>        I doubt at this stage near a release we want to try something too
>>        significant, so I propose as a quick solution we could add an extra
>>        whitespace line at the start of the buffer. Could you try that? Just
>>        search for "GNU Octave, v" in the source tree and add an extra
>>        line and
>>        rebuild. If that seems to behave OK for now, we'll try to add
>>        the line
>>        not in the text string, but at the point at which the GUI
>>        creates the
>>        term object.
>>

>>    How about the attached change instead?  It seems to work for me, but
>>    I admit that I don't fully understand the way the layout is supposed
>>    to work in the terminal.
>>
>>    My intent here is to compute the number of full lines and columns
>>    that can be displayed instead of rounding up and computing a number
>>    of lines or columns that is too large to be completely displayed.
>>

>> I was about to propose something similar, but wanted to test it first
>> (however octave doesn't like my mixed Qt4/Qt5 dev environment, so I've
>> to start again).
>>
>> The problem reported should not happen in the first place. The only way
>> it can happen is if the number of lines in the viewport is incorrectly
>> computed. You can then quickly find the reason in the code: rounding
>> instead of flooring. This can be tracked down to this changeset:
>>
>> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/a1bcffac7fa8
>>
>> I believe the computation of leftUpper[XY] and rightLower[XY] should
>> also use qFloor instead of qRound.
>
> I wasn't sure about those.
>
> I pushed the following change to savannah.  Does anyone see a problem
> with it?
>
>  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/c17a3e43956b
>
> jwe

Looks good on MacOS X.

Ben

Also fine on Ubuntu 13.04 !

On 11/06/2013 03:42 AM, Julien Bect wrote:

> On 05/11/2013 22:12, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>> I wasn't sure about those.

>> Looks good on MacOS X.
>>
>> Ben
>
> Also fine on Ubuntu 13.04 !

I built from scratch overnight.  Looks fine here too.  A fraction of a
line is not shown when the top text extends beyond the window (it's just
a bigger white space), but this is minor close to a release.

Dan