Problems with mkoctfile in new Octave 3.4.1

Problems with mkoctfile in new Octave 3.4.1

José Luis García Pallero
Hello,
I've compiled the new 3.4.1 Octave version in my Debian GNU/Linux and
I have some problems with mkoctfile.

First of all, the new 3.4.1 installation puts in its bin/ folder
(/usr/local/bin in my installation) the scripts mkoctfile and
octave-config, but earlier versions as 3.4.0 puts the scripts
mkoctfile-3.4.0 and octave-config-3.4.0 and mkoctfile and
octave-config are symbolic links to it. octave-3.4.1 exists and octave
is a symbolic link to it. Is this new behavior a new issue or it is a
bug? For me causes troubles in some Octave Forge packages (as octcdf,
for example) that search mkoctfile-x.x.x scripts.

Other problem with mkoctfile is about some compiler flags. The new
3.4.1 mkoctfile says if I try to compile, for example mkoctfile -Wall
file.cc:

mkoctfile: unrecognized argument -Wall

I've compiled the new version in the same steps as 3.4.0

Thanks

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

Re: Problems with mkoctfile in new Octave 3.4.1

Philip Nienhuis
José Luis García Pallero wrote
Hello,
I've compiled the new 3.4.1 Octave version in my Debian GNU/Linux and
I have some problems with mkoctfile.

First of all, the new 3.4.1 installation puts in its bin/ folder
(/usr/local/bin in my installation) the scripts mkoctfile and
octave-config, but earlier versions as 3.4.0 puts the scripts
mkoctfile-3.4.0 and octave-config-3.4.0 and mkoctfile and
octave-config are symbolic links to it. octave-3.4.1 exists and octave
is a symbolic link to it. Is this new behavior a new issue or it is a
bug? For me causes troubles in some Octave Forge packages (as octcdf,
for example) that search mkoctfile-x.x.x scripts.
I've hit the same issue on Mandriva 2010.2 while installing the octave-forge java package.

Another (related) observation:

octave:11> which mkoctfile
`mkoctfile' is a function from the file /usr/local/share/octave/3.4.1/m/miscellaneous/mkoctfile.m

and in this mkoctfile.m I see the stanza:
  bindir = octave_config_info ("bindir");

  shell_script = fullfile (bindir, sprintf ("mkoctfile-%s", OCTAVE_VERSION));
which AFAICS won't work if there's neither a script nor a link to mkoctfile-3.4.1 to be found in /usr/local/bin

octave:16> octave_config_info ("bindir")
ans = /usr/local/bin
octave:17> OCTAVE_VERSION
ans = 3.4.1

In the ChangeLog, NEWS & README I couldn't spot info on this change.
Is a bug report needed for this?

Philip

On 18-Jun-2011, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

| In the ChangeLog, NEWS & README I couldn't spot info on this change.
| Is a bug report needed for this?

This change was not intentional.  It wouldn't hurt to file a bug
report so that we won't forget to fix it (though I would guess that it
will be noticed by more than a few people...).

2011/6/18 John W. Eaton <[hidden email]>:
> On 18-Jun-2011, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
>
> | In the ChangeLog, NEWS & README I couldn't spot info on this change.
> | Is a bug report needed for this?
>
> This change was not intentional.  It wouldn't hurt to file a bug
> report so that we won't forget to fix it (though I would guess that it
> will be noticed by more than a few people...).

Have you though torelease a new 3.4.2 version with the issue fixed? I
think that the issue is important because lots of Octave Forge
packages can't be compiled in 3.4.1 and mkoctfile has problems as
don't recognize some gcc flags as -Wall, for example

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \

John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 18-Jun-2011, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
>
> | In the ChangeLog, NEWS&  README I couldn't spot info on this change.
> | Is a bug report needed for this?
>
> This change was not intentional.  It wouldn't hurt to file a bug
> report so that we won't forget to fix it (though I would guess that it
> will be noticed by more than a few people...).

It may be a sporadic issue (often hard to track down).
I'll first repeat building & installing Octave-3.4.1 on my other Linux
box, just to be sure.

Philip

John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 18-Jun-2011, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
>
> | In the ChangeLog, NEWS&  README I couldn't spot info on this change.
> | Is a bug report needed for this?
>
> This change was not intentional.  It wouldn't hurt to file a bug
> report so that we won't forget to fix it (though I would guess that it
> will be noticed by more than a few people...).

Done.

BTW, in the bugtracker, 3.4.1 is not yet mentioned in the "version" drop
down list..... so I selected "dev".

Thanks

Philip

Re: Problems with mkoctfile in new Octave 3.4.1

José Luis García Pallero
Hi,
I'm trying to compile the mercurial sources with the last mkoctfile
fix patch and when I execute ./autogen.sh in order to generate the
configure script the proccess is waiting for a long time in the step
"Cloning into gnulib...". I'm waiting since 10 minutes and autogen.sh
is not terminated. The messages of ./autogen.sh is:

topo@geo:~/Desktop/octave$ ./autogen.sh
generating source lists for liboctave/Makefile...
generating doc/interpreter/images.mk...
generating src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/module.mk...
bootstrapping...
build-aux/bootstrap: Bootstrapping from checked-out octave sources...
build-aux/bootstrap: getting gnulib files...
Cloning into gnulib...

Is needed any order previous to ./autogen.sh in order to build Octave
from Mercurial sources? I'm in Debian Sid and I have installed the
autotools insfrastructure (autoconf 2.68, automake 1.11.1, etc)

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

Re: Problems with mkoctfile in new Octave 3.4.1

José Luis García Pallero
El día 19 de junio de 2011 19:14, José Luis García Pallero
<[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to compile the mercurial sources with the last mkoctfile
> fix patch and when I execute ./autogen.sh in order to generate the
> configure script the proccess is waiting for a long time in the step
> "Cloning into gnulib...". I'm waiting since 10 minutes and autogen.sh
> is not terminated. The messages of ./autogen.sh is:
>
> topo@geo:~/Desktop/octave$ ./autogen.sh
> generating source lists for liboctave/Makefile...
> generating doc/interpreter/images.mk...
> generating src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/module.mk...
> bootstrapping...
> build-aux/bootstrap: Bootstrapping from checked-out octave sources...
> build-aux/bootstrap: getting gnulib files...
> Cloning into gnulib...
>
> Is needed any order previous to ./autogen.sh in order to build Octave
> from Mercurial sources? I'm in Debian Sid and I have installed the
> autotools insfrastructure (autoconf 2.68, automake 1.11.1, etc)

Apparently, cloning gnulib from git (autogen.sh try it internally) has
some problems.
At least in Debian Sid, gnulib is present in the repositories so it
can be installed easy and fast. Once gnulib is installed, ./autogen.sh
must be executed with the flags:

--no-git --gnulib-srcdir=/path/to/gnulib

--gnulib-srcdir is mandatory although gnulib is installed on standard path

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \

On 19-Jun-2011, José Luis García Pallero wrote:

| I'm trying to compile the mercurial sources with the last mkoctfile
| fix patch and when I execute ./autogen.sh in order to generate the
| configure script the proccess is waiting for a long time in the step
| "Cloning into gnulib...". I'm waiting since 10 minutes and autogen.sh
| is not terminated. The messages of ./autogen.sh is:
|
| topo@geo:~/Desktop/octave$ ./autogen.sh
| generating source lists for liboctave/Makefile...
| generating doc/interpreter/images.mk...
| generating src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/module.mk...
| bootstrapping...
| build-aux/bootstrap: Bootstrapping from checked-out octave sources...
| build-aux/bootstrap: getting gnulib files...
| Cloning into gnulib...
|
| Is needed any order previous to ./autogen.sh in order to build Octave
| from Mercurial sources? I'm in Debian Sid and I have installed the
| autotools insfrastructure (autoconf 2.68, automake 1.11.1, etc)

One fix is to edit the bootstrap script and change the lines

    shallow=
    git clone -h 2>&1 | grep -- --depth > /dev/null && shallow='--depth 2'
    git clone $shallow git://git.sv.gnu.org/gnulib "$gnulib_path" ||
      cleanup_gnulib

    git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/gnulib "$gnulib_path" || cleanup_gnulib

I reported this problem in April:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2011-04/msg00227.html

Maybe you could report it again, or revive that thread to let someone
know it is still failing?

In any case, if you just want to fix your 3.4.0 installation, there is
really no need to build a complete new version of Octave from scratch.
You can just install 3.4.0 and then cd to $prefix/bin and do

  mv mkoctfile mkoctfile-3.4.0
  ln -s mkoctfile-3.4.0 mkoctfile
  mv octave-config octave-config-3.4.0
  ln -s octave-config-3.4.0 octave-config

Re: Problems with mkoctfile in new Octave 3.4.1

On 19-Jun-2011, José Luis García Pallero wrote:

| Apparently, cloning gnulib from git (autogen.sh try it internally) has
| some problems.
| At least in Debian Sid, gnulib is present in the repositories so it
| can be installed easy and fast. Once gnulib is installed, ./autogen.sh
| must be executed with the flags:
|
| --no-git --gnulib-srcdir=/path/to/gnulib
|
| --gnulib-srcdir is mandatory although gnulib is installed on standard path

Gnulib changes constantly.  How old is the package in Debian Sid?

You can also avoid the problem by not passing the --depth option to
git when cloning from savannah.

El día 19 de junio de 2011 20:15, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> escribió:

> On 19-Jun-2011, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
>
> | Apparently, cloning gnulib from git (autogen.sh try it internally) has
> | some problems.
> | At least in Debian Sid, gnulib is present in the repositories so it
> | can be installed easy and fast. Once gnulib is installed, ./autogen.sh
> | must be executed with the flags:
> |
> | --no-git --gnulib-srcdir=/path/to/gnulib
> |
> | --gnulib-srcdir is mandatory although gnulib is installed on standard path
>
> Gnulib changes constantly.  How old is the package in Debian Sid?

The Debian package in Sid repository says about the version of gnulib:

Version: 20110609+stable-1

Although in the version string appears the word 'stable', the package
is from Sid (unstable) debian repos

> You can also avoid the problem by not passing the --depth option to
> git when cloning from savannah.
>
> jwe

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \

El día 19 de junio de 2011 20:13, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> escribió:

> On 19-Jun-2011, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
>
> | I'm trying to compile the mercurial sources with the last mkoctfile
> | fix patch and when I execute ./autogen.sh in order to generate the
> | configure script the proccess is waiting for a long time in the step
> | "Cloning into gnulib...". I'm waiting since 10 minutes and autogen.sh
> | is not terminated. The messages of ./autogen.sh is:
> |
> | topo@geo:~/Desktop/octave$ ./autogen.sh
> | generating source lists for liboctave/Makefile...
> | generating doc/interpreter/images.mk...
> | generating src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/module.mk...
> | bootstrapping...
> | build-aux/bootstrap: Bootstrapping from checked-out octave sources...
> | build-aux/bootstrap: getting gnulib files...
> | Cloning into gnulib...
> |
> | Is needed any order previous to ./autogen.sh in order to build Octave
> | from Mercurial sources? I'm in Debian Sid and I have installed the
> | autotools insfrastructure (autoconf 2.68, automake 1.11.1, etc)
>
> One fix is to edit the bootstrap script and change the lines
>
>    shallow=
>    git clone -h 2>&1 | grep -- --depth > /dev/null && shallow='--depth 2'
>    git clone $shallow git://git.sv.gnu.org/gnulib "$gnulib_path" ||
>      cleanup_gnulib

>    git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/gnulib "$gnulib_path" || cleanup_gnulib
>
> I reported this problem in April:
>
>  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2011-04/msg00227.html
>
> Maybe you could report it again, or revive that thread to let someone
> know it is still failing?
>
> In any case, if you just want to fix your 3.4.0 installation, there is
> really no need to build a complete new version of Octave from scratch.
> You can just install 3.4.0 and then cd to $prefix/bin and do
>
>  mv mkoctfile mkoctfile-3.4.0
>  ln -s mkoctfile-3.4.0 mkoctfile
>  mv octave-config octave-config-3.4.0
>  ln -s octave-config-3.4.0 octave-config
>
> jwe

Hi,
I've compiled and installed the Mercurial sources (the changeset made
yesterday by jwe,
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/5ee4fc58585f). In the bin/
folder no mkoctfile-x.x.x nor octave-config-x.x.x were created. I've
renamed the files and make symbolic links as jwe suggested and all
runs. But what about the fact that mkoctfile does not recognizes
options as -Wall? It is a bug or a new feature?

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

Re: Problems with mkoctfile in new Octave 3.4.1

Philip Nienhuis
José Luis García Pallero wrote:

> El día 19 de junio de 2011 20:13, John W. Eaton<[hidden email]>  escribió:
>> On 19-Jun-2011, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
>>
>> | I'm trying to compile the mercurial sources with the last mkoctfile
>> | fix patch and when I execute ./autogen.sh in order to generate the
>> | configure script the proccess is waiting for a long time in the step
>> | "Cloning into gnulib...". I'm waiting since 10 minutes and autogen.sh
>> | is not terminated. The messages of ./autogen.sh is:
>> |
>> | topo@geo:~/Desktop/octave$ ./autogen.sh
>> | generating source lists for liboctave/Makefile...
>> | generating doc/interpreter/images.mk...
>> | generating src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/module.mk...
>> | bootstrapping...
>> | build-aux/bootstrap: Bootstrapping from checked-out octave sources...
>> | build-aux/bootstrap: getting gnulib files...
>> | Cloning into gnulib...
>> |
>> | Is needed any order previous to ./autogen.sh in order to build Octave
>> | from Mercurial sources? I'm in Debian Sid and I have installed the
>> | autotools insfrastructure (autoconf 2.68, automake 1.11.1, etc)
>>
>> One fix is to edit the bootstrap script and change the lines
>>
>>     shallow=
>>     git clone -h 2>&1 | grep -- --depth>  /dev/null&&  shallow='--depth 2'
>>     git clone $shallow git://git.sv.gnu.org/gnulib "$gnulib_path" ||
>>       cleanup_gnulib

>>     git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/gnulib "$gnulib_path" || cleanup_gnulib
>>
>> I reported this problem in April:
>>
>>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2011-04/msg00227.html
>>
>> Maybe you could report it again, or revive that thread to let someone
>> know it is still failing?
>>
>> In any case, if you just want to fix your 3.4.0 installation, there is
>> really no need to build a complete new version of Octave from scratch.
>> You can just install 3.4.0 and then cd to $prefix/bin and do
>>
>>   mv mkoctfile mkoctfile-3.4.0
>>   ln -s mkoctfile-3.4.0 mkoctfile
>>   mv octave-config octave-config-3.4.0
>>   ln -s octave-config-3.4.0 octave-config
>>
>> jwe
>
> Hi,
> I've compiled and installed the Mercurial sources (the changeset made
> yesterday by jwe,
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/5ee4fc58585f). In the bin/
> folder no mkoctfile-x.x.x nor octave-config-x.x.x were created. I've
> renamed the files and make symbolic links as jwe suggested and all
> runs. But what about the fact that mkoctfile does not recognizes
> options as -Wall? It is a bug or a new feature?

See this thread:
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2011-June/024017.html

P.

On 20-Jun-2011, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

| José Luis García Pallero wrote:

| >> |
| >> |

| >> One fix is to edit the bootstrap script and change the lines
| >>
| >>     shallow=
| >>     git clone -h 2>&1 | grep -- --depth>  /dev/null&&  shallow='--depth 2'
| >>     git clone $shallow git://git.sv.gnu.org/gnulib "$gnulib_path" ||
| >>       cleanup_gnulib

| >>     git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/gnulib "$gnulib_path" || cleanup_gnulib
| >>
| >> I reported this problem in April:
| >>
| >>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2011-04/msg00227.html
| >>
| >> Maybe you could report it again, or revive that thread to let someone
| >> know it is still failing?
| >>
| >> In any case, if you just want to fix your 3.4.0 installation, there is
| >> really no need to build a complete new version of Octave from scratch.
| >> You can just install 3.4.0 and then cd to $prefix/bin and do
| >>
| >>   mv mkoctfile mkoctfile-3.4.0
| >>   ln -s mkoctfile-3.4.0 mkoctfile
| >>   mv octave-config octave-config-3.4.0
| >>   ln -s octave-config-3.4.0 octave-config
| >>
| >> jwe
| >
| > Hi,
| > I've compiled and installed the Mercurial sources (the changeset made
| > yesterday by jwe,
| > http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/5ee4fc58585f). In the bin/
| > folder no mkoctfile-x.x.x nor octave-config-x.x.x were created. I've
| > renamed the files and make symbolic links as jwe suggested and all
| > runs. But what about the fact that mkoctfile does not recognizes
| > options as -Wall? It is a bug or a new feature?
|
| See this thread:
| https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2011-June/024017.html

Both of these problems should be fixed now.

When you built from the mercurial sources, did you build the stable
branch?  I suspect that you just built the default branch, and that
they changes which were made on the stable branch had not yet been
merged to the default branch at the time when you last updated your
copy of the sources.

El día 20 de junio de 2011 19:09, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Both of these problems should be fixed now.
>
> When you built from the mercurial sources, did you build the stable
> branch?  I suspect that you just built the default branch, and that
> they changes which were made on the stable branch had not yet been
> merged to the default branch at the time when you last updated your
> copy of the sources.
>
> jwe

I check out the sources via:

hg clone http://www.octave.org/hg/octave

If I execute hg tip:

changeset:   12760:e8fe03bfc051
branch:      stable
tag:         tip
parent:      12758:ecd1364a2700
user:        John W. Eaton <[hidden email]>
date:        Mon Jun 20 12:52:28 2011 -0400
summary:     allow concatenation of scalar structures with []

Yes, the branch is stable, but the changeset is
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/e8fe03bfc051 that is the
last one now un the hg web

How can I check out the correct branch?

Thanks

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \

On 20-Jun-2011, José Luis García Pallero wrote:

| El día 20 de junio de 2011 19:09, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> escribió:
| > Both of these problems should be fixed now.
| >
| > When you built from the mercurial sources, did you build the stable
| > branch?  I suspect that you just built the default branch, and that
| > they changes which were made on the stable branch had not yet been
| > merged to the default branch at the time when you last updated your
| > copy of the sources.
| >
| > jwe
| >

| I check out the sources via:
|
| hg clone http://www.octave.org/hg/octave
|
| If I execute hg tip:
|
| changeset:   12760:e8fe03bfc051
| branch:      stable
| tag:         tip
| parent:      12758:ecd1364a2700
| user:        John W. Eaton <[hidden email]>
| date:        Mon Jun 20 12:52:28 2011 -0400
| summary:     allow concatenation of scalar structures with []
|
| Yes, the branch is stable, but the changeset is
| http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/e8fe03bfc051 that is the
| last one now un the hg web
|
| How can I check out the correct branch?

After you check out the sources, do

  hg update stable

The "tip" is just the latest version in the archive.  It's not
necessarily the latest changeset on the branch that is in your current
working directory.  The command

  hg heads

will show you the current heads of all the branches.  If you want to
know where you are on the branch you are currently working in, do
something like

  hg heads $(hg branch)

(bash syntax).

El día 20 de junio de 2011 19:28, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> escribió:

> On 20-Jun-2011, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
>
> | El día 20 de junio de 2011 19:09, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> escribió:
> | > Both of these problems should be fixed now.
> | >
> | > When you built from the mercurial sources, did you build the stable
> | > branch?  I suspect that you just built the default branch, and that
> | > they changes which were made on the stable branch had not yet been
> | > merged to the default branch at the time when you last updated your
> | > copy of the sources.
> | >
> | > jwe
> | >

> | I check out the sources via:
> |
> | hg clone http://www.octave.org/hg/octave
> |
> | If I execute hg tip:
> |
> | changeset:   12760:e8fe03bfc051
> | branch:      stable
> | tag:         tip
> | parent:      12758:ecd1364a2700
> | user:        John W. Eaton <[hidden email]>
> | date:        Mon Jun 20 12:52:28 2011 -0400
> | summary:     allow concatenation of scalar structures with []
> |
> | Yes, the branch is stable, but the changeset is
> | http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/e8fe03bfc051 that is the
> | last one now un the hg web
> |
> | How can I check out the correct branch?
>
> After you check out the sources, do
>
>  hg update stable
>
> The "tip" is just the latest version in the archive.  It's not
> necessarily the latest changeset on the branch that is in your current
> working directory.  The command
>
>  hg heads
>
> will show you the current heads of all the branches.  If you want to
> know where you are on the branch you are currently working in, do
> something like
>
>  hg heads $(hg branch)
>
> (bash syntax).
>
> jwe