Publish

JuanPi
Hi all,

Trying the function publish in 4.2.1 I get

error: 'create_output' undefined near line 375 column 17
error: called from
    publish at line 375 column 15

Any ideas?

I was also wondering whether Kai's publish is already integrated in
4.2.1, if not, where do we get Kai's publish?

--
JuanPi Carbajal
https://goo.gl/ayiJzi

Re: Publish

JuanPi
On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 3:19 PM, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Trying the function publish in 4.2.1 I get
>
> error: 'create_output' undefined near line 375 column 17
> error: called from
>     publish at line 375 column 15
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I was also wondering whether Kai's publish is already integrated in
> 4.2.1, if not, where do we get Kai's publish?
>
> --
> JuanPi Carbajal
> https://goo.gl/ayiJzi
> Public GnuPG key: 9C5B72BF
> -----
> "Why is thought, being a secretion of the brain, more wonderful than
> gravity, a property of matter?"
> - C. Darwin

it seems 4.2.1 is having troubles with subfunctions, because
create_output is there...

--
JuanPi Carbajal
https://goo.gl/ayiJzi
"Why is thought, being a secretion of the brain, more wonderful than
gravity, a property of matter?"
- C. Darwin

Re: Publish

siko1056
JuanPi wrote
On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 3:19 PM, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Trying the function publish in 4.2.1 I get
>
> error: 'create_output' undefined near line 375 column 17
> error: called from
>     publish at line 375 column 15
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I was also wondering whether Kai's publish is already integrated in
> 4.2.1, if not, where do we get Kai's publish?
>
> --
> JuanPi Carbajal
> https://goo.gl/ayiJzi
> Public GnuPG key: 9C5B72BF
> -----
> "Why is thought, being a secretion of the brain, more wonderful than
> gravity, a property of matter?"
> - C. Darwin

it seems 4.2.1 is having troubles with subfunctions, because
create_output is there...

--
JuanPi Carbajal
https://goo.gl/ayiJzi
Public GnuPG key: 9C5B72BF
-----
"Why is thought, being a secretion of the brain, more wonderful than
gravity, a property of matter?"
- C. Darwin
Hi JuanPi,

Using a self-compiled Octave 4.2.1 on Linux, trying to publish this script https://github.com/siko1056/OctConf2017/blob/master/demo2/intro.m works as normal calling:

>> publish ("intro.m")
ans = /workspace/OctConf2017/demo2/html/intro.html

Also subfunctions don't bother my 4.2.1 version... did you modify anything about publish or Octave? I'm very interested about getting this to work ;-)

Kai.

Re: Publish

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 5:40 PM, siko1056 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> JuanPi wrote
>> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 3:19 PM, JuanPi &lt;
>
>> ajuanpi@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Trying the function publish in 4.2.1 I get
>>>
>>> error: 'create_output' undefined near line 375 column 17
>>> error: called from
>>>     publish at line 375 column 15
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> I was also wondering whether Kai's publish is already integrated in
>>> 4.2.1, if not, where do we get Kai's publish?
>>>
>>> --
>>> JuanPi Carbajal
>>> https://goo.gl/ayiJzi
>>> Public GnuPG key: 9C5B72BF
>>> -----
>>> "Why is thought, being a secretion of the brain, more wonderful than
>>> gravity, a property of matter?"
>>> - C. Darwin
>>
>> it seems 4.2.1 is having troubles with subfunctions, because
>> create_output is there...
>>
>> --
>> JuanPi Carbajal
>> https://goo.gl/ayiJzi
>> Public GnuPG key: 9C5B72BF
>> -----
>> "Why is thought, being a secretion of the brain, more wonderful than
>> gravity, a property of matter?"
>> - C. Darwin
>
> Hi JuanPi,
>
> Using a self-compiled Octave 4.2.1 on Linux, trying to publish this script
> https://github.com/siko1056/OctConf2017/blob/master/demo2/intro.m works as
> normal calling:
>
>>> publish ("intro.m")
> ans = /workspace/OctConf2017/demo2/html/intro.html
>
> Also subfunctions don't bother my 4.2.1 version... did you modify anything
> about publish or Octave? I'm very interested about getting this to work ;-)
>
> Kai.

ok, found it!

The issue is that the script being published cannot call

clear all

because it will delete the subfunction.

Try it out

## A simple example
#
# This will break publish
#

clear all
disp("Sad...")

I did not find this documented, sorry. But I guess the script being
published should be run in its own workspace... no idea how to do that
or publish will have to comment out all the clear all and clear functions...

Also, need help with the markdown output or you already have it?

Re: Publish

siko1056
Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 5:40 PM, siko1056 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> JuanPi wrote
>> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 3:19 PM, JuanPi <
>
>> ajuanpi@
>
>> > wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Trying the function publish in 4.2.1 I get
>>>
>>> error: 'create_output' undefined near line 375 column 17
>>> error: called from
>>>     publish at line 375 column 15
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> I was also wondering whether Kai's publish is already integrated in
>>> 4.2.1, if not, where do we get Kai's publish?
>>>
>>> --
>>> JuanPi Carbajal
>>> https://goo.gl/ayiJzi
>>> Public GnuPG key: 9C5B72BF
>>> -----
>>> "Why is thought, being a secretion of the brain, more wonderful than
>>> gravity, a property of matter?"
>>> - C. Darwin
>>
>> it seems 4.2.1 is having troubles with subfunctions, because
>> create_output is there...
>>
>> --
>> JuanPi Carbajal
>> https://goo.gl/ayiJzi
>> Public GnuPG key: 9C5B72BF
>> -----
>> "Why is thought, being a secretion of the brain, more wonderful than
>> gravity, a property of matter?"
>> - C. Darwin
>
> Hi JuanPi,
>
> Using a self-compiled Octave 4.2.1 on Linux, trying to publish this script
> https://github.com/siko1056/OctConf2017/blob/master/demo2/intro.m works as
> normal calling:
>
>>> publish ("intro.m")
> ans = /workspace/OctConf2017/demo2/html/intro.html
>
> Also subfunctions don't bother my 4.2.1 version... did you modify anything
> about publish or Octave? I'm very interested about getting this to work ;-)
>
> Kai.

ok, found it!

The issue is that the script being published cannot call

clear all

because it will delete the subfunction.

Try it out

## A simple example
#
# This will break publish
#

clear all
disp("Sad...")

I did not find this documented, sorry. But I guess the script being
published should be run in its own workspace... no idea how to do that
or publish will have to comment out all the clear all and clear functions...

Also, need help with the markdown output or you already have it?
Thank you for pointing me to this issue. For me, this is really worth a bug report! A fix (hack) would be to add a subfunction called clear at the very end of the file, just before the tests start at line: "## Bad function calls", see patch attached.

I think at least a warning should be issued, to inform the publisher, that he should try to avoid using clear as long as bug https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?35881 is open.

The other question about markdown support, that feature will be present in the next release, currently dev or 4.3.0+. An almost ready template is available from here: https://github.com/siko1056/OctConf2017/blob/master/demo2/__publish_jekyll_markdown_output__.m (One just needs to strip the Jekyll part).

Best,
Kai

publish_clear.patch

Re: Publish

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:50 AM, siko1056 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
>> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 5:40 PM, siko1056 &lt;
>
>> k.ohlhus@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>> JuanPi wrote

>>> Hi JuanPi,
>>>
>>> Using a self-compiled Octave 4.2.1 on Linux, trying to publish this
>>> script
>>> https://github.com/siko1056/OctConf2017/blob/master/demo2/intro.m works
>>> as
>>> normal calling:

>>> ans = /workspace/OctConf2017/demo2/html/intro.html
>>>
>>> Also subfunctions don't bother my 4.2.1 version... did you modify
>>> anything
>>> about publish or Octave? I'm very interested about getting this to work
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>> Kai.
>>>

>>> --
>>
>> ok, found it!
>>
>> The issue is that the script being published cannot call
>>
>> clear all
>>
>> because it will delete the subfunction.
>>
>> Try it out
>>
>> ## A simple example
>> #
>> # This will break publish
>> #
>>
>> clear all
>> disp("Sad...")
>>
>> I did not find this documented, sorry. But I guess the script being
>> published should be run in its own workspace... no idea how to do that
>> or publish will have to comment out all the clear all and clear
>> functions...
>>
>> Also, need help with the markdown output or you already have it?
>
> Thank you for pointing me to this issue. For me, this is really worth a bug
> report! A fix (hack) would be to add a subfunction called clear at the very
> end of the file, just before the tests start at line: "## Bad function
> calls", see patch attached.
>
> I think at least a warning should be issued, to inform the publisher, that
> he should try to avoid using clear as long as bug
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?35881 is open.
>
> The other question about markdown support, that feature will be present in
> the next release, currently dev or 4.3.0+. An almost ready template is
> available from here:
> https://github.com/siko1056/OctConf2017/blob/master/demo2/__publish_jekyll_markdown_output__.m
> (One just needs to strip the Jekyll part).
>
> Best,
> Kai
>
> publish_clear.patch
> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4683437/publish_clear.patch>

Thanks Kai,

Ok, I opened a report.

If the hack works it looks fine as a temporary solution, maybe I would
link to the clear all bug, so that users detect faster when that bug
is closed.

Re: Publish

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:50 AM, siko1056 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
>>> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 5:40 PM, siko1056 &lt;
>>
>>> k.ohlhus@

>>> ok, found it!
>>>
>>> The issue is that the script being published cannot call
>>>
>>> clear all
>>>
>>> because it will delete the subfunction.
>>>
>>> Try it out
>>>
>>> ## A simple example
>>> #
>>> # This will break publish
>>> #
>>>
>>> clear all
>>> disp("Sad...")
>>>
>>> I did not find this documented, sorry. But I guess the script being
>>> published should be run in its own workspace... no idea how to do that
>>> or publish will have to comment out all the clear all and clear
>>> functions...
>>>
>>> Also, need help with the markdown output or you already have it?
>>
>> Thank you for pointing me to this issue. For me, this is really worth a bug
>> report! A fix (hack) would be to add a subfunction called clear at the very
>> end of the file, just before the tests start at line: "## Bad function
>> calls", see patch attached.
>>
>> I think at least a warning should be issued, to inform the publisher, that
>> he should try to avoid using clear as long as bug
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?35881 is open.
>>
>> The other question about markdown support, that feature will be present in
>> the next release, currently dev or 4.3.0+. An almost ready template is
>> available from here:
>> https://github.com/siko1056/OctConf2017/blob/master/demo2/__publish_jekyll_markdown_output__.m
>> (One just needs to strip the Jekyll part).
>>
>> Best,
>> Kai
>>
>> publish_clear.patch
>> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4683437/publish_clear.patch>
>>

>> --
>
> Thanks Kai,
>
> Ok, I opened a report.
>
> If the hack works it looks fine as a temporary solution, maybe I would
> link to the clear all bug, so that users detect faster when that bug
> is closed.

Regarding the markdown, great! Indeed, I was hoping I could use it
together with Jekyll. Thanks.
Let me know if you need testing.