Publishing code dual-licensed

Martin Vogel
Dear all,

sorry, if this has been asked and answered before:

I have some MATLAB/Octave code that others might find useful (I think),
so publishing on MEX is an option. Yet, I do not want that step
preventing me from re-releasing my code to, e.g., Agora, under the
(L)GPL. As it is my code, my understanding is that I can release it
twice to different places, under different licenses, right?

Any opinions on this?

Many thanks
Martin

Re: Publishing code dual-licensed

Juan Pablo Carbajal
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Martin Vogel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> sorry, if this has been asked and answered before:
>
> I have some MATLAB/Octave code that others might find useful (I think), so
> publishing on MEX is an option. Yet, I do not want that step preventing me
> from re-releasing my code to, e.g., Agora, under the (L)GPL. As it is my
> code, my understanding is that I can release it twice to different places,
> under different licenses, right?
>
> Any opinions on this?
>
> Many thanks
> Martin

The usual disclaimer runs like: I ma not a lawyer but ...

If you are still the copyright holder. that is you have NOT given up
your ownership, then you ca re-release the code under any license you
want.... is still yours!

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----

Re: Publishing code dual-licensed

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 27 September 2012 07:34, Martin Vogel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have some MATLAB/Octave code that others might find useful (I think), so
> publishing on MEX is an option.

What does MEX have to do with your license choice?

> Yet, I do not want that step preventing me from re-releasing my code
> to, e.g., Agora, under the (L)GPL. As it is my code, my
> understanding is that I can release it twice to different places,
> under different licenses, right?

Yes, you can do this. Why do you think you need to?

Re: Publishing code dual-licensed

Martin Vogel
Hi Jordi,

 > What does MEX have to do with your license choice?

I meant the Matlab file exchange, sorry for the confusion.

IIRC, TMW enforce to release the code under a BSD sort of license they
have chosen. And, for downloaders, they seem to forbid usage of that
code outside of MATLAB. I may be wrong on this, though.

> Yes, you can do this. Why do you think you need to?

I just want to make sure that the code is not 'locked in' on the file
exchange server, with no chance to also release it somewhere else.

On 27 September 2012 08:41, Martin Vogel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Jordi,
>

>> What does MEX have to do with your license choice?
>
> I meant the Matlab file exchange, sorry for the confusion.

Ah, right.

The issue is just that if the only way for us to get your code is
through the Mathworks site, then we cannot use it in Octave without
violating the Mathworks' terms of service. If it's there and on your
own site or any other site, we can just get it from that other
location no problem.

You can use the BSD-style license for both if it's simpler for you. We
prefer the GPL in Octave, but a BSD-style license is fine too. The
only problem is if your code is only available from the Mathworks'
site.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Publishing code dual-licensed

Laurent Hoeltgen
On 27/09/12 14:57, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> On 27 September 2012 08:41, Martin Vogel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Jordi,
>>

>>> What does MEX have to do with your license choice?
>>
>> I meant the Matlab file exchange, sorry for the confusion.
>
> Ah, right.
>
> The issue is just that if the only way for us to get your code is
> through the Mathworks site, then we cannot use it in Octave without
> violating the Mathworks' terms of service. If it's there and on your
> own site or any other site, we can just get it from that other
> location no problem.
>
> You can use the BSD-style license for both if it's simpler for you. We
> prefer the GPL in Octave, but a BSD-style license is fine too. The
> only problem is if your code is only available from the Mathworks'
> site.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

I would suggest to completely avoid the hassle with the TMW file
exchange restrictions and put the code on some site like github,
sourceforge, .... In that case you are completely free to put whatever
license you want on your code and you get the version control as a nice
side effect.

Regards,
Laurent

On 27 September 2012 10:20, Laurent Hoeltgen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would suggest to completely avoid the hassle with the TMW file exchange
> restrictions and put the code on some site like github, sourceforge, .... In
> that case you are completely free to put whatever license you want on your
> code and you get the version control as a nice side effect.

A lot of people don't want to learn version control. They see it as an
irrelevant task unrelated to getting work done. This is why we're
working on http://agora.octave.org

- Jordi G. H.

On 27 September 2012 10:31, Martin Vogel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, ok, thanks. It will take some time till the code is in publishable
> shape,

Eh, publish whatever state you have it in. Everyone's code sucks, your
code, my code, jwe's code, it all sucks. If you wait for your code to
please everyone before you publish it, it will never be published.

> but is the agora site functional?

Not yet. It does snippets right now, but not much else. Hopefully
within a month or so.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Publishing code dual-licensed

Martin Vogel
Thanks Laurent, I'll think about it.

Laurent Hoeltgen <[hidden email]> schrieb:
[...]

Help-octave mailing list
Help-octave@octave! .org

On 27/09/12 16:30, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> On 27 September 2012 10:20, Laurent Hoeltgen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I would suggest to completely avoid the hassle with the TMW file exchange
>> restrictions and put the code on some site like github, sourceforge, .... In
>> that case you are completely free to put whatever license you want on your
>> code and you get the version control as a nice side effect.
>
> A lot of people don't want to learn version control. They see it as an
> irrelevant task unrelated to getting work done. This is why we're
> working on http://agora.octave.org
>
> - Jordi G. H.

They see it as irrelevant until they notice that their "copy/paste
folders with code" method has resulted in a complete mess and that they
are unable to restore a previously working version of the code... I know
people who can't reproduce their research results from 6 months ago
because they simply can't find the version of the code that they used to
process the data...

It takes a bit of discipline and time to get used to version control,
but in my opinion it's completely worth the effort.

Laurent

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Martin Vogel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Laurent, I'll think about it.
>

> Laurent Hoeltgen <[hidden email]> schrieb:

>>> Ah, right.
>>>
>>> The issue is just that if the only way for us to get your code is
>>> through the Mathworks site, then we cannot use it in Octave without
>>> violating the Mathworks' terms of service. If it's there and on y!
>>>  our
>>>
>>> own site or any other site, we can just get it from that other
>>> location no problem.
>>>
>>> You can use the BSD-style license for both if it's simpler for you. We
>>> prefer the GPL in Octave, but a BSD-style license is fine too. The
>>> only problem is if your code is only available from the Mathworks'
>>> site.
>>>
>>> - Jordi G. H.
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I would suggest to completely avoid the hassle with the TMW file
>> exchange restrictions and put the code on some site like github,
>> sourceforge, .... In that case you are completely free to put whatever
>> license you want on your code and you get the version control as a nice
>> side effect.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Laurent

Hi Martin,
Please do not answer the e-mails on the top, scroll down and answer
the e-mail at the bottom, this helps people reading the thread online.

Second, you can use the Features request forum to update files until
Agora is up and running. We have nice experiences there, code getting
nice really fast. Just update your current code with a proper GPL
compatible license and people will start looking at it and help you
improving it.
https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/feature-requests/

There is some more help here
http://wiki.octave.org/Contributing_to_the_development_of_packages/modules