Qscintilla2.dll not found, but is available

Qscintilla2.dll not found, but is available

Rik-4
11/13/13

All,

When trying to run octave.exe under MinGW I get a warning message that the
Qscintilla2.dll is not available.  Under UNIX you could resolve this by
setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the directory where qscintilla2.dll is
located.  I don't know if that is possible in Windows so I just copied the
dll file into the bin directory and then octave.exe works.  All of the
other installed dlls under MXE seem to have installed themselves in the
bin/ directory and additionally into the lib directory.  Should we, or the
Qscintilla2.mk file, also be installing the dll to the bin directory?

--Rik

Re: Qscintilla2.dll not found, but is available

On 11/13/2013 01:55 PM, Rik wrote:

> 11/13/13
>
> All,
>
> When trying to run octave.exe under MinGW I get a warning message that the
> Qscintilla2.dll is not available.  Under UNIX you could resolve this by
> setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the directory where qscintilla2.dll is
> located.  I don't know if that is possible in Windows so I just copied the
> dll file into the bin directory and then octave.exe works.  All of the
> other installed dlls under MXE seem to have installed themselves in the
> bin/ directory and additionally into the lib directory.  Should we, or the
> Qscintilla2.mk file, also be installing the dll to the bin directory?

The .dll files belong in the bin directory along with the Octave
executable or somewhere in the PATH.  They don't need to be in the lib
directory.

The .dll.a or .a files belong in the lib directory.

Re: Qscintilla2.dll not found, but is available

Michael Goffioul

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
11/13/13

All,

When trying to run octave.exe under MinGW I get a warning message that the
Qscintilla2.dll is not available.  Under UNIX you could resolve this by
setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the directory where qscintilla2.dll is
located.  I don't know if that is possible in Windows so I just copied the
dll file into the bin directory and then octave.exe works.  All of the
other installed dlls under MXE seem to have installed themselves in the
bin/ directory and additionally into the lib directory.  Should we, or the
Qscintilla2.mk file, also be installing the dll to the bin directory?

This should already be the case:

Michael.

On 11/13/2013 11:54 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
11/13/13

All,

When trying to run octave.exe under MinGW I get a warning message that the
Qscintilla2.dll is not available.  Under UNIX you could resolve this by
setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the directory where qscintilla2.dll is
located.  I don't know if that is possible in Windows so I just copied the
dll file into the bin directory and then octave.exe works.  All of the
other installed dlls under MXE seem to have installed themselves in the
bin/ directory and additionally into the lib directory.  Should we, or the
Qscintilla2.mk file, also be installing the dll to the bin directory?

This should already be the case:

Michael.

Problem was that Qt doesn't support DESTDIR, wants INSTALL_ROOT to be used instead.  I patched it and it works fine now.

--Rik

On 11/13/2013 11:02 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 11/13/2013 01:55 PM, Rik wrote:
>> 11/13/13
>>
>> All,
>>
>> When trying to run octave.exe under MinGW I get a warning message that the
>> Qscintilla2.dll is not available.  Under UNIX you could resolve this by
>> setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the directory where qscintilla2.dll is
>> located.  I don't know if that is possible in Windows so I just copied the
>> dll file into the bin directory and then octave.exe works.  All of the
>> other installed dlls under MXE seem to have installed themselves in the
>> bin/ directory and additionally into the lib directory.  Should we, or the
>> Qscintilla2.mk file, also be installing the dll to the bin directory?
>
> The .dll files belong in the bin directory along with the Octave
> executable or somewhere in the PATH.  They don't need to be in the lib
> directory.
>
> The .dll.a or .a files belong in the lib directory.

Apparently the CMAKE builds have trouble with this.  I made changes to
qscintilla, qt, and gl2ps so that these packages no longer spread their dll
files around bin and lib directories.

--Rik

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/13/2013 11:02 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 11/13/2013 01:55 PM, Rik wrote:
>> 11/13/13
>>
>> All,
>>
>> When trying to run octave.exe under MinGW I get a warning message that the
>> Qscintilla2.dll is not available.  Under UNIX you could resolve this by
>> setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the directory where qscintilla2.dll is
>> located.  I don't know if that is possible in Windows so I just copied the
>> dll file into the bin directory and then octave.exe works.  All of the
>> other installed dlls under MXE seem to have installed themselves in the
>> bin/ directory and additionally into the lib directory.  Should we, or the
>> Qscintilla2.mk file, also be installing the dll to the bin directory?
>
> The .dll files belong in the bin directory along with the Octave
> executable or somewhere in the PATH.  They don't need to be in the lib
> directory.
>
> The .dll.a or .a files belong in the lib directory.

Apparently the CMAKE builds have trouble with this.  I made changes to
qscintilla, qt, and gl2ps so that these packages no longer spread their dll
files around bin and lib directories.

The change in gl2ps will obviously break MSVC compilation, as it's redundant with the msvc-specific patch (hence it'll fail to apply it). I'll fix that shortly.

Michael.

On 11/14/2013 08:48 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/13/2013 11:02 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 11/13/2013 01:55 PM, Rik wrote:
>> 11/13/13
>>
>> All,
>>
>> When trying to run octave.exe under MinGW I get a warning message that the
>> Qscintilla2.dll is not available.  Under UNIX you could resolve this by
>> setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the directory where qscintilla2.dll is
>> located.  I don't know if that is possible in Windows so I just copied the
>> dll file into the bin directory and then octave.exe works.  All of the
>> other installed dlls under MXE seem to have installed themselves in the
>> bin/ directory and additionally into the lib directory.  Should we, or the
>> Qscintilla2.mk file, also be installing the dll to the bin directory?
>
> The .dll files belong in the bin directory along with the Octave
> executable or somewhere in the PATH.  They don't need to be in the lib
> directory.
>
> The .dll.a or .a files belong in the lib directory.

Apparently the CMAKE builds have trouble with this.  I made changes to
qscintilla, qt, and gl2ps so that these packages no longer spread their dll
files around bin and lib directories.

The change in gl2ps will obviously break MSVC compilation, as it's redundant with the msvc-specific patch (hence it'll fail to apply it). I'll fix that shortly.
Thanks.  I saw the msvc-specific patch was doing something similar, but I'm not familiar enough with MXE to know whether it would pick just the more specific patch (COMPILER-OS) or try and apply both.

--Rik

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/14/2013 08:48 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/13/2013 11:02 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 11/13/2013 01:55 PM, Rik wrote:
>> 11/13/13
>>
>> All,
>>
>> When trying to run octave.exe under MinGW I get a warning message that the
>> Qscintilla2.dll is not available.  Under UNIX you could resolve this by
>> setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the directory where qscintilla2.dll is
>> located.  I don't know if that is possible in Windows so I just copied the
>> dll file into the bin directory and then octave.exe works.  All of the
>> other installed dlls under MXE seem to have installed themselves in the
>> bin/ directory and additionally into the lib directory.  Should we, or the
>> Qscintilla2.mk file, also be installing the dll to the bin directory?
>
> The .dll files belong in the bin directory along with the Octave
> executable or somewhere in the PATH.  They don't need to be in the lib
> directory.
>
> The .dll.a or .a files belong in the lib directory.

Apparently the CMAKE builds have trouble with this.  I made changes to
qscintilla, qt, and gl2ps so that these packages no longer spread their dll
files around bin and lib directories.

The change in gl2ps will obviously break MSVC compilation, as it's redundant with the msvc-specific patch (hence it'll fail to apply it). I'll fix that shortly.
Thanks.  I saw the msvc-specific patch was doing something similar, but I'm not familiar enough with MXE to know whether it would pick just the more specific patch (COMPILER-OS) or try and apply both.

Michael.

Re: Qscintilla2.dll not found, but is available

inertialwave
The .dll files belong in the bin directory along with the Octave
executable or somewhere in the PATH.  They don't need to be in the lib
directory.

The .dll.a or .a files belong in the lib directory.

jwe

Your assertion does not appear true for dll files required by my_app.exe when running alone it in its own directory (without its dlls) using an Octave system command, e.g.,   output =system("my_app.exe")  does not return. My Octave installation is at C:\Octave\Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2.

Other programs with similar system commands, e.g. Windows/cmd or Python/os.system (Matlab/system?) can successfully run my_app.exe sitting alone its own directory.

Is there a similar possibility for Octave/system ?