QtOctave probably EOL

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
I meant to mention this a while ago: QtOctave has been orphaned by its
original creator, Pedro Lucas. I mentioned to him how Quint could be
its successor, integrated into the Octave sources, and he welcomed the
idea. There a number of collaborators of Pedro Lucas who seem
interested in working on it and are in the process of learning Qt to
do so. This is happening in the Spanish language QtOctave mailing
list. Now that a GUI is a release goal of 3.6 (or should we push that
to 4.0?), would it be ok to invite them to participate in this
discussion in the main maintainers mailing list?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: QtOctave probably EOL

Richard Crozier
 On 13/07/2011 02:05, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> I meant to mention this a while ago: QtOctave has been orphaned by its
> original creator, Pedro Lucas. I mentioned to him how Quint could be
> its successor, integrated into the Octave sources, and he welcomed the
> idea. There a number of collaborators of Pedro Lucas who seem
> interested in working on it and are in the process of learning Qt to
> do so. This is happening in the Spanish language QtOctave mailing
> list. Now that a GUI is a release goal of 3.6 (or should we push that
> to 4.0?), would it be ok to invite them to participate in this
> discussion in the main maintainers mailing list?
>
> - Jordi G. H.

I did some work on QtOctave, and as far as I could tell, was the last
person to do so, at least I was the last person to check anything into
the repository. Noone else checked anything in the whole time I worked
on it.

Learning Qt is easy from my experience.

Would working on Quint require building octave and dependencies from
scratch? Contributing to QtOctave was easy as it was just a small
program that was easy to build on any platform using cmake. I developed
in windows for instance.

Richard (crobar in the QtOctave repo)

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Fwd: QtOctave probably EOL

jacob.dawid

I have made only little progress on Quint, but I even got patches and test reports from GNU/Linux users who directly mailed to me. For convenience, I suggest that we talk about Quint internally, but I renamed the window title to Octave and added the official Octave logo. I had to remove the background transparency though, because it looked weird in Unity.

It won't be that easy to make a Windows build, because we are emulating a terminal to support readline. If anyone wants to contribute on that he may raise his hand, but I doubt that anyone is willing to do that.

For now we have to clean up code. The view part ot the terminal emulation for example draws itself with primitive drawing routines, which is not only error-prone but also quit ugly compared to the remaining GUI. I also bet there is another tons of code that we can simply throw out.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.

Whitespace - the most ink saving programming language: http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/index.php .