Question on editor startup time

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
Dear listmembers,
I just recently compiled octave 5.1.0 on my computer and started working with
it. Initially I thought that the editor would be broken because if I tried to
open a file the cursor rotated apparently "forever".
By accident I left it rotating for a while, then everything started to work as
expected.
That said, restarting octave and then trying to open a file takes about 2
minutes(!!!) to complete. After that I can use the editor as normal - until I
restart octave. Anyone having any idea why I have to wait 2 minutes to come to
an usable interface? I assumed that octave is searching through the entire
directory - but I cannot tell that for sure.
Any hint to probably circumvent this would be very much appreciated - as this
behavior is really annoying.
Thank you
take care

Dieter

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza                    76131 Karlsruhe

Re: Question on editor startup time

Doug Stewart-4

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020, 4:25 PM Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Do
You have a large network folder ?

Re: Question on editor startup time

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
Hello Doug,
I have a "normal" home directory that - of course - grew over the decades so
to speak. No network folder but I am sure there exist a decent amount of files
and subdirectories within.
I tried to get information through "gdb" but in vain; gdb quits tracing after
a fork and I do not know how to circumvent this.
Thank you and take care

Dieter Jurzitza