Quick Question

Michael Dearing
Your attention is drawn to the warning notice at the end of this message.

Hi,

I have a quick question, we want to install this software in an enterprise setting.  Is the software still free for an enterprise setting?

Thanks

Michael Dearing

Support Analyst

IT Department

Tel: (441) 295 5278

Direct: (441) 278 0306

fax: (441) 292 7471

email: [hidden email]

website: http://www.bma.bm

________________________________

The information in this Internet e-mail and any attachment is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended addressee(s) only.

Access by any other person is not authorized. The unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this email, any attachment or any information contained therein, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this Internet e-mail and its attachment(s) from your computer system and notify the sender immediately.

The Bermuda Monetary Authority

43 Victoria Street, Hamilton HM 12

Telephone: 441-295-5278

Fax: 441-292-7471

The information in this Internet e-mail and any attachment is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended addressee(s) only. Access by any other person is not authorized. The unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this email, any attachment or any information contained therein, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this Internet e-mail and its attachment(s) from your computer system and notify the sender immediately.

The Bermuda Monetary Authority
43 Victoria Street, Hamilton HM 12
Telephone: 441-295-5278
Fax: 441-292-7471
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Quick Question

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 19 December 2012 12:38, Michael Dearing <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a quick question, we want to install this software in an enterprise
> setting.  Is the software still free for an enterprise setting?

I would like to answer, but...

> The information in this Internet e-mail and any attachment is confidential
> and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended addressee(s) only.

Can you please confirm I'm the intended addressee(s)? If not, I must
delete your email.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Quick Question

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 19 December 2012 12:38, Michael Dearing <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a quick question, we want to install this software in an enterprise
> setting.  Is the software still free for an enterprise setting?

Octave is free software. Once you obtain it, you can do whatever you
want with it.

However, we want to make sure anyone who bases work on Octave also
passes on the same freedoms that Octave has granted. Therefore, Octave
is copylefted under the GPL. If you build a derivative work from
Octave and you distribute your work, please be aware of your GPL
obligations:

    http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#Licensing_issues
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.

Re: Quick Question

StandardOctaveUser
now, technically,

There is nothing wrong with developing engineering
software and charging for engineering services using
that software, right?

As long as you are not selling the software ?

Re: Quick Question

Sergei Steshenko

> There is nothing wrong with developing engineering
> software and charging for engineering services using
> that software, right?
>
> As long as you are not selling the software ?
>

> --

You can sell the SW - with source code. And not changing the license.

I.e. buyers should be able to redistribute using the same license.

Have a look at http://soft.proindependent.com/qtiplot.html - they used to sell Windows binaries; source is available.

Regards,
  Sergei.

Re: Quick Question

c.-2

On 20 Dec 2012, at 00:55, StandardOctaveUser wrote:

> now, technically,
>
> There is nothing wrong with developing engineering
> software and charging for engineering services using
> that software, right?

> As long as you are not selling the software ?
If you build a derivative work of Octave it must be free software.
But there is nothing wrong with selling free software:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney

c.

Re: Quick Question

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 19 December 2012 18:55, StandardOctaveUser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> now, technically,
>
> There is nothing wrong with developing engineering
> software and charging for engineering services using
> that software, right?
>
> As long as you are not selling the software ?

I don't understand what you are referring to. There is no problem
"selling" derived works from Octave, nor Octave itself. In fact, as I
have stated before, we are very seriously considering "selling" Octave
itself. I am using quotes here, because "selling" software is a fuzzy
concept. Exactly what are you selling? Octave is free, so it will
never have a license manager. Matlab sells you the permission to use
their software (a license). Octave can never take that permission
away. So instead, we plan to charge for the task of building and
transferring Octave binaries to users.

The GPL does not forbid commercial activity. It only forbids denying
other people the freedom that the GPL has given you: freedom to study
the source, to modify it, use it, and distribute it.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Quick Question

StandardOctaveUser
OK, my question stemps from the fact that I have
never needed to consider commercial activity with
octave before and now it "might" be possible
and instead of getting through the legal document
and understand and think and figure out does that
clause really mean that or that some other thing,
when I saw the topic opened, I seized the opportunity
to ask.

Well, this is off the topic but if you sold me the binary,
and if i can distribute it to the universe at no cost,
you would (commercially thinking at least) sell the
first 1000 customers or so then the market is fully
saturated, then you will need to build a ? new binary
an improved octave to sell the next 1000 or so copies.
(1000 is intended as an integer not an offense but
one would argue that it would be a decaying number)
Firstly, I might be getting it completely wrong but if thats
the way, then after say 3-5 years wouldn't there be
a strange correlation between the buggier the previous
release the more money could be made? or new packages
always having a dependency with the latest binary release?
and how would the collaboration and contributions take
new shape for those that are not profiting?

I don't know much about similar projects done or being done
like this and I don't mean to pose these questions as worries
since it would at most cost minimum of the known two options,
I am asking this to try and understand the bussiness model.

Re: Quick Question

StandardOctaveUser
I realize  i didn't respond to what i was selling part,
I would be selling engineering "services" as a consulting firm
and would be utilizing code developed using octave
and octave itself to deliver those services. As i
understand it is not even under a question mark
activity, but like i said i havent gone through any GPL
document to figure that out and was wondering
what i could find, without the time in my hands to
invest in it at the time.

Re: Quick Question

Francesco Potortì
>I realize  i didn't respond to what i was selling part,
>I would be selling engineering "services" as a consulting firm
>and would be utilizing code developed using octave
>and octave itself to deliver those services. As i
>understand it is not even under a question mark
>activity, but like i said i havent gone through any GPL
>document to figure that out and was wondering
>what i could find, without the time in my hands to
>invest in it at the time.

It depends on what "services" are.  If they include distributing
software, you have already been answered.  If they only include
distributing results of computations or acquired knowledge, you can use
Octave without any restrictions (but you can use anything else to that
end, for this matter).

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.315.3058 (op.2111)
(entrance 20, 1st floor, room C71)     Web:    http://fly.isti.cnr.it

Re: Quick Question

Sergei Steshenko

> I realize  i didn't respond to what i was selling part,
> I would be selling engineering "services" as a consulting firm
> and would be utilizing code developed using octave
> and octave itself to deliver those services. As i
> understand it is not even under a question mark
> activity, but like i said i havent gone through any GPL
> document to figure that out and was wondering
> what i could find, without the time in my hands to
> invest in it at the time.

Simply have a look at RedHat. Or Canonical of Ubuntu fame.

Their business model is based on free in FOSS sense software.

And CentOS is a RedHat ripoff ;).

Regards,
  Sergei.