RE: Help-octave Digest, Vol 167, Issue 19

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Help-octave Digest, Vol 167, Issue 19

John Donoghue-3
> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 06:34:51 -0500
> From: Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]>
> To: Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Help GNU Octave <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: pkg update - geometry warnings / errors on 5.2.0
> Message-ID:
> <CABNpfR8yAhpxdoPNRKTkP-
> [hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> >
> >
> >
> > This is the only relevant warning, Yes the dev used memset, we have to
> > fix this in future releases. Olaf laready pointed it out at release
> > time. Thanks!
> >
>
>
> Got it.
>
> warning: directory __OH__/share/octave/packages/geometry-3.0.0 previously
> lost
>
> I noticed a bunch of these as well for other packages. What exactly is that
> warning about?
>
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-
> octave/attachments/20200213/80d90236/attachment.html>
>

Was that from Octave installed using the installer, or from the redistributable dist file ? Either way, it looks like the post_install.bat file didn’t get run or completed its run.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pkg update - geometry warnings / errors on 5.2.0

nrjank
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 3:14 PM JohnD <[hidden email]> wrote:

Was that from Octave installed using the installer, or from the redistributable dist file ? Either way, it looks like the post_install.bat file didn’t get run or completed its run.


from a zip distribution. I thought I ran post_install, but can't say for certain. I'll setup a fresh copy, postinstall, and see what happens.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pkg update - geometry warnings / errors on 5.2.0

Mike Miller-4
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 16:35:20 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> from a zip distribution. I thought I ran post_install, but can't say for
> certain. I'll setup a fresh copy, postinstall, and see what happens.

The "__OH__" directory marker should only be used in Octave 6. If that
specific string is showing up with a clean install of Octave 5.2, then
maybe the build accidentally pulled in something from Octave 6?

--
mike



signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: pkg update - geometry warnings / errors on 5.2.0

John Donoghue-3


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mike Miller [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 4:53 PM
> To: Nicholas Jankowski
> Cc: JohnD; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: pkg update - geometry warnings / errors on 5.2.0
>
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 16:35:20 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> > from a zip distribution. I thought I ran post_install, but can't say
> > for certain. I'll setup a fresh copy, postinstall, and see what happens.
>
> The "__OH__" directory marker should only be used in Octave 6. If that specific
> string is showing up with a clean install of Octave 5.2, then maybe the build
> accidentally pulled in something from Octave 6?
>
> --
> mike

It is only used by octave 6, however is in the install for both - it just gets fixed by the post-install depending on whether its octave 6 or octave 5.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: pkg update - geometry warnings / errors on 5.2.0

John Donoghue-3


> -----Original Message-----
> From: JohnD [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 5:33 PM
> To: 'Mike Miller'; 'Nicholas Jankowski'
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: RE: pkg update - geometry warnings / errors on 5.2.0
>
>
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Mike Miller [mailto:[hidden email]]
> > Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 4:53 PM
> > To: Nicholas Jankowski
> > Cc: JohnD; [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: pkg update - geometry warnings / errors on 5.2.0
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 16:35:20 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> > > from a zip distribution. I thought I ran post_install, but can't say
> > > for certain. I'll setup a fresh copy, postinstall, and see what happens.
> >
> > The "__OH__" directory marker should only be used in Octave 6. If that
> specific
> > string is showing up with a clean install of Octave 5.2, then maybe the build
> > accidentally pulled in something from Octave 6?
> >
> > --
> > mike
>
> It is only used by octave 6, however is in the install for both - it just gets fixed by
> the post-install depending on whether its octave 6 or octave 5.

Prior to that, the path was still wrong and still needing the post install to be run to fix it



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pkg update - geometry warnings / errors on 5.2.0

nrjank
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 5:37 PM JohnD <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It is only used by octave 6, however is in the install for both - it just gets fixed by
> the post-install depending on whether its octave 6 or octave 5.

Prior to that, the path was still wrong and still needing the post install to be run to fix it



 created a clean v5.2.0 from the 7z archive, ran post-install.bat, then a pkg install matgeom then pkg update.  None of the directory markers showed up.  Must have forgotten to run post-install on this machine.

Last time i did this at CLI.  This time in the GUI. That original geometry warning set did use colorful markup. After the update was complete, the color setting stayed and changed my text to a too-light-to-see-well gray. see attached.  I didn't actually know the gui could do colorful text.  back to normal after a restart, not sure how I would have otherwise changed it back.





Capture.PNG (76K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pkg update - geometry warnings / errors on 5.2.0

Mike Miller-4
On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 12:00:42 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> Last time i did this at CLI.  This time in the GUI. That original geometry
> warning set did use colorful markup. After the update was complete, the
> color setting stayed and changed my text to a too-light-to-see-well gray.
> see attached.  I didn't actually know the gui could do colorful text.  back
> to normal after a restart, not sure how I would have otherwise changed it
> back.

Seems this patch may not be working as intended

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?57658

--
mike



signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment