RE: User Function

Julian A. de Marchi, Ph.D.
I've maintained for some time that this ought to be on the
octave.sourceforge.net site (my personal vote).  The site is not quite
defunct, but needs a breath of fresh enthusiasm.  In any case, wherever this
site ends up is also where the matlinks octave compatibility page would be
moved (matlinks.net/matcompat.html).  I think Paul Kienzle would agree with
this, and also he's written some Perl to help automate updates to this page.
I admit I've been on a hiatus myself!  Travels, travails... But matlinks
will also receive a breath of fresh air in the coming weeks.

Cheers,
Julian
(MatLinks.net)

ps Wouldn't Linus find this a cruftig dialogue?  Is that his email address
or does it just look like it?

Re: User Function

Paul Kienzle-5

I have already been gathering user contributed functions, or at least
those that are compatible with matlab functions.  For a list of functions
available, see
        http://users.powernet.co.uk/kienzle/matcompat
or download at
        http://users.powernet.co.uk/kienzle/matcompat.tar.gz

This has been a labour intensive process, though I do have a script
to convert the function database into a web interface automatically.
However, file uploads and entries into the database must be done by hand.
Automating this so that users could contribute functions automatically
would be nice.  Maybe an e-mail interface like the current bug_report
function in octave?  A web-based interface doesn't seem right since
it will be hard to get the files in the right place, and an ftp-based
interface is more awkward to use.  Maybe CVS, but I've never used it.
Even with CVS, it would be nice to have a mail interface for occasional
contributors.

I'm torn about the organization of the database.  The choices which
make sense are by author and by category.  By author is convenient from
an administration perspective (authors are responsible for their own
contributions), but inconvenient from a users perspective (difficult
for them to find the functions they need).  I chose to organize things
by category.  In retrospect, organizing them by author or by package
and using install to put things into categories might be better.

Tricky problems are:

        functions which are different for 2.0.x and 2.1.x
        functions which fix existing octave functions, and so may
                or may not have already been included in more
                recent versions of octave
        patches to octave sources (2.0.x or 2.1.x) --- particularly
                a problem since they may be dependent on minor version
                number, and since some scripts may depend on the patches
                to work
        functions which disappear from the network for whatever reason ---
                you need to mirror packages and point to the original
                source
        functions with numerous dependencies --- it would be nice to
                package all the libraries needed, and let the user get
                more up to date libraries from the original source if
                they need them.  WARNING: some of these are big.

Assuming the entire database is too large to handle as one big distribution
(which with dependencies like qhull, GiNaC and SuperLU may already be the
case), it will be necessary to distribute parts of the database.  That
means we will have to keep track of dependencies so that we can generate
appropriate subsets automatically.

Paul Kienzle
[hidden email]

Re: User Function

Etienne Grossmann-3

  Hello,

From: Paul Kienzle <[hidden email]>

[...]

  CVS is very convenient when you have many developers who work on the
same files. However it is possible for a single developer to goof and
mess up files, so it is good to double check before commiting
changes. I don't know how to set up a CVS server with remote/secure
shell interface, but I doubt it is very hard; Sourceforge allows just
this. I am already a little bit familiar with CVS : I use it for my
m-files and for the FreeWRL project, on Sourceforge.

[snip]

#  Tricky problems are:
[snip]
#          functions with numerous dependencies --- it would be nice to
#                  package all the libraries needed, and let the user get
#                  more up to date libraries from the original source if
#                  they need them.  WARNING: some of these are big.

  I have been using a homemade script for finding dependencies amongst
my functions. It has glitches, by I'm fixing them. I used it to pack
my latest bundles of vrml tools and Newton-like optimization tools
(http://anonimo.isr.ist.utl.pt/~etienne/octave).

  Cheers,

  Etienne

Re: User Function

Paul Kienzle-5
I was aware of your script but I didn't actually try it.  I assumed it
would not be able to handle .oct file dependencies, which is required
for my distribution.  Sorry!

It occurs to me that you can pick up the top level dependencies by
scanning for DEFUN_DLD in the sources.  But that still doesn't help
if the .oct file is dependent upon an external library.  Listing
these internal dependencies in the database will be necessary, but
if it is done right, the make file can be generated automatically.

Paul Kienzle
[hidden email]

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 05:27:59PM +0100, Etienne Grossmann wrote:
[snip]

> #  Tricky problems are:
> [snip]
> #          functions with numerous dependencies --- it would be nice to
> #                  package all the libraries needed, and let the user get
> #                  more up to date libraries from the original source if
> #                  they need them.  WARNING: some of these are big.
>
>   I have been using a homemade script for finding dependencies amongst
> my functions. It has glitches, by I'm fixing them. I used it to pack
> my latest bundles of vrml tools and Newton-like optimization tools
> (http://anonimo.isr.ist.utl.pt/~etienne/octave).
>
>   Cheers,
>
>   Etienne

Re: User Function

Etienne Grossmann-3

  Hello,

>From [hidden email] Fri Oct 13 11:10:25 2000
#  I was aware of your script but I didn't actually try it.  I assumed it
#  would not be able to handle .oct file dependencies, which is required
#  for my distribution.  Sorry!

  Right, .oct files are not handled. In fact, I don't know how to use
.oct files by hand either.

#  It occurs to me that you can pick up the top level dependencies by
#  scanning for DEFUN_DLD in the sources.  But that still doesn't help
#  if the .oct file is dependent upon an external library.  Listing
#  these internal dependencies in the database will be necessary, but
#  if it is done right, the make file can be generated automatically.

  Your idea would be to have software packages come with a Makefile or
"configure" file that takes care of the installation? It would
simplify the life of users, indeed. Especially if it were as simple as

  opkg install <package-file-name>

(opkg like in "Octave Package Manager"; call it "opm" or whatever name
inpired by your distribution's package manager)

  Cheers,

  Etienne