README file is out-of-date

Hrishikesh Bakshi
Hi all,
The README file claims: "The file BUGS explains the recommended
procedure for reporting bugs or contributing patches." There is no
such file in the repository. May be we could information from:
http://jordi.inversethought.com/blog/how-to-write-a-patch-for-octave/
?

Also, the INSTALL file is in the directory 'gnulib-hg/doc'. The README
file mentions the INSTALL file but doesn't specify this path.

I just started using octave and hope to contribute to the development.
Hrishi

Re: README file is out-of-date

Mike Miller
On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 00:34:02 -0400, Hrishikesh Bakshi wrote:

> Hi all,
> The README file claims: "The file BUGS explains the recommended
> procedure for reporting bugs or contributing patches." There is no
> such file in the repository. May be we could information from:
> http://jordi.inversethought.com/blog/how-to-write-a-patch-for-octave/
> ?
>
> Also, the INSTALL file is in the directory 'gnulib-hg/doc'. The README
> file mentions the INSTALL file but doesn't specify this path.
>
> I just started using octave and hope to contribute to the development.

Hi Hrishi,

Actually both of these files *are* in the source distribution of
Octave, but not in the Mercurial repository (which is probably what
you are looking at). There are several files that are built from other
files which are intentionally not in the repository, but are referred
to as if they exist (assuming the reader is working with a prepared
source distribution).

The files AUTHORS, BUGS, ChangeLog, INSTALL, and INSTALL.OCTAVE are
all generated from other sources as part of the build. And maybe
README should be referring to INSTALL.OCTAVE instead of INSTALL?

I hope that explains what you are seeing and that there is not a
problem. Can you suggest ways to present this better or explain
somewhere that certain files are part of the Octave source package but
are not in a pristine clone of the repository?

Re: README file is out-of-date

On 09/24/2014 12:34 AM, Hrishikesh Bakshi wrote:
> Hi all,
> The README file claims: "The file BUGS explains the recommended
> procedure for reporting bugs or contributing patches." There is no
> such file in the repository. May be we could information from:
> http://jordi.inversethought.com/blog/how-to-write-a-patch-for-octave/
> ?

The BUGS file is generated, so will be present after you build Octave.
These files are intended for people who are building Octave from tarball
releases, not from the Mercurial development sources.

> Also, the INSTALL file is in the directory 'gnulib-hg/doc'. The README
> file mentions the INSTALL file but doesn't specify this path.

Thanks, I changed that to say INSTALL.OCTAVE, which is probably the best
place for someone starting from a tarball release to start looking for
information about installing Octave.  The INSTALL file from the
gnulib-hg/doc, which is linked to the top-level directory when you run
the bootstrap script, is the generic autotools INSTALL file.

> I just started using octave and hope to contribute to the development.
> Hrishi

You might start by reading etc/HACKING.

jwe