Re: 2020 Code Sprint

Rik-4
On 03/10/2020 11:18 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
Re: OctConf 2020 - virtual code sprint day?
From:
Nicholas Jankowski [hidden email]
Date:
03/10/2020 11:18 PM
To:
Kai Torben Ohlhus [hidden email]
CC:
Nicholas Jankowski [hidden email], octave-maintainers [hidden email]
Message:
5

Nice idea.  It is really a pity that no OctConf did happen for two years
now.  I would be interest in such kind of meeting.  You have some nice
tool in mind to gather virtually?

Not really. Something we're going through at work now with upcoming meetings. We have a hardwired VTC system with an IP bridge that works well for people with that setup, but are starting to look at web based options for external universities, small businesses, etc.  Wouldn't mind hearing what others may be using and how they scale.

Could kick that over to help list if it's worth general discussion.

I think this is a great idea.  It's been a long time since we all got together.  As another plus, a lot of people are either in quarantine (see Italy) or are  voluntarily working from home, and boredom is a factor.

Previously we have just used the #octave IRC channel for sprints, but could consider something else.

Do we want a theme to the code sprint?  Or is this more of a social event and everyone will be hanging out and working on their own coding problems?

--Rik

Re: 2020 Code Sprint

nrjank

I think this is a great idea.  It's been a long time since we all got together.  As another plus, a lot of people are either in quarantine (see Italy) or are  voluntarily working from home, and boredom is a factor.

Previously we have just used the #octave IRC channel for sprints, but could consider something else.

Do we want a theme to the code sprint?  Or is this more of a social event and everyone will be hanging out and working on their own coding problems?

--Rik

more questions than answers:

- when does GSOC officially start again? And what's the gap between that and participant selection/confirmation? Might be a good time to set the sprint as an 'onboarding' experience.
- i'm a broken record regarding this for every organization I'm in, but how could this be used to bring on/educate the newbies? (not just GSOC) "getting started", "setting up your pc to contribute", "running windows, believe it or not all is not lost you can still help", etc. I could see webinar-esque value to something like those.

(edit: what's the octave-maintainers-request address?)

Re: 2020 Code Sprint

Nir Krakauer-3
GSoC students will be chosen in April, and the on-boarding period for
the ones accepted will be Apr 27 - May 18.

Re: octave-maintainers-request@gnu.org

Rik-4
On 03/11/2020 08:20 AM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

[...]

The octave-maintainers digest e-mail comes to my inbox with a From field of "octave-maintainers-request".  For example, in one of the latest Digest e-mails the fields are

From: [hidden email]
Subject: =?utf-8?q?Octave-maintainers_Digest=2C_Vol_168=2C_Issue_19?=
To: [hidden email]

If I hit Reply-to-All it ends up in one of the address fields.  That might be my e-mail tool (Thunderbird) not recognizing it should only use the Reply-To field.  This might also be something that is configurable on the server so that the From field is the same as the Reply-To field.

--Rik

onboarding (was: 2020 Code Sprint)

Mike Miller-4
Hi Nick,

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 11:20:37 -0400, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> - i'm a broken record regarding this for every organization I'm in, but how
> could this be used to bring on/educate the newbies? (not just GSOC)
> "getting started", "setting up your pc to contribute", "running windows,
> believe it or not all is not lost you can still help", etc. I could see
> webinar-esque value to something like those.

I'm also very into these topics. I've talked with people outside of
Octave pretty often about a variety of ideas related to welcoming and
onboarding.

Some ideas I'd be interested in helping make happen:

- a dedicated web portal to help onboard new developers
- same but tailored for SoC (replace/improve the Getting Started wiki)
- regular online sprints or IRC sessions to help people learn patches
- Q&A sessions (à la Reddit AMA)
- get feedback on the build system to make it easier to get started
- new tools/scripts for easier contribution
- try alternatives to IRC and mailing lists to see if easier for some

Happy to talk with you more about this topic, either on or off list, and
make something happen.

Re: onboarding

On 3/12/20 8:57 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 11:20:37 -0400, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
>> - i'm a broken record regarding this for every organization I'm in, but how
>> could this be used to bring on/educate the newbies? (not just GSOC)
>> "getting started", "setting up your pc to contribute", "running windows,
>> believe it or not all is not lost you can still help", etc. I could see
>> webinar-esque value to something like those.
>
> I'm also very into these topics. I've talked with people outside of
> Octave pretty often about a variety of ideas related to welcoming and
> onboarding.
>
> Some ideas I'd be interested in helping make happen:
>
> - a dedicated web portal to help onboard new developers
> - same but tailored for SoC (replace/improve the Getting Started wiki)
> - regular online sprints or IRC sessions to help people learn patches
> - Q&A sessions (à la Reddit AMA)
> - get feedback on the build system to make it easier to get started
> - new tools/scripts for easier contribution
> - try alternatives to IRC and mailing lists to see if easier for some
>
> Happy to talk with you more about this topic, either on or off list, and
> make something happen.

All these seem like good goals to me.  Making it easier for people to
become productive contributors would be great.

Re: onboarding

Carnë Draug
On 3/12/20 8:57 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 11:20:37 -0400, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
>> - i'm a broken record regarding this for every organization I'm in, but how
>> could this be used to bring on/educate the newbies? (not just GSOC)
>> "getting started", "setting up your pc to contribute", "running windows,
>> believe it or not all is not lost you can still help", etc. I could see
>> webinar-esque value to something like those.
>
> I'm also very into these topics. I've talked with people outside of
> Octave pretty often about a variety of ideas related to welcoming and
> onboarding.
>
> Some ideas I'd be interested in helping make happen:
>
> - a dedicated web portal to help onboard new developers
> - same but tailored for SoC (replace/improve the Getting Started wiki)
> - regular online sprints or IRC sessions to help people learn patches
> - Q&A sessions (à la Reddit AMA)
> - get feedback on the build system to make it easier to get started
> - new tools/scripts for easier contribution
> - try alternatives to IRC and mailing lists to see if easier for some
>
> Happy to talk with you more about this topic, either on or off list, and
> make something happen.

Hi Mike

Those all sound like nice ideas.  I've been thinking of similar stuff
for a work project (also FOSS).  Is there anyone aware of any research
on the effect of such different things have on a project community?  I
would imagine that different things will have different levels of
impacts, and may probably be a function of the stage of the project.

All of the stuff I read about this is opinion articles and very rarely
there's even a story backing it up.  Anyone knows of any work done on
this?

Thanks
carandraug