Re: Code generation with an octave interface

Re: Code generation with an octave interface

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
2008/11/18 Jaroslav Hajek <[hidden email]>:
> Many numeric classes in Octave, in particular everything derived from
> Array<T> (such as the Matrix class), are actually pointers to
> reference-counted data, using copy-on-write mechanism, so that a
> read-only copy is always cheap.

Btw, this reminded me... I have tried digging around the Octave
source, and maybe I just haven't tried hard enough, but I still get
really lost there. So now I ask...

Is there a document somewhere that outlines in the broadest meaningful
strokes possible, how the Octave source is laid out? I know there have
been requests and talks before of documenting the code before, and I
know how much work that is, but I don't want any kind of detail, just
a rough, "visitor's guide", shall we say.

I've run Doxgyen through Octave in an effort to better visualise
what's going on, but I still get lost. :-(

Thanks,
- Jordi G. H.

Re: Code generation with an octave interface

John W. Eaton-6
On 18-Nov-2008, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

| 2008/11/18 Jaroslav Hajek <[hidden email]>:
| > Many numeric classes in Octave, in particular everything derived from
| > Array<T> (such as the Matrix class), are actually pointers to
| > reference-counted data, using copy-on-write mechanism, so that a
| > read-only copy is always cheap.
|
| Btw, this reminded me... I have tried digging around the Octave
| source, and maybe I just haven't tried hard enough, but I still get
| really lost there. So now I ask...
|
| Is there a document somewhere that outlines in the broadest meaningful
| strokes possible, how the Octave source is laid out? I know there have
| been requests and talks before of documenting the code before, and I
| know how much work that is, but I don't want any kind of detail, just
| a rough, "visitor's guide", shall we say.
|
| I've run Doxgyen through Octave in an effort to better visualise
| what's going on, but I still get lost. :-(

What are you confused about?  It is much easier to answer specific
questions.  Plus, if you ask specific questions about what you don't
understand, then we don't waste time describing things that you
already do understand.

Re: Code generation with an octave interface

David Bateman-3
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> 2008/11/18 Jaroslav Hajek <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Many numeric classes in Octave, in particular everything derived from
>> Array<T> (such as the Matrix class), are actually pointers to
>> reference-counted data, using copy-on-write mechanism, so that a
>> read-only copy is always cheap.
>>

> Btw, this reminded me... I have tried digging around the Octave
> source, and maybe I just haven't tried hard enough, but I still get
> really lost there. So now I ask...
>
> Is there a document somewhere that outlines in the broadest meaningful
> strokes possible, how the Octave source is laid out? I know there have
> been requests and talks before of documenting the code before, and I
> know how much work that is, but I don't want any kind of detail, just
> a rough, "visitor's guide", shall we say.
>
> I've run Doxgyen through Octave in an effort to better visualise
> what's going on, but I still get lost. :-(
>
> Thanks,
> - Jordi G. H.

Jens Ruecknagel wrote some text a while back that might be some help..
See the document

http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~rueckn/Oct_Interpreter_Compiler.pdf

and in particular section 1, that describes in 20 pages the internals of
Octave. Yes its a bit brief, but it might be a good place to start

D.

Motorola Labs - Paris                        +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE                  +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary

2008/11/19 David Bateman <[hidden email]>:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>> Is there a document somewhere that outlines in the broadest meaningful
>> strokes possible, how the Octave source is laid out?

> Jens Ruecknagel wrote some text a while back that might be some help..

Thank you! This looks almost exactly what I was looking for. I'll read
it and hopefully come back with more coherent questions.

- Jordi G. H.