Re: [GSoC 2021] Octave and Jupyter notebook Integration

Re: [GSoC 2021] Octave and Jupyter notebook Integration

siko1056
On 3/12/21 7:46 PM, Ayush Singh wrote:

> Hi!
> I was recently browsing through ww.wiki.octave.org when the *"Jupyter Notebook Integration"*
> project caught my eye.
> I have experience with both Jupyter-Notebook(with python) and Octave and
> would love to work on this project if given some initial guidance on how
> to proceed in this direction.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Ayush
> https://github.com/WinterSoldier13

Dear Ayush,

On the project wiki page [1], I have written down some ideas.  Please
ask any questions about them, if something is unclear to you.  Other
generic guidance I can give is, have a look at [2,3] and try to build
Octave from the sources on your local machine.

[1]
https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_-_Getting_Started#Jupyter_Notebook_Integration
[2]
https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_-_Getting_Started#Steps_toward_a_successful_application
[3] https://wiki.octave.org/Developer_FAQ

Re: [GSoC 2021] Octave and Jupyter notebook Integration

Marius Schamschula-5
FYI:

There already is such a thing: An Octave kernel for Jupyter [1].

[1] https://github.com/Calysto/octave_kernel

--
Marius Schamschula

Re: [GSoC 2021] Octave and Jupyter notebook Integration

José Abílio Matos
On Saturday, March 13, 2021 10:38:20 AM WET Marius Schamschula wrote:
> There already is such a thing: An Octave kernel for Jupyter [1].
>
> [1] https://github.com/Calysto/octave_kernel

IIRC there was a discussion in this list a year ago.
The main point is that the kernel has some limitations since it uses the
generic metakernel framework and thus it has some limitations that could be
solved with a more integrated kernel. That was acknowledge by the Calysto
developers.

One of the issues that I remember was, for example, the possibility of having
pretty printing. I remember in particular the tablicious package. It would be
nice to have a pretty table representation instead of the ascii one.

We can see that for example with the equivalent pandas tables in python. When
you return as pandas object (the equivalent of a table in octave) we get a
nice representation.

So even if a jupyter kernel exists a better integration would be nice.

Best regards,
--
José Matos

Re: [GSoC 2021] Octave and Jupyter notebook Integration

Abdallah Elshamy

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021, 2:18 PM Abdallah Elshamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
There already is such a thing: An Octave kernel for Jupyter [1].

[1] https://github.com/Calysto/octave_kernel

I think that the goal of this project is to run Jupyter Notebook within GNU Octave so that users can evaluate notebooks that take a long time to run. A browser connection is required to keep a notebook running and this may be troublesome for some users so running those notebooks within Octave will be helpful in that case.

Best,
Abdallah

Forgot to CC octave mailing list