Re: GSoD for 2020

Rik-4
On 04/16/2020 09:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Re: Reg: GSoD Applications for the year 2020
From:
PRUBHTEJ SINGH [hidden email]
Date:
04/15/2020 12:26 PM
To:
Nicholas Jankowski [hidden email]
CC:
octave-maintainers [hidden email]
Message:
3

Thank you for your response.
Regards
Prubhtej singh

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 12:55 AM Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 3:05 PM PRUBHTEJ SINGH <[hidden email]> wrote:
Greetings
I would like to enquire regarding the GSoD 2020, whether there are any opportunities available with Octave for technical writing .

Regarding this and your previous inquiry, the Octave maintainers have not had any online discussion up to this point on participation in GSOD. (Your first email was, I believe, in response to my Octave maintainers list inquiry about whether there was any interest in pursuing GSOD.)

If you are familiar with Octave and had ideas for a GSOD appropriate Octave project, perhaps offering some suggestions here might be a good way to prompt a discussion.

There is a small list of documentation projects at http://wiki.octave.org/Projects#Documentation_and_On-Line_Help.  But, the list is out of date and probably not what we would concentrate on now.  For example, it refers to "help -i" which isn't even valid Octave syntax anymore.

One project would simply be to read various chapters of the manual and see whether they make sense.  A lot of the documentation was written by developers, and we may think a concept is obvious, when it is fact not.

Another idea would be looking at the documentation of individual functions and re-writing any which doesn't use the standard documentation template (I think there is a description in the Octave Wiki about how functions should be documented).

--Rik

Re: GSoD for 2020

Nir Krakauer-3
If we want to do this, we should start an SoD wiki page, or a new section of https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_-_Getting_Started#Suggested_projects, to list project ideas.

Re: GSoD for 2020

Rik-4
On 04/16/2020 02:27 PM, Nir Krakauer wrote:
> If we want to do this, we should start an SoD wiki page, or a new section
> of
> https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_-_Getting_Started#Suggested_projects,
> to list project ideas.

Good suggestion.  I'm too busy right now to manage anything, but I support
this and will add comments when I can.

--Rik

Re: GSoD for 2020

PRUBHTEJ SINGH
Greetings
Yesterday, I had gone through the octave documentation. One of the options that I can start with is to flesh out the wiki for GNU Octave.
Hoping to hear from you soon.
Regards
Prubhtej Singh

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 3:45 AM Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04/16/2020 02:27 PM, Nir Krakauer wrote:
> If we want to do this, we should start an SoD wiki page, or a new section
> of
> https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_-_Getting_Started#Suggested_projects,
> to list project ideas.

Good suggestion.  I'm too busy right now to manage anything, but I support
this and will add comments when I can.

--Rik

Re: GSoD for 2020

siko1056
On 4/17/20 1:26 PM, PRUBHTEJ SINGH wrote:
> Greetings
> Yesterday, I had gone through the octave documentation. One of the
> options that I can start with is to flesh out the wiki for GNU Octave.
> Hoping to hear from you soon.
> Regards
> Prubhtej Singh

You are always welcome to improve the Octave wiki.  If the changes are
not suitable, each wiki has a rollback function, just go ahead ;-)  Just
for curiosity, what do you plan to flesh out there?

On 4/17/20 7:15 AM, Rik wrote:
> On 04/16/2020 02:27 PM, Nir Krakauer wrote:
>> If we want to do this, we should start an SoD wiki page, or a new
>> section of

https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_-_Getting_Started#Suggested_projects,
>> to list project ideas.
>
> Good suggestion.  I'm too busy right now to manage anything, but I
> support this and will add comments when I can.
>
> --Rik

Agree, Octave's participation in GSoD, next to GSoC, might be worth a
try.  Getting a motivated experienced technical writer (maybe Prubhtej
Singh) for Octave cannot be bad at all.

I start with the wiki [1] this weekend, maybe creating an own short
page, if I carefully read the guidelines [2].  Nir, would you find time
to fill out the organization application form [2] again?  I would like
to be added as admin/mentor, whatever is needed.  If you are not
available, I can also care about this part.

Kai

[1]
https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_-_Getting_Started#Suggested_projects
[2] https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/admin-guide

Re: GSoD for 2020

PRUBHTEJ SINGH
Greetings
Initially, I would like to elaborate the introduction part on GNU Octave's main page, which I find does not explain some features as well as its comparison with Matlab in brief so as to attract user attention to the Wiki as my first step .
Hope to hear from you soon
Regards
Prubhtej Singh

On 4/17/20 7:15 AM, Rik wrote:
> On 04/16/2020 02:27 PM, Nir Krakauer wrote:
>> If we want to do this, we should start an SoD wiki page, or a new
>> section of

https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_-_Getting_Started#Suggested_projects,
>> to list project ideas.
>
> Good suggestion.  I'm too busy right now to manage anything, but I
> support this and will add comments when I can.
>
> --Rik

Agree, Octave's participation in GSoD, next to GSoC, might be worth a
try.  Getting a motivated experienced technical writer (maybe Prubhtej
Singh) for Octave cannot be bad at all.

I start with the wiki [1] this weekend, maybe creating an own short
page, if I carefully read the guidelines [2].  Nir, would you find time
to fill out the organization application form [2] again?  I would like
to be added as admin/mentor, whatever is needed.  If you are not
available, I can also care about this part.

Kai

[1]
https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_-_Getting_Started#Suggested_projects
[2] https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/admin-guide

Re: GSoD for 2020

Nir Krakauer-3
> I start with the wiki [1] this weekend, maybe creating an own short page, if I carefully read the guidelines [2].  Nir, would you find time to fill out the organization application form [2] again?  I would like to be added as admin/mentor, whatever is needed.

Hi Kai,

That sounds good. I can lead the application. Let me know once you
started with the wiki page.

--Nir

Re: GSoD for 2020

Nir Krakauer-3
Hi Kai-- Thanks for starting the Wiki page [1]. I started the application.

Everyone-- Please let me know if you are interested in being a mentor
for this. If so, please update the Wiki page [1] with your name and
the project that you may want to mentor (if it isn't already there).

--Nir

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/Project_-_Documentation

Re: GSoD for 2020

PRUBHTEJ SINGH
Greetings
Kindly allow me to start with the work.
Hoping to hear from you soon
Regards
Prubhtej Singh

On 4/18/20 11:47 PM, PRUBHTEJ SINGH wrote:
> Greetings
> Kindly allow me to start with the work.
> Hoping to hear from you soon
> Regards
> Prubhtej Singh

Dear Prubhtej Singh,

You are free to start with whatever you like to.  If you answer to this
mailing-list, please answer at the bottom of the email, this is standard
here.

Best,
Kai

Re: GSoD for 2020

PRUBHTEJ SINGH
Greetings
I got it .
Regards
Prubhtej Singh

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 11:30 AM Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4/18/20 11:47 PM, PRUBHTEJ SINGH wrote:
> Greetings
> Kindly allow me to start with the work.
> Hoping to hear from you soon
> Regards
> Prubhtej Singh

Dear Prubhtej Singh,

You are free to start with whatever you like to.  If you answer to this
mailing-list, please answer at the bottom of the email, this is standard
here.

Best,
Kai

Re: GSoD for 2020

nrjank
please answer at the bottom of the email, this is standard
here.

Again. This mailing list uses bottom posting to make following the conversation easier on different mail readers. In Gmail on desktop, you need to click the three dots icon to show the previous parts of the conversation.  See

Re: GSoD for 2020

siko1056
On 4/18/20 11:38 PM, Nir Krakauer wrote:

> Hi Kai-- Thanks for starting the Wiki page [1]. I started the application.
>
> Everyone-- Please let me know if you are interested in being a mentor
> for this. If so, please update the Wiki page [1] with your name and
> the project that you may want to mentor (if it isn't already there).
>
> --Nir
>
> [1] https://wiki.octave.org/Project_-_Documentation

Nir, thank you for starting the application.  I applied as admin and
mentor.  So far I am done with [1].  Suggestions and corrections are
always welcome.

Kai

Re: GSoD for 2020

Nir Krakauer-3