Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT ERROR?

12

Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT ERROR?

bpabbott
Administrator
Ming, **please** "reply-all" so that others can follow along and not answer previously answered questions.  Also type you response at the **end** of the email so that those arriving later can follow the discussion.  I've responded further at the bottom.

On May 19, 2013, at 9:41 PM, Ming Liu wrote:

> On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On May 19, 2013, at 8:47 PM, Ming Liu wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> > I have read the online contribution guideline for Octave. The link is here:
>> >
>> > http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html#Contributing-Guidelines
>> >
>> > However, it is very vague for me to understand what actually I need to do.
>>
>> Have you installed mercurial?  If not, please tell us which OS you're on and someone willl be able to help
>>
>> If you already installed mercurial, have you setup a local mercurial archive for Octave?
>>
>> Ben
>
> Thank you Ben!
> I am using mac OS system. Thanks very much for that upcoming help! I gratefully look forward for it.
> Kind regards,
> Ming

Ok.  To start I recommend you install a package management system.  Fink and Macports are good choices which I have experience with.  Homebrew is also available, but I've never used it.  I'm no longer building the development sources using Fink, but can help you with Macports.

        http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#MacPorts

After installing Macports, ...

        sudo port install octave-devel +atlas+fltk+gcc47
        sudo port install mercurial
        sudo port install autoconf
        sudo port install automake
        sudo port install flex

The install of octave-devel will provide all of Octave's dependencies.  After installing mercurial, autoconf and automake, you'll be ready to follow the instructions at the link below.

        http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html#Contributing-Guidelines

Ben

Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT ERROR?

Ming Liu-2
Thank you Ben,
I am installing it now.

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ming, **please** "reply-all" so that others can follow along and not answer previously answered questions.  Also type you response at the **end** of the email so that those arriving later can follow the discussion.  I've responded further at the bottom.

On May 19, 2013, at 9:41 PM, Ming Liu wrote:

> On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On May 19, 2013, at 8:47 PM, Ming Liu wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> > I have read the online contribution guideline for Octave. The link is here:
>> >
>> > http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html#Contributing-Guidelines
>> >
>> > However, it is very vague for me to understand what actually I need to do.
>>
>> Have you installed mercurial?  If not, please tell us which OS you're on and someone willl be able to help
>>
>> If you already installed mercurial, have you setup a local mercurial archive for Octave?
>>
>> Ben
>
> Thank you Ben!
> I am using mac OS system. Thanks very much for that upcoming help! I gratefully look forward for it.
> Kind regards,
> Ming

Ok.  To start I recommend you install a package management system.  Fink and Macports are good choices which I have experience with.  Homebrew is also available, but I've never used it.  I'm no longer building the development sources using Fink, but can help you with Macports.

        http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#MacPorts

After installing Macports, ...

        sudo port install octave-devel +atlas+fltk+gcc47
        sudo port install mercurial
        sudo port install autoconf
        sudo port install automake
        sudo port install flex

The install of octave-devel will provide all of Octave's dependencies.  After installing mercurial, autoconf and automake, you'll be ready to follow the instructions at the link below.

        http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html#Contributing-Guidelines

Ben

Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT ERROR?

Ming Liu-2
Unfortunately I got a message as follows
sudo port install octave-devel +atlas+fltk+gcc47

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
Because my mac OS does not have a password, so I just typed 'enter'. However,

it says:
========
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
Sorry, try again.
sudo: 3 incorrect password attempts
========
what should I do now?

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 12:01 AM, Ming Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you Ben,
I am installing it now.

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ming, **please** "reply-all" so that others can follow along and not answer previously answered questions.  Also type you response at the **end** of the email so that those arriving later can follow the discussion.  I've responded further at the bottom.

On May 19, 2013, at 9:41 PM, Ming Liu wrote:

> On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On May 19, 2013, at 8:47 PM, Ming Liu wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> > I have read the online contribution guideline for Octave. The link is here:
>> >
>> > http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html#Contributing-Guidelines
>> >
>> > However, it is very vague for me to understand what actually I need to do.
>>
>> Have you installed mercurial?  If not, please tell us which OS you're on and someone willl be able to help
>>
>> If you already installed mercurial, have you setup a local mercurial archive for Octave?
>>
>> Ben
>
> Thank you Ben!
> I am using mac OS system. Thanks very much for that upcoming help! I gratefully look forward for it.
> Kind regards,
> Ming

Ok.  To start I recommend you install a package management system.  Fink and Macports are good choices which I have experience with.  Homebrew is also available, but I've never used it.  I'm no longer building the development sources using Fink, but can help you with Macports.

        http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#MacPorts

After installing Macports, ...

        sudo port install octave-devel +atlas+fltk+gcc47
        sudo port install mercurial
        sudo port install autoconf
        sudo port install automake
        sudo port install flex

The install of octave-devel will provide all of Octave's dependencies.  After installing mercurial, autoconf and automake, you'll be ready to follow the instructions at the link below.

        http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html#Contributing-Guidelines

Ben

Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT ERROR?

Marius Schamschula-3

On May 19, 2013, at 9:10 AM, Ming Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> Kind regards,
> Ming

Ok.  To start I recommend you install a package management system.  Fink and Macports are good choices which I have experience with.  Homebrew is also available, but I've never used it.  I'm no longer building the development sources using Fink, but can help you with Macports.

        http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#MacPorts

After installing Macports, ...

        sudo port install octave-devel +atlas+fltk+gcc47
        sudo port install mercurial
        sudo port install autoconf
        sudo port install automake
        sudo port install flex

The install of octave-devel will provide all of Octave's dependencies.  After installing mercurial, autoconf and automake, you'll be ready to follow the instructions at the link below.

Your login password will do nicely.

--
Marius Schamschula

Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT ERROR?

Ming Liu-2
Thank you Marius.
Previously I do not have a password, so I just typed enter three times, and it did not work.
Now I set my password, and...it works...

On May 19, 2013, at 9:34 AM, Ming Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> Kind regards,
> Ming

Ok.  To start I recommend you install a package management system.  Fink and Macports are good choices which I have experience with.  Homebrew is also available, but I've never used it.  I'm no longer building the development sources using Fink, but can help you with Macports.

        http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#MacPorts

After installing Macports, ...

        sudo port install octave-devel +atlas+fltk+gcc47
        sudo port install mercurial
        sudo port install autoconf
        sudo port install automake
        sudo port install flex

The install of octave-devel will provide all of Octave's dependencies.  After installing mercurial, autoconf and automake, you'll be ready to follow the instructions at the link below.

Set?

You should not have to "set" a password.

Did you set up a root password? Not a good idea under Mac OS X.

Any account that has administrative privileges can run sudo with its login password.

--
Marius Schamschula

Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT ERROR?

Ming Liu-2
I did the following commands:

+++++++++++++++
    http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#MacPorts

After installing Macports, ...

        sudo port install octave-devel +atlas+fltk+gcc47
        sudo port install mercurial
        sudo port install autoconf
        sudo port install automake
        sudo port install flex
+++++++++++++++

Every step has been done. Now may I ask where can I find the m-files that I need to work on in my MAC OS directories? Unfortunately I cannot find them now....

On May 20, 2013, at 02:08 AM, Ming Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:

I did the following commands:

+++++++++++++++
    http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#MacPorts

After installing Macports, ...

        sudo port install octave-devel +atlas+fltk+gcc47
        sudo port install mercurial
        sudo port install autoconf
        sudo port install automake
        sudo port install flex
+++++++++++++++

Every step has been done. Now may I ask where can I find the m-files that I need to work on in my MAC OS directories? Unfortunately I cannot find them now....

Ming, before going any further, PLEASE respect the list's practice of bottom posting.  No top-posting.

> Because it is difficult to read.
>> Why is top posting discouraged?
>>> Top posting is discouraged.

> Bottom posting is proper etiquette here
>> Why is bottom posting preferred?
>>> Because it is easy to read.

We also prefer that emails be plain text (avoid html, etc)

Ben

Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT ERROR?

bpabbott
On May 20, 2013, at 02:40 AM, Ming Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Ben,
I have received such kind of information about bottom/top posting before, however, I do not really understand how can I do bottom-posting instead of top-posting using Gmail...Sorry about this. Could you please offer a guide?
Kind regards,
Ming Lin

I just ran Gmail, and have no problem scrolling down to the bottom of the email and typing a response there.

The way to enable bottom posting is to use the reply button to the upper right of the displayed email.  This will also allow you to set for format to "plain text" (look for the link in the format bar above the editing field).  Then scroll down to the end and enter your reply there.

Also, please *always* reply-all.

You'll get responses from more people if you (1) bottom post, (2) reply-all and (3) use plain-text.

Ben

Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT ERROR?

Ming Liu-2
Am I still top-posting and using formats now?

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 20, 2013, at 02:40 AM, Ming Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Ben,
> I have received such kind of information about bottom/top posting before, however, I do not really understand how can I do bottom-posting instead of top-posting using Gmail...Sorry about this. Could you please offer a guide?
> Kind regards,
> Ming Lin
>

> I just ran Gmail, and have no problem scrolling down to the bottom of the email and typing a response there.
>

> The way to enable bottom posting is to use the reply button to the upper right of the displayed email.  This will also allow you to set for format to "plain text" (look for the link in the format bar above the editing field).  Then scroll down to the end and enter your reply there.
>

> Also, please *always* reply-all.
>

> You'll get responses from more people if you (1) bottom post, (2) reply-all and (3) use plain-text.
>

> Ben

Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT ERROR?

José Luis García Pallero
2013/5/20 Ming Liu <[hidden email]>
Am I still top-posting and using formats now?

Yes, you are top posting. In gmain, when you reply (don't forget reply-all), you can see an empty answer window. In such window, at the bottom you can see three dots (...). You must click on them and then all the previous answers in the thread are expanded. You can now write your mail after the ald answers.

Cheers

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 20, 2013, at 02:40 AM, Ming Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Ben,
> I have received such kind of information about bottom/top posting before, however, I do not really understand how can I do bottom-posting instead of top-posting using Gmail...Sorry about this. Could you please offer a guide?
> Kind regards,
> Ming Lin
>

> I just ran Gmail, and have no problem scrolling down to the bottom of the email and typing a response there.
>

> The way to enable bottom posting is to use the reply button to the upper right of the displayed email.  This will also allow you to set for format to "plain text" (look for the link in the format bar above the editing field).  Then scroll down to the end and enter your reply there.
>

> Also, please *always* reply-all.
>

> You'll get responses from more people if you (1) bottom post, (2) reply-all and (3) use plain-text.
>

> Ben

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

On May 20, 2013, at 6:23 PM, Ming Liu wrote:

Am I still top-posting and using formats now?

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 20, 2013, at 02:40 AM, Ming Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Ben,
> I have received such kind of information about bottom/top posting before, however, I do not really understand how can I do bottom-posting instead of top-posting using Gmail...Sorry about this. Could you please offer a guide?
> Kind regards,
> Ming Lin
>

> I just ran Gmail, and have no problem scrolling down to the bottom of the email and typing a response there.
>

> The way to enable bottom posting is to use the reply button to the upper right of the displayed email.  This will also allow you to set for format to "plain text" (look for the link in the format bar above the editing field).  Then scroll down to the end and enter your reply there.
>

> Also, please *always* reply-all.
>

> You'll get responses from more people if you (1) bottom post, (2) reply-all and (3) use plain-text.
>

> Ben

Yes. You are still top-posting.  From gmail, you'll need to scroll down below the prior comments before typing.

Be sure to click on the left pointing "reply" button (see below).  Otherwise, you will not be able to scroll down below the prior comments.

Ben

On May 20, 2013, at 6:40 PM, Ming Liu wrote:

> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM, José Luis García Pallero <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > 2013/5/20 Ming Liu <[hidden email]>
> >>
> >> Am I still top-posting and using formats now?
> >

> > Yes, you are top posting. In gmain, when you reply (don't forget reply-all), you can see an empty answer window. In such window, at the bottom you can see three dots (...). You must click on them and then all the previous answers in the thread are expanded. You can now write your mail after the ald answers.
> >
> > Cheers

> > --
> > José Luis García Pallero
> > [hidden email]
> > (o<
> > / / \
> > V_/_
> > Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!
>
> I think I am not top-posting now....
> Thank you José, that is really helpful!

You're definitely "bottom-posing".  Thanks

Ben

On May 20, 2013, at 6:28 PM, José Luis García Pallero wrote:

> 2013/5/20 Ming Liu <[hidden email]>
> Am I still top-posting and using formats now?
>
> Yes, you are top posting. In gmain, when you reply (don't forget reply-all), you can see an empty answer window. In such window, at the bottom you can see three dots (...). You must click on them and then all the previous answers in the thread are expanded. You can now write your mail after the ald answers.
>
> Cheers

José, thanks for pointing out the dots.  I hadn't noticed them before.

Ben

Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT ERROR?

nrjank
On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 6:57 AM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
On May 20, 2013, at 6:28 PM, José Luis García Pallero wrote:

> 2013/5/20 Ming Liu <[hidden email]>
> Am I still top-posting and using formats now?
>
> Yes, you are top posting. In gmain, when you reply (don't forget reply-all), you can see an empty answer window. In such window, at the bottom you can see three dots (...). You must click on them and then all the previous answers in the thread are expanded. You can now write your mail after the ald answers.
>
> Cheers

José, thanks for pointing out the dots.  I hadn't noticed them before.

Ben

Gmail's somewhat recent format changes included auto hiding repetitive posts (with the dots ...) in an effort to streamline their conversation style display. this works very well for everything except mailing lists with a bottom-posting convention. And despite a lot of clamoring in the support group there is, and likely won't ever be, an option to change default behavior in this regard. So it goes :)

nickj

Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT ERROR?

Ming Liu-2

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ming, **please** "reply-all" so that others can follow along and not answer previously answered questions.  Also type you response at the **end** of the email so that those arriving later can follow the discussion.  I've responded further at the bottom.
>
> On May 19, 2013, at 9:41 PM, Ming Liu wrote:

> >> Have you installed mercurial?  If not, please tell us which OS you're on and someone willl be able to help
> >>
> >> If you already installed mercurial, have you setup a local mercurial archive for Octave?
> >>
> >> Ben
> >
> > Thank you Ben!
> > I am using mac OS system. Thanks very much for that upcoming help! I gratefully look forward for it.
> > Kind regards,
> > Ming
>
> Ok.  To start I recommend you install a package management system.  Fink and Macports are good choices which I have experience with.  Homebrew is also available, but I've never used it.  I'm no longer building the development sources using Fink, but can help you with Macports.
>
>         http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#MacPorts
>
> After installing Macports, ...
>
>         sudo port install octave-devel +atlas+fltk+gcc47
>         sudo port install mercurial
>         sudo port install autoconf
>         sudo port install automake
>         sudo port install flex
>
> The install of octave-devel will provide all of Octave's dependencies.  After installing mercurial, autoconf and automake, you'll be ready to follow the instructions at the link below.
>
>         http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html#Contributing-Guidelines
>
> Ben

Hi Ben, I have run all these lines in Mac OS's command window, and it worked! Thank you.
However, there is another simple question. I am still confused about the path of Octave installed in my computer. I have searched some directories but could not find Octave source files. If I want to modify some m-files, I think firstly I need to find them before modifying them, and then try to generate patches. Could you also help me with this? :)
Kind regards,
Ming Liu

Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT ERROR?

c.-2

On 21 May 2013, at 07:25, Ming Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ben, I have run all these lines in Mac OS's command window, and it worked! Thank you.
> However, there is another simple question. I am still confused about the path of Octave installed in my computer. I have searched some directories but could not find Octave source files. If I want to modify some m-files, I think firstly I need to find them before modifying them, and then try to generate patches. Could you also help me with this? :)
> Kind regards,
> Ming Liu

Ming,

If you're interested in contributing changes to Octave sources
you should not be changing the Octave files installed by macports
but rather clone the Octave mercurial repository and working there:
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/

If rather than to core Octave you wish to add functionalities to an existing
Octave-Forge package you should check out the subversion repository instead:
http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code/HEAD/tree/

this section of the manual may provide you with useful info:
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html

And also these sections in the wiki might help:
http://wiki.octave.org/Main_Page#Building_Octave
http://wiki.octave.org/Main_Page#Octave-Forge

HTH,
c.

P.S. BTW, macports installs your files in /opt/local.
 to see where a particular .m file is located on your machine type

 >> which function_name

 at the Octave prompt. while typing

 >> edit function_name

 will open (a copy of) the source file in your default editor.

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 5:08 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> cdOn 19 May 2013 09:08, Vytautas Jancauskas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > If you mean how to contribute to the octave code base then the
> > standard OSS procedure these days
>
> We don't endorse "open source software" in Octave. We endorse free
> software:
>
>     http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
>
> > is to fork the repository, make the changes and create a pull
> > request I guess.
>
> I find it a tad strange that github has popularised the term "fork"
> for "clone". The word "fork" for repos has connotations of
> irreconcilable differences between two development teams (e.g. Emacs
> and XEmacs; MySQL and MariaDB). We would prefer that you don't fork
> Octave in this sense. Hopefully you don't have irreconcilable
> differences with Octave yet. You're welcome to clone our repo,
> however:
>
>     http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/
>
> While pull requests for our repo are fine, you can also just send us
> patches created by "hg export" or however else you can make them. We
> prefer patches or pull requests, but it's more important for us that
> you send us patches in any way you can. It's just easier for us to
> apply hg patches or pull requests, so it's more likely for your
> patches to get applied more quickly this way.
>
>     http://jordi.inversethought.com/blog/how-to-write-a-patch-for-octave/
>     http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Hi,
May I ask a personal question? As I can see that many contributors are working hardly for Octave, so what are the motivations for doing so? Sorry for bothering you.
Kind regards,
Ming Liu

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Ming Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 5:08 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > cdOn 19 May 2013 09:08, Vytautas Jancauskas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > If you mean how to contribute to the octave code base then the
> > > standard OSS procedure these days
> >
> > We don't endorse "open source software" in Octave. We endorse free
> > software:
> >
> >     http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
> >
> > > is to fork the repository, make the changes and create a pull
> > > request I guess.
> >
> > I find it a tad strange that github has popularised the term "fork"
> > for "clone". The word "fork" for repos has connotations of
> > irreconcilable differences between two development teams (e.g. Emacs
> > and XEmacs; MySQL and MariaDB). We would prefer that you don't fork
> > Octave in this sense. Hopefully you don't have irreconcilable
> > differences with Octave yet. You're welcome to clone our repo,
> > however:
> >
> >     http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/
> >
> > While pull requests for our repo are fine, you can also just send us
> > patches created by "hg export" or however else you can make them. We
> > prefer patches or pull requests, but it's more important for us that
> > you send us patches in any way you can. It's just easier for us to
> > apply hg patches or pull requests, so it's more likely for your
> > patches to get applied more quickly this way.
> >
> >     http://jordi.inversethought.com/blog/how-to-write-a-patch-for-octave/
> >     http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html
> >
> > - Jordi G. H.
>
> Hi,
> May I ask a personal question? As I can see that many contributors are working hardly for Octave, so what are the motivations for doing so? Sorry for bothering you.
> Kind regards,
> Ming Liu

Sorry for using all capital letters in the subject line. Until now I know it is very inappropriate.
Kind regards,
Ming Liu

12