Re: Octave 2.0.13 on linux & seg fault

viveks-octave
On 17 May 1999 I wrote to the list:

> I tried in vain to get the rpm for 2.0.13 as I could not connect to
> contrib.redhat.com as mentioned in the particular thread.

I have downloaded the rpm binary for octave 2.0.13

ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/conectiva/3.0/i386/conectiva/RPMS/
octave-2.0.13-3cl.i386.rpm

I have installed it on a RedHat Linux 5.2 machine. Octave seems to work
ONLY for user 'root'. (At least I am able to get in, help -i, and do
simple arithmetic, etc. and quit safely :)

However, when invoked from a normal user, it quits after "Segmentation
fault (core dumped)". What could be the reason?

Regards and TiA,

Vivek...

Re: Octave 2.0.13 on linux & seg fault

Himanshu Gohel-2
Hello Vivek,

-=>I have installed it on a RedHat Linux 5.2 machine. Octave seems to work
-=>ONLY for user 'root'. (At least I am able to get in, help -i, and do
-=>simple arithmetic, etc. and quit safely :)
-=>
-=>However, when invoked from a normal user, it quits after "Segmentation
-=>fault (core dumped)". What could be the reason?

Check permissions on all files...

Do you have a tracing utility on Linux like truss/trace/sar?
You can use those to monitor what the program is doing.
For example "truss -t open octave" would monitor all open()
calls made by octave.

Or you could look at the core file produced by octave in a debugger
to see at what point it is crashing.

Himanshu Gohel, [hidden email]