Re: Octave with symbolic on mac

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave with symbolic on mac

Colin Macdonald-2
On 29/10/16 04:30, Julio Huato wrote:

> Dear Mr Macdonald,
>
> I've installed Octave, Python, and Anaconda (with SymPy 1.0) on my Mac,
> but for some reason Octave doesn't run the symbolic package.  The Octave
> error message is this:
>
>>> pkg load symbolic
>>> pkg install -forge symbolic
> configure: WARNING: Failed to import SymPy: many features will not work
> configure: WARNING: SymPy version 0.7.6 or later is recommended
> For information about changes from previous versions of the symbolic
> package, run 'news symbolic'.

Hi Julio,

(I've CC'd the [hidden email] mailing list, hope that's ok).

Perhaps your system has more than one python installed.  You might try
doing the following (within Octave):

setenv PYTHON \path\to\your\preferred\python

(Or maybe "sympref python \path\to\your\preferred\python" if you're on
an older version of Symbolic).

best,
Colin

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave with symbolic on mac

Julio Huato
Thank you, Colin.  This may be a bit over my head.  (And I know mine is a textbook case of how not to ask for help.)

I tried setenv PYTHON with every path leading to python.app file but nothing worked.  (setenv is the right way with my version of Symbolic.)

I may have to cut my losses and use some other approach.

Best,

Julio

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 8:38 PM Colin Macdonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 29/10/16 04:30, Julio Huato wrote:
> Dear Mr Macdonald,
>
> I've installed Octave, Python, and Anaconda (with SymPy 1.0) on my Mac,
> but for some reason Octave doesn't run the symbolic package.  The Octave
> error message is this:
>
>>> pkg load symbolic
>>> pkg install -forge symbolic
> configure: WARNING: Failed to import SymPy: many features will not work
> configure: WARNING: SymPy version 0.7.6 or later is recommended
> For information about changes from previous versions of the symbolic
> package, run 'news symbolic'.

Hi Julio,

(I've CC'd the [hidden email] mailing list, hope that's ok).

Perhaps your system has more than one python installed.  You might try
doing the following (within Octave):

setenv PYTHON \path\to\your\preferred\python

(Or maybe "sympref python \path\to\your\preferred\python" if you're on
an older version of Symbolic).

best,
Colin

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave with symbolic on mac

Julio Huato
Dear Colin,

Just to let you know that I got around my problem (I didn't solve it directly) by using Octave Online, which allows me to run Symbolic, and do what I need to do without glitch.  

Thanks!

Julio

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 9:13 PM Julio Huato <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you, Colin.  This may be a bit over my head.  (And I know mine is a textbook case of how not to ask for help.)

I tried setenv PYTHON with every path leading to python.app file but nothing worked.  (setenv is the right way with my version of Symbolic.)

I may have to cut my losses and use some other approach.

Best,

Julio

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 8:38 PM Colin Macdonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 29/10/16 04:30, Julio Huato wrote:
> Dear Mr Macdonald,
>
> I've installed Octave, Python, and Anaconda (with SymPy 1.0) on my Mac,
> but for some reason Octave doesn't run the symbolic package.  The Octave
> error message is this:
>
>>> pkg load symbolic
>>> pkg install -forge symbolic
> configure: WARNING: Failed to import SymPy: many features will not work
> configure: WARNING: SymPy version 0.7.6 or later is recommended
> For information about changes from previous versions of the symbolic
> package, run 'news symbolic'.

Hi Julio,

(I've CC'd the [hidden email] mailing list, hope that's ok).

Perhaps your system has more than one python installed.  You might try
doing the following (within Octave):

setenv PYTHON \path\to\your\preferred\python

(Or maybe "sympref python \path\to\your\preferred\python" if you're on
an older version of Symbolic).

best,
Colin

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave with symbolic on mac

Colin Macdonald-2
On 30/10/16 06:01, Julio Huato wrote:
> Just to let you know that I got around my problem (I didn't solve it
> directly) by using Octave Online, which allows me to run Symbolic, and
> do what I need to do without glitch.

That's good news.

best,
Colin

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave