Re: Regarding Numerical Project at Octave

Re: Regarding Numerical Project at Octave

Carlo de Falco-2

On 11 Apr 2013, at 19:26, Umang Gupta <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

> Carlo,
> I had already wrote some lines about it on octave maintainers list (http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Gsoc-2013-Numerical-td4651539.html) But I got no response. Hence I wrote you and Nir separate mails. I want to know more about the project.

Umang,

All info on proposed projects can be found here:

http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas

feel free to propose your own idea if you one you like better.
I also just added instructions on how to apply for GSoC here:

http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Your_steps_to_apply

As a general comment, when preparing your application I'd recommend avoiding too bold
statements like:

"General purpose Finite Element library and PDE solver: I have very little idea about algorithms for PDE and finite elements. But I think I can read them and with your help understand them quickly."

It usually take two full semesters for a master's student majoring in computational mathematics
to get started with these topics, it's hard to believe you'd be able to catch up before GSoC if you're starting from scratch.

best wishes,
c.

Re: Regarding Numerical Project at Octave

Nir Krakauer-2
Dear Umang,

I'm happy to hear of your interest in GNU Octave. I would definitely
encourage you to develop your project ideas and apply to GSoC. Having
contributed in some way to Octave or other numerically oriented
open-source projects, though not required, would make your candidacy
stronger.

Sincerely,

Nir