Re: Simulink-like thing for Octave (was: ?)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Simulink-like thing for Octave (was: ?)

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Hi Enrico. Please use relevant subject lines when you write to this
mailing list.

On 26/01/2008, Enrico Bedogni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> maybe it's a stupid question but i'm just started to use octave and i don't know if there is sonthing like simulink (as in matlab)

There's nothing like it at the moment, although people always seem to
reference Scicraft when answering this FAQ:

     http://www.scicraft.org

There have been various attempts in the past to do something like
Simulink for Octave, but none seem to have gotten past the planning
stages.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Simulink-like thing for Octave (was: ?)

Muthiah Annamalai-3
Jordi Gutie'rrez Hermoso wrote:

> Hi Enrico. Please use relevant subject lines when you write to this
> mailing list.
>
> On 26/01/2008, Enrico Bedogni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
>> maybe it's a stupid question but i'm just started to use octave <SNIP>
>> reference Scicraft when answering this FAQ:
>>
>>      http://www.scicraft.org
>>
>> There have been various attempts in the past to do something like
>> Simulink for Octave, but none seem to have gotten past the planning
>> stages.
>>
>> HTH,
>> - Jordi G. H.
Can I ask which were the attempts? And if you could point me to any relevant
discussions?
-Muthu

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Simulink-like thing for Octave (was: ?)

Eduardo Adam
In reply to this post by Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
On Saturday 26 January 2008 11:38, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:


> On 26/01/2008, Enrico Bedogni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > maybe it's a stupid question but i'm just started to use octave and i
> > don't know if there is sonthing like simulink (as in matlab)

For people who work in Control System, the best option is Simulink (from
Matlab) because there are many toolbox related to control for Simulink.  In
that sense, maybe Scilab is a nice option, specially because it is a GNU
software but it is outside of the octave.  
According to my knowledge, we don't have a toolbox like Simulink for octave,
and I don't know if there is some project for that.  
It would be nice to have this toolbox ....

Good luck
Eduardo.

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Simulink-like thing for Octave (was: ?)

David Bateman-3
Eduardo Adam wrote:

> On Saturday 26 January 2008 11:38, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
>
>  
>> On 26/01/2008, Enrico Bedogni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>    
>>> maybe it's a stupid question but i'm just started to use octave and i
>>> don't know if there is sonthing like simulink (as in matlab)
>>>      
>
> For people who work in Control System, the best option is Simulink (from
> Matlab) because there are many toolbox related to control for Simulink.  In
> that sense, maybe Scilab is a nice option, specially because it is a GNU
> software but it is outside of the octave.  
> According to my knowledge, we don't have a toolbox like Simulink for octave,
> and I don't know if there is some project for that.  
> It would be nice to have this toolbox ....
>
>  
It definitely isn't a "GNU software", and in fact its license is not GPL
compatible and its commercial restrictions painful for those of us
working in Industry. Though there has been rumors for a long while of a
change to a GPL license.. See

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#NonFreeSoftwareLicense

D.

--
David Bateman                                [hidden email]
Motorola Labs - Paris                        +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE                  +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)

The information contained in this communication has been classified as:

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Simulink-like thing for Octave (was: ?)

John W. Eaton-6
In reply to this post by Eduardo Adam
On 28-Jan-2008, Eduardo Adam wrote:

| For people who work in Control System, the best option is Simulink (from
| Matlab) because there are many toolbox related to control for
| Simulink.

For people who care about freedom and not being tied to proprietary
software systems, this can't possibly be the best solution.

jwe
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave