Re: Symbolic package 2.9.0

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2020-03-11 3:52 p.m., Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> I see it in the news that the default python interpreter is now python3.
>
> I have python 3.7.0 installed on my windows system (using default
> install parameters), my understanding is that the default configuration
> system call is just 'python':

what OS are you on?  I believe the Python community recommends the
binary be called "python3".

At least on Fedora, there was quite an effort to not have software
calling "python" but rather specify python2 or python3...

Re: Symbolic package 2.9.0

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2020-03-11 4:09 p.m., Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> Windows 10. Used the vanilla Python installer for 3.7.  realize stable
> is now 3.9.1 but I'm on a managed system so I'm out of date .not sure if
> that change was made for windows.

3.7 is not so old.

To me, [PEP394](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/) makes it
sound like "python3" should be available

> We expect Unix-like software distributions (including systems like macOS and Cygwin) to install the python2 command into the default path whenever a version of the Python 2 interpreter is installed, and the same for python3 and the Python 3 interpreter.

But OTOH it also says:

> This PEP deliberately excludes any proposals relating to Microsoft Windows,

Windows... *throws up hands*...  *sigh*.  I will explore a bit but maybe
the default on Windows needs to still be `python` not `python3`?

Colin

Re: Symbolic package 2.9.0

nrjank
On 2020-03-11 4:09 p.m., Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

Windows... *throws up hands*...  *sigh*.  I will explore a bit but maybe
the default on Windows needs to still be `python` not `python3`?

Colin

 for now I've just added

setenv PYTHON python

to my .octaverc.  I might be the only windows user not using the bundle, but I doubt it.

Re: Symbolic package 2.9.0

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2020-03-11 4:48 p.m., Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> setenv PYTHON python
>
> to my .octaverc.  I might be the only windows user not using the bundle,
> but I doubt it.

Yes, that is the right fix.

I've confirmed that the official python installer does not give a
`python3`...

I've filed this issue:

https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/issues/1010

It would be helpful if someone on Win10 and Anaconda can check what
cmd.exe says for these two commands:

where python
where python3

If Anaconda only provides python and not python3 its clear we should
default to python...

Colin

RE: Re: Symbolic package 2.9.0

John Donoghue-3

> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 12:48:23 -0400
> From: Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]>
> To: Colin Macdonald <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>, Help
> GNU Octave <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Symbolic package 2.9.0
>
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 12:36 PM Colin Macdonald <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On 2020-03-11 4:09 p.m., Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> >
> > Windows... *throws up hands*...  *sigh*.  I will explore a bit but maybe
> > the default on Windows needs to still be `python` not `python3`?
> >
> > Colin
> >

>  for now I've just added
>
> setenv PYTHON python
>
> to my .octaverc.  I might be the only windows user not using the bundle,
> but I doubt it.
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

The next mxe installer for octave will have a version on python already installed as well as the symbolic package

Re: Re: Symbolic package 2.9.0

nrjank

The next mxe installer for octave will have a version on python already installed as well as the symbolic package

wow. how big is that going to be?  it'll have python with sympy preinstalled? or it'll just have Colin's symbolic-python-bundle preinstalled?

Re: Symbolic package 2.9.0

John Donoghue-3
On 3/11/20 9:39 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

The next mxe installer for octave will have a version on python already installed as well as the symbolic package

wow. how big is that going to be?  it'll have python with sympy preinstalled? or it'll just have Colin's symbolic-python-bundle preinstalled?

I added the embedded python version rather than the full blown python - so around 15 meg ? In addition mpmath and sympy.

A couple of other packages also use python if its there