Re: confirm 3b81c545f8a93b416e07a812735294b5d5c0a987

Re: confirm 3b81c545f8a93b416e07a812735294b5d5c0a987

Thomas D. Dean-2
On 2020-03-20 07:30, [hidden email] wrote:

> Your membership in the mailing list Help-octave has been disabled due
> to excessive bounces The last bounce received from you was dated
> 20-Mar-2020.  You will not get any more messages from this list until
> you re-enable your membership.  You will receive 3 more reminders like
> this before your membership in the list is deleted.
>
> To re-enable your membership, you can simply respond to this message
> (leaving the Subject: line intact), or visit the confirmation page at
>
>      https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/confirm/help-octave/3b81c545f8a93b416e07a812735294b5d5c0a987
>

> You can also visit your membership page at
>
>      https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/options/help-octave/tomdean%40wavecable.com
>

> On your membership page, you can change various delivery options such
> as your email address and whether you get digests or not.  As a
> reminder, your membership password is
>
>      agzoozxu
>
> If you have any questions or problems, you can contact the list owner
> at
>
>      [hidden email]

How do I find out what is causing this??

Tom Dean

Re: confirm 3b81c545f8a93b416e07a812735294b5d5c0a987

nrjank
> How do I find out what is causing this??

I  have the same thing occur regularly, but I know the reason for my case. It means you're not getting all messages, and it sees the bounce. Is this the first message you've gotten? It could have just been caused by a temporary link issue bouncing a few messages, although email is supposed to 'hold and retry'.  Most likely it's a configuration issue.

I finally found out my issue by contacting the 'owner' link at the bottom of the email. It's read by octave and GNU mailing list staff.

In my case, my asme.org forwarding alias is not set up to properly handle sender authentication methods used to reduce spam (including such things as Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and Conformance (DMARC),  Sender Policy Framework (SPF), and DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM)).  It currently forwards to my gmail account, and Google will outright reject any messages that don't comply with their authentication method.

I get no notice of this, and gnu.org listserv sees it as a bounced message, and they periodically send me one of these.  One click fix, but it is annoying as it happens all the time.  I have certain banks, etc., that I cannot get email from through the alias at all.

tl;dr: email the owner link.  they likely don't retain a bounce report but they may be able to help.

nickj